Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can boot via m.2 on my asus z97-k motherboard

I have an old motherboard asus z97-k R2.0 and it has a built-in M.2 socket on it , and im planning on reviving this system. The exact ssd im going to use is the "samsung ssd 970 evo plus" .

 

image.png

 


I do not want to buy a 3.5inch ssd drive, so i was wondering if this would work natively?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

From zooming through the manual (here), it seems it should work with an NVMe drive for boot, will disable two SATA ports though. Also, that slot is 10gb/s which works out to PCIe 2.0 x2. The 970 Evo Plus is a PCIe 3.0 x4 drive so you won't get near the full speed out of it, but it will work. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

 

Current Rig

Spoiler

i7 6950X - EVGA X99 Classified - 4x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 DDR4 - 2060 Super FE - 1TB 970 Evo + 1TB MX500 - LG WH14NS40 BluRay Drive - EVGA 1000W G3 - Corsair Air 540 - Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000 (rear) + 3x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (radiator) - LG 27UK650-W (27" 4K60hz) - Custom CPU/GPU Loop w/single 360mm rad - Windows 10

Project Rig (WIP)

Spoiler

Xeon I forgot the name of - NH-L12S - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 4x4GB 2800MHz DDR4 - WX2100 2GB - 256GB 960 Evo - Flex-ATX PSU - Old Dell OEM case - Noctua 80mm fans - probably will be Windows or Ubuntu

 

Daily Devices: 2015 15" MacBook Pro (Work Laptop) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch Series 3 (if I don't forget to put it on) || Other Misc Devices: iPod Classic 5th Gen 30GB- iPod Classic 7th Gen 80GB - Nintendo Switch - Switch Lite - Wii U

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JakeQuinn said:

The exact ssd im going to use is the "samsung ssd 970 evo plus" .

The 970 Evo plus is a pretty expensive M.2 SSD.

 

Far as I'm aware, any NVMe SSD will work on a Z97 motherboard. I suggest a less expensive one because the bandwidth of these older M.2 slots is cut due to older technology.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The 970 Evo plus is a pretty expensive M.2 SSD.

 

Far as I'm aware, any NVMe SSD will work on a Z97 motherboard. I suggest a less expensive one because the bandwidth of these older M.2 slots is cut due to older technology.

Some Z97 boards had NVMe support. The big thing is getting a drive that's on the QVL list for that board, since it was a new technology at the time and with all new technologies, it was finicky.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Zando_ said:

From zooming through the manual (here), it seems it should work with an NVMe drive for boot, will disable two SATA ports though. Also, that slot is 10gb/s which works out to PCIe 2.0 x2. The 970 Evo Plus is a PCIe 3.0 x4 drive so you won't get near the full speed out of it, but it will work. 

 

I also happen to have a NVME to PCIe adaptor lying around from silverstone if i use that will i be able to use the full speed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JakeQuinn said:

 

I also happen to have a NVME to PCIe adaptor lying around from silverstone if i use that will i be able to use the full speed?

I don't think so. The second main PCIe slot runs PCIe 2.0 x4 if you put a card in, assuming I'm reading the manual right. The rest of the slots are PCI 2.0 as well, only the main one seems to run 3.0. So at best you'll get half the bandwidth out of your SSD (PCIe 2.0 x4 is equivalent to PCIe 3.0 x2). Still very fast, but not the full performance out of that SSD. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

 

Current Rig

Spoiler

i7 6950X - EVGA X99 Classified - 4x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 DDR4 - 2060 Super FE - 1TB 970 Evo + 1TB MX500 - LG WH14NS40 BluRay Drive - EVGA 1000W G3 - Corsair Air 540 - Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000 (rear) + 3x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (radiator) - LG 27UK650-W (27" 4K60hz) - Custom CPU/GPU Loop w/single 360mm rad - Windows 10

Project Rig (WIP)

Spoiler

Xeon I forgot the name of - NH-L12S - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 4x4GB 2800MHz DDR4 - WX2100 2GB - 256GB 960 Evo - Flex-ATX PSU - Old Dell OEM case - Noctua 80mm fans - probably will be Windows or Ubuntu

 

Daily Devices: 2015 15" MacBook Pro (Work Laptop) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch Series 3 (if I don't forget to put it on) || Other Misc Devices: iPod Classic 5th Gen 30GB- iPod Classic 7th Gen 80GB - Nintendo Switch - Switch Lite - Wii U

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zando_ said:

I don't think so. The second main PCIe slot runs PCIe 2.0 x4 if you put a card in, assuming I'm reading the manual right. The rest of the slots are PCI 2.0 as well, only the main one seems to run 3.0. So at best you'll get half the bandwidth out of your SSD (PCIe 2.0 x4 is equivalent to PCIe 3.0 x2). Still very fast, but not the full performance out of that SSD. 

Im not really after the speed, but might as well given the option. So there is only 1 PCIe 3.0, the main one, and since im not using a grpahics card for this system, ill get the full nvme speed at the main slot right?

 

If it does work and in the future i will decide to get a GPU i can always move the adaptor to the another slot , i doubt 2.0 and 3.0 speed matters for this old of a system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JakeQuinn said:

Im not really after the speed, but might as well given the option. So there is only 1 PCIe 3.0, the main one, and since im not using a grpahics card for this system, ill get the full nvme speed at the main slot right?

Should do yeah. 

5 minutes ago, JakeQuinn said:

If it does work and in the future i will decide to get a GPU i can always move the adaptor to the another slot , i doubt 2.0 and 3.0 speed matters for this old of a system.

For everyday use, yeah it will not be a noticeable difference. I doubt you'd be doing something like heavy video editing (that actually benefits from the full speed of these drives) on a system this old. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

 

Current Rig

Spoiler

i7 6950X - EVGA X99 Classified - 4x8GB 3200Mhz CL16 DDR4 - 2060 Super FE - 1TB 970 Evo + 1TB MX500 - LG WH14NS40 BluRay Drive - EVGA 1000W G3 - Corsair Air 540 - Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000 (rear) + 3x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1700 PWM (radiator) - LG 27UK650-W (27" 4K60hz) - Custom CPU/GPU Loop w/single 360mm rad - Windows 10

Project Rig (WIP)

Spoiler

Xeon I forgot the name of - NH-L12S - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 4x4GB 2800MHz DDR4 - WX2100 2GB - 256GB 960 Evo - Flex-ATX PSU - Old Dell OEM case - Noctua 80mm fans - probably will be Windows or Ubuntu

 

Daily Devices: 2015 15" MacBook Pro (Work Laptop) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch Series 3 (if I don't forget to put it on) || Other Misc Devices: iPod Classic 5th Gen 30GB- iPod Classic 7th Gen 80GB - Nintendo Switch - Switch Lite - Wii U

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×