Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How screwed am I? (Pun intended)

Go to solution Solved by RollyShed,

By your top circle a blue capacitor is visible and this should be the key to where you are looking at the board with covers off.

Looking at -
https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-rm650-modular-gold-power-supply-review-2019/4/

The 5th and 6th picture down, board out of the case, there doesn't seem to be anything for a screw to hit.
Note that there are two big 270uf capacitors in this version and only one in another version.

Recently I purchased an RM650 from Cosair and it’s safe to say i’ve not been having the greatest time with it. Firstly the 24 pin modular port doesn’t  “click into place”, this is worth noting since i’m considering an RMA...But, heres another issue.

Upon installation I kind of derped out, big time. Instead of using the holes on the PSU actually designed for the screws, I accidentally used 2 ventilation holes that seem to be super duper close to some internals in the PSU, please see attached image. 

Now, i’m left with two questions. 

How likely is it that I damaged any internals in the PSU? (It’s worth nothing the screws I used are around the same length as the ones used to install my motherboard, so not insanely long.)

Will the damage shown in the image void my warranty and thus ability to RMA?

It would bring me great peace of mind (or panic lol) if somebody better versed in PSUs looked at the internals of an RM650 and told me what exactly it is that i’ve screwed near or into, there seems to be a thin metal “bar” near the top screen that i’ve gotten close to. Any help would be dearly appreciated as per usual!

1C2D9F08-7788-47DE-895C-E28519CCB0AB.jpeg

13 minutes ago, GulagSlxg said:

How likely is it that I damaged any internals in the PSU?

unlikely imo, the screw aren't really long enough to have hit anything.

as far as the 24 pin not clicking into place, they can sometimes take a bit of force to click in. look in the socket and see if any of the female pins look bent or out of place. i find user error more likely, no offense.

edit: when pushing in a tough 24 pin, i usually put my fingers under the the mobo where the socket is to avoid to much pressure/flexing on the mobo(if possible).

13 minutes ago, GulagSlxg said:

Will the damage shown in the image void my warranty and thus ability to RMA?

this im really not sure of. technically they could, but it depends on the person reviewing the psu, if they even happen to notice the damage.

By your top circle a blue capacitor is visible and this should be the key to where you are looking at the board with covers off.

Looking at -
https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-rm650-modular-gold-power-supply-review-2019/4/

The 5th and 6th picture down, board out of the case, there doesn't seem to be anything for a screw to hit.
Note that there are two big 270uf capacitors in this version and only one in another version.

Also, it appears you may have your PSU upside down. The shape of the PSU case doesn't seem to match the case cutout. Some require it, I have an RM850x in a 4000X case and I actually had to install it upside down, as the fan exhaust is underneath. That looks to be a Corsair case, possibly a Corsair PSU.

OP: My PC cuts off and crashes. Is the 1000W PSU enough?  ME: 1000W is plenty, PSU or system board could be faulty. Get both tested.

OP: I don't think so, both parts were purchased last week.        😒  Why bother asking if you second-guess the advice?

Friends don't let friends use Apple.                                              NOTE: Recently diagnosed autistic. I don't intend to ruffle anyone's feathers.

19 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Also, it appears you may have your PSU upside down. The shape of the PSU case doesn't seem to match the case cutout. Some require it, I have an RM850x in a 4000X case and I actually had to install it upside down, as the fan exhaust is underneath. That looks to be a Corsair case, possibly a Corsair PSU.

Yeah I do have it upside down, probably should have mentioned that lol my bad

1 hour ago, bmx6454 said:

unlikely imo, the screw aren't really long enough to have hit anything.

as far as the 24 pin not clicking into place, they can sometimes take a bit of force to click in. look in the socket and see if any of the female pins look bent or out of place. i find user error more likely, no offense.

edit: when pushing in a tough 24 pin, i usually put my fingers under the the mobo where the socket is to avoid to much pressure/flexing on the mobo(if possible).

this im really not sure of. technically they could, but it depends on the person reviewing the psu, if they even happen to notice the damage.

Thanks for getting back to me. My bad, I should have clarified that I meant the other end of the 24 pin (the one that goes into the PSU.) 

Speaking of...I did some investigating and all of the pins seem to be okay on the PSU, but there is a missing segment on the type 4 connector that goes into the unit, what’s the deal with that?

5 minutes ago, GulagSlxg said:

Thanks for getting back to me. My bad, I should have clarified that I meant the other end of the 24 pin (the one that goes into the PSU.) 

Speaking of...I did some investigating and all of the pins seem to be okay on the PSU, but there is a missing segment on the type 4 connector that goes into the unit, what’s the deal with that?

the missing pin is normal. as far as it not fitting, the pins look fine. check if any of the male pins are bent on the psu socket. if it all looks fine, try wiggling it while pushing in to see if you can get it to click in. if you can't get it to click in, might need to go the rma route.

34 minutes ago, GulagSlxg said:

They're all type 4 cables, that's the name Corsair gives to that set of cables that are compatible with those power supplies. 

Which cable are you talking about?

If you're referring to the motherboard 24 pin cable split in to two connectors it is because on the power supply side there are 28 pins, molex doesn't make a minifit jr connector like that with 28 pins so it's split in to a 10 pin and 18 pin connectors. The extra pins on the PSU side are for sense wires that let the PSU monitor the voltage at the other end of the cable. You need to plug in both the 18 pin and 10 pin connector.

If you're talking about the 24 pin connector that plugs in to the motherboard it's missing a pin that used to be used for -5v which was removed from the standard.

If you're referring to the sata/peripheral connector on the PSU side then it's because it's only using 5 of the 6 pins on the connector, or only 4 in the case of the 4pin peripheral connector since it doesn't have 3.3v.

For the PCIe connector that plugs in to the PSU side it'll have an empty pin as PCIe only has 3 +12V wires.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 hours ago, GulagSlxg said:

Upon installation I kind of derped out, big time. Instead of using the holes on the PSU actually designed for the screws, I accidentally used 2 ventilation holes that seem to be super duper close to some internals in the PSU, please see attached image.

Seems there has to be an adapter plate to mount the PSU. What's the brand and model of the case?