Can boot via m.2 on my asus z97-k motherboard

I have an old motherboard asus z97-k R2.0 and it has a built-in M.2 socket on it , and im planning on reviving this system. The exact ssd im going to use is the "samsung ssd 970 evo plus" .

image.png

I do not want to buy a 3.5inch ssd drive, so i was wondering if this would work natively?

From zooming through the manual (here), it seems it should work with an NVMe drive for boot, will disable two SATA ports though. Also, that slot is 10gb/s which works out to PCIe 2.0 x2. The 970 Evo Plus is a PCIe 3.0 x4 drive so you won't get near the full speed out of it, but it will work. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

15 minutes ago, JakeQuinn said:

The exact ssd im going to use is the "samsung ssd 970 evo plus" .

The 970 Evo plus is a pretty expensive M.2 SSD.

Far as I'm aware, any NVMe SSD will work on a Z97 motherboard. I suggest a less expensive one because the bandwidth of these older M.2 slots is cut due to older technology.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The 970 Evo plus is a pretty expensive M.2 SSD.

Far as I'm aware, any NVMe SSD will work on a Z97 motherboard. I suggest a less expensive one because the bandwidth of these older M.2 slots is cut due to older technology.

Some Z97 boards had NVMe support. The big thing is getting a drive that's on the QVL list for that board, since it was a new technology at the time and with all new technologies, it was finicky.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

13 hours ago, Zando_ said:

From zooming through the manual (here), it seems it should work with an NVMe drive for boot, will disable two SATA ports though. Also, that slot is 10gb/s which works out to PCIe 2.0 x2. The 970 Evo Plus is a PCIe 3.0 x4 drive so you won't get near the full speed out of it, but it will work. 

I also happen to have a NVME to PCIe adaptor lying around from silverstone if i use that will i be able to use the full speed?

5 hours ago, JakeQuinn said:

I also happen to have a NVME to PCIe adaptor lying around from silverstone if i use that will i be able to use the full speed?

I don't think so. The second main PCIe slot runs PCIe 2.0 x4 if you put a card in, assuming I'm reading the manual right. The rest of the slots are PCI 2.0 as well, only the main one seems to run 3.0. So at best you'll get half the bandwidth out of your SSD (PCIe 2.0 x4 is equivalent to PCIe 3.0 x2). Still very fast, but not the full performance out of that SSD. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, Zando_ said:

I don't think so. The second main PCIe slot runs PCIe 2.0 x4 if you put a card in, assuming I'm reading the manual right. The rest of the slots are PCI 2.0 as well, only the main one seems to run 3.0. So at best you'll get half the bandwidth out of your SSD (PCIe 2.0 x4 is equivalent to PCIe 3.0 x2). Still very fast, but not the full performance out of that SSD. 

Im not really after the speed, but might as well given the option. So there is only 1 PCIe 3.0, the main one, and since im not using a grpahics card for this system, ill get the full nvme speed at the main slot right?

If it does work and in the future i will decide to get a GPU i can always move the adaptor to the another slot , i doubt 2.0 and 3.0 speed matters for this old of a system.

4 minutes ago, JakeQuinn said:

Im not really after the speed, but might as well given the option. So there is only 1 PCIe 3.0, the main one, and since im not using a grpahics card for this system, ill get the full nvme speed at the main slot right?

Should do yeah. 

5 minutes ago, JakeQuinn said:

If it does work and in the future i will decide to get a GPU i can always move the adaptor to the another slot , i doubt 2.0 and 3.0 speed matters for this old of a system.

For everyday use, yeah it will not be a noticeable difference. I doubt you'd be doing something like heavy video editing (that actually benefits from the full speed of these drives) on a system this old. 

Main PC