New pc builder, power supply question.

L.Holm

My current build is i7 6700, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd, 1tb hard drive, gtx960 oc. It's all running on a evga w3 450w PSU. I bought a gtx 1070 oc as an upgrade and have been told this will run on the 450w ?? Also I want to upgrade my PSU in the near future as I'm adding the 1070, and hopefully soon new case and 5 more case fans. What more budget oriented psus would be good for this build? Or do I even need one?

The ones I was looking at most were the evga w1 600w and the thermaltake smart 700w. Both 80+. Are either of these any good? Would I be ok to use them with my setup? Or does the 450w provide enough. (I do like to do overclocking so I thought maybe a bigger PSU was a good idea) I specifically was looking at these two cause they are at best buy which is one of the only if not the only PC component store in my area.

W1 is not a great PSU and I wouldn't run a 1070 on it. Where are you located and what is your budget

6 hours ago, L.Holm said:

evga w3 450w

2 hours ago, L.Holm said:

evga w1 600w

2 hours ago, L.Holm said:

thermaltake smart 700w

All three are garbage that you don't want to use in any system.

22 hours ago, L.Holm said:

My current build is i7 6700, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd, 1tb hard drive, gtx960 oc. It's all running on a evga w3 450w PSU. I bought a gtx 1070 oc as an upgrade and have been told this will run on the 450w ?? Also I want to upgrade my PSU in the near future as I'm adding the 1070, and hopefully soon new case and 5 more case fans. What more budget oriented psus would be good for this build? Or do I even need one?

18 hours ago, L.Holm said:

The ones I was looking at most were the evga w1 600w and the thermaltake smart 700w. Both 80+. Are either of these any good? Would I be ok to use them with my setup? Or does the 450w provide enough. (I do like to do overclocking so I thought maybe a bigger PSU was a good idea) I specifically was looking at these two cause they are at best buy which is one of the only if not the only PC component store in my area.

I sure hope these aren't the only PSU options available to you.

I was hoping to spend 70 or less for a new PSU. But I would rather have a quality unit and would spend 100. Best buy is the only tech store in my area. I'm near Fargo ND. But I do want something quality for my new 1070.

What about the Corsair cx650m or cx750m? Those are in stock in my area. Are they any good?

I'll probably wait for that Corsair you suggested

Would you recommend I go for the 650 or 750?

650 is plenty for your current built. 750 for a possible new system in the future but in that case you better go for a higher quality RM750.

6 hours ago, L.Holm said:

I was hoping to spend 70 or less for a new PSU. But I would rather have a quality unit and would spend 100. Best buy is the only tech store in my area. I'm near Fargo ND. But I do want something quality for my new 1070.

You can't buy online?

I could buy online, if there's any good units that are cheaper?

3 hours ago, --SID-- said:

650 is plenty for your current built. 750 for a possible new system in the future but in that case you better go for a higher quality RM750.

Probably just go for the 650, if I were to do a new system I'd make a completely new setup.

That evga supernova get 650 is a great price, I think I'll go with that one