Can a decent 650watt PSU handle a 12700K and RTX2080?

JayEee
Go to solution Solved by JayEee,
4 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Only if you're overclocking or remove the power limits, otherwise the maximum boost is 180W, but it should be around slightly below that at 165W or so under normal full load like Blender and CPU encoding, the maximum would probably only be reached in some stress tests. You can also lower the power limits for a small performance hit if you're worried about the power consumption. You can also undervolt both CPU and GPU and lower quite a bit the power consumption without any noticeable hit to performance.

I'm assuming it's the XFX XTR 650W, which is in the A tier low priority in the tier list.

yeah sry it's the XFX (fixed the typo).

ok 180w seems more reasonable, and good to know I can adjust the power limits.

Thanks all for the info 👍

Hi Guys

Current system:

i7 7700 - HWMonitor says 75w under 100%

RTX2080 - GPU-Z says 220w under 100% load

XFX XTR 650w (80Gold)

Upgrade:

I have on order:
Intel  i7 12700K
Gigabyte Z690 Ultra mobo
32GB DDR5 6000, and dual 120mm fan AIO watercooler for the CPU.

Some googling suggests that the 12700K can reach 270watts under full load.

So if both the CPU and GPU were at full load, those two components would reach 490watts, which leaves 160watts for the rest of the system (two 3.5" HDD's, and two M.2 SSD's, Fans, RAM etc..).

I do some occasional handbrake H264 encoding and may play a game at the same time, so potentially it could reach near 100% CPU and GPU usage.

Will that XTR 650w be able to handle the system?
(I don't plan on overclocking anything)

Logi MX KEYS - high quality low profile membrane keyboard  - perfect for gaming imo 🙂

The PSU should be fine. Very high demands reported for Alder Lake CPU generally require removal of power limits. It's difficult to recreate the conditions in normal use.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

It's a bit borderline.

And the XFR 650w is XFX 650W? or what model? It probably is.

Theoretically it should all work.

I edit my posts more often than not

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

It's a bit borderline.

And the XFR 650w is XFX 650W? or what model?

image.jpeg.5ad36eb9a1540cdca21450401618dab3.jpeg

Logi MX KEYS - high quality low profile membrane keyboard  - perfect for gaming imo 🙂

50 minutes ago, JayEee said:

Some googling suggests that the 12700K can reach 270watts under full load.

Only if you're overclocking or remove the power limits, otherwise the maximum boost is 180W, but it should be around slightly below that at 165W or so under normal full load like Blender and CPU encoding, the maximum would probably only be reached in some stress tests. You can also lower the power limits for a small performance hit if you're worried about the power consumption or undervolt both CPU and GPU and lower quite a bit the power consumption without any noticeable hit to performance.

9 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

It's a bit borderline.

And the XFR 650w is XFX 650W? or what model?

I'm assuming it's the XFX XTR 650W, which is in the A tier low priority in the tier list.

4 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

Only if you're overclocking or remove the power limits, otherwise the maximum boost is 180W, but it should be around slightly below that at 165W or so under normal full load like Blender and CPU encoding, the maximum would probably only be reached in some stress tests. You can also lower the power limits for a small performance hit if you're worried about the power consumption. You can also undervolt both CPU and GPU and lower quite a bit the power consumption without any noticeable hit to performance.

13 minutes ago, JayEee said:

I misremembered the maximum, it's actually 190W. Also here the package power while encoding with x264:

Intel Core i7-12700K Power Consumption

So you can have some idea of the performance penalty of lowering the power limit, there's a nice post on TechPowerUp forum showing the 12700K in different power limits in Blender.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-tested-at-power-limits-between-50-w-and-241-w.289572/page-4#post-4726291

Important to note that some software might be more impacted than others and there might be differences between individual CPUs, so you should do your own testing if you decide to do it.

10 minutes ago, KaitouX said:

I misremembered the maximum, it's actually 190W. Also here the package power while encoding with x264:

Intel Core i7-12700K Power Consumption

So you can have some idea of the performance penalty of lowering the power limit, there's a nice post on TechPowerUp forum showing the 12700K in different power limits.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-tested-at-power-limits-between-50-w-and-241-w.289572/page-4#post-4726291

Important to note that some software might be more impacted than others and there might be differences between individual CPUs, so you should do your own testing if you decide to do it.

Good info, thanks.
I don't like the idea of stressing a PSU at borderline and I think this PSU is about 6+ years old so perhaps I should just upgrade to a nice 850w and sell the 650w combined with the original case, mobo, cpu, ram, cooler.

I'll have a look at that link 👍

The Corsair RM850 850W seems like the best choice after some googling.
The RM series seemed to be recommended the most.

32 minutes ago, JayEee said:

The Corsair RM850 850W seems like the best choice after some googling.
The RM series seemed to be recommended the most.

Check pricing of RMX, it is sometimes fairly close in price and is better.

11 minutes ago, brob said:

Check pricing of RMX, it is sometimes fairly close in price and is better.

I'll consider the RMx, thanks

Edit...$10 difference, a few cups of coffee lol. RMx it is.
HX is platinum rated, would paying a premium up-front save you $$$ in the long run 🤔

But .... the new 12 volt PSU will be the norm soon, so my next PC upgrade may need one of these new 12v units, so might as well just get the RMx.

9 minutes ago, JayEee said:

I'll consider the RMx, thanks

Edit...$10 difference, a few cups of coffee lol. RMx it is.
HX is platinum rated, would paying a premium up-front save you $$$ in the long run 🤔

The HX is generally not worth the premium unless the system will spend a significant amount of time with heavy loads. That said, some are willing to pay the premium as a contribution to energy use reduction.

4 minutes ago, brob said:

The HX is generally not worth the premium unless the system will spend a significant amount of time with heavy loads. That said, some are willing to pay the premium as a contribution to energy use reduction.

Alright, my PC is generally always on but mostly idle. I'll go for the RMx 👍
Perhaps if I was a crypto miner I would go for Platinum lol