Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

using old parts for a NAS storage on a student network

I plan on using an old CPU i3 and motherboard LGA 1155. However, the only thing I do not understand very well is networking. Since I am on a student ethernet and wifi, I have security concerns since I want to be able to access them with both my laptop and my desktop. I also plan on either using TureNas or Unraid
  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Fascinated Viewer said:

I plan on using an old CPU i3 and motherboard LGA 1155. However, the only thing I do not understand very well is networking. Since I am on a student ethernet and wifi, I have security concerns since I want to be able to access them with both my laptop and my desktop. I also plan on either using TureNas or Unraid
  

Can you run your own router on your Ethernet connection and plug your machines into they and they wifi? This way you can segregate your network devices away from the broader connections. I did this while I was on campus for security mostly and better wifi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

If your university is anything like mine, attaching any networking device to the network is "TAMPERING WITH SCHOOL PROPERTY!" and is punishable by expulsion after your first offense. The school WiFi was shitty and unreliable and was using about 12 year old obsolete networking gear, where literally a $20 router from Walmart was exponentially better. If you went to academic computing about any network issue, you got a response of "sucks to suck, not our problem, fill out a complaint form"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

If your university is anything like mine, attaching any networking device to the network is "TAMPERING WITH SCHOOL PROPERTY!" and is punishable by expulsion after your first offense. The school WiFi was shitty and unreliable and was using about 12 year old obsolete networking gear, where literally a $20 router from Walmart was exponentially better. If you went to academic computing about any network issue, you got a response of "sucks to suck, not our problem, fill out a complaint form"

In the UK, uni's can have their own accommodation, but it's more common for students to seek out private halls of residents or rooms that the uni book out. I am not restricted in terms of plugging in different networking equipment, and everyone gets 100 MB down and 10 upload. The student accommodation around I live uses an ISP called ASK4, which is good from experience. I also have a gigabit switch; however, I don't know how to incorporate it other than just split the ethernet. I have not tried a router yet and am not sure if I need a gigabit one? (they cost £59.99) ($75.65) since my files can be significant, with some projects being 1 gigabyte or photographs which are 500MB each.

Edited by Fascinated Viewer
very dyslexic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, m9x3mos said:

Can you run your own router on your Ethernet connection and plug your machines into they and they wifi? This way you can segregate your network devices away from the broader connections. I did this while I was on campus for security mostly and better wifi.

I honestly do not know, I have a 5 port network switch for sharing the internet to my devices, but I have not experimented. Home assistance like Alexa does not work on the wifi here 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Fascinated Viewer said:

I honestly do not know, I have a 5 port network switch for sharing the internet to my devices, but I have not experimented. Home assistance like Alexa does not work on the wifi here 

If they allowed you to use your own switch you can probably use your own router. Any cheap n or ax router would do the trick in this regard. Then only anything on the router can access machines on it but you can access anything on the outside of the router.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Fascinated Viewer said:

I honestly do not know, I have a 5 port network switch for sharing the internet to my devices, but I have not experimented. Home assistance like Alexa does not work on the wifi here 

Oh and to be clear, I would ask first if this is permissible by the school to stay out of trouble before doing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

Oh and to be clear, I would ask first if this is permissible by the school to stay out of trouble before doing it.

Nah, it's fine. The current accommodation I am in is kicking me out anyways, ahaha. I plan on using this solution with my new student accommodation as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×