Teaching Students About Coding/Computers

BardAnon

I'm a teacher in America, and next year I may be taking on a club advisor position for the High School Business Professionals of America (BPA) club. The BPA allows students to compete across the state and country in a variety of events related to business, information systems, digital design, and pretty much anything to do with either computers, networking, or public speaking. I'm not sure how many students will be interested in competing in the more tech-heavy events, like computer security and Linux OS fundamentals, but I'd like to be able to help them understand the basics of those kinds of topics. For example, the test that students take for computer security may include questions about things like "What number is used to signal a server error in HTTP" and questions on the different types of attacks.

Does anyone know of resources that I could use to help teach students about these kinds of topics? I don't know much myself, and I'm not expecting the kids to get 100% of the questions right on these tests, but I'd like to be able to give students who are interested in these topics a chance to actually learn about them.

A very good newbie friendly resource (course) I know would be CS50, however it mostly covers programming with very little time on cybersecurity and CLI (somewhat related to Linux fundamentals).

There are also Coursera and Edx platforms that have free courses, however can't really pin point you there.

As for random bits of information, concerning everything computing - Computerphile:

when I was in HS (in the USA) we had SkillsUSA-VICA  don't remember what VICA stood for but the PC/Tech part was more or less centered around the A+ CompTIA material. Professor Messer https://www.professormesser.com/) has free videos that cover all of the A+ exams, there are paid options that allow you to download offline versions of the videos as well as course notes and other printed material. a More entertaining video series is from Mike Meyers which is on udemy for 19.99 right now (its two parts each part is 19.99) There is also a companion book that can be purchased ( https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-Guide-220-1001-220-1002/dp/1260454037/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3B7MDYR78HRBT&keywords=A%2B&qid=1654179870&sprefix=a%2B%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-4) There are also youtube videos etc. the A+ touches on linux, Mac and basic networking and security as well. good luck.