M.2 Pcie 4.0 only using 1x lane, speeds from last decade

ruidlou
Go to solution Solved by YoungBlade,

Have you tried reseating the SSD? Taking it out and putting it back in to make sure it's fully in the slot?

I recently put together this computer but after checking definitions I saw that it was only using 1x lane out of 4x for the ssd.
Crystalmark gives 1700MB/s from the allegedly 7000MB/s (theorical).
Motherboard is B660 DS3H DDR4 from Gigabyte, CPU is Intel 12700 and PSU EVGA 650W GT series.
SSD is Crucial P5 Plus 500GB.
RAM is Patriot Viper Steel, 2x8GB 4400Mhz but running at lower speeds because if I use any XMP profile PC wont boot.
Help please, I can't find any solution online.

Untitled.png

Have you tried reseating the SSD? Taking it out and putting it back in to make sure it's fully in the slot?

Is the M.2 in the top or bottom M.2 slot? The top slot connects to the CPU directly and the bottom slot goes to the chipset. Both would have a control in the BIOS, you might want to toggle between PCIe 3.0 and 4.0

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Is the M.2 in the top or bottom M.2 slot? The top slot connects to the CPU directly and the bottom slot goes to the chipset. Both would have a control in the BIOS, you might want to toggle between PCIe 3.0 and 4.0

Its on the top, the one closest to the CPU, should I try in the other? I can't find the PCIe control on the BIOS, going to reseat and look again in the BIOS.
I saw in another thread that the SATA ports may be using the lanes from the CPU, but deactivated all and the problem persisted.  
Be back soon with news

16 minutes ago, ruidlou said:

Its on the top, the one closest to the CPU, should I try in the other? I can't find the PCIe control on the BIOS, going to reseat and look again in the BIOS.
I saw in another thread that the SATA ports may be using the lanes from the CPU, but deactivated all and the problem persisted.  
Be back soon with news

See if the link speed changes in the second slot.

The CPU PCIe lanes should not be going to SATA, because they're meant to be dedicated to the m.2 alone

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

See if the link speed changes in the second slot.

The CPU PCIe lanes should not be going to SATA, because they're meant to be dedicated to the m.2 alone

That's what I thought! Well, reseating it and changing to a proper M.2 screw did the trick! Thanks for all the help guys, didn't know a bad connection could do this, in my mind if its working is properly mounted, guess I was wrong.
First time using LLT forum, you guys rock!!