Gigabyte 3060Ti OC pro. Rediculously loud noise.

Lucas_AndosAU

Hi. 

I recently picked up a Gigabyte 3060Ti OC pro from my local computer alliance here in australia. I have decided to mine with it when im not using it to offset the cost of the card. Unfortunatly when this is happening the fans rattle lots and theres probably loud coil whine as well (not entirely sure what that sounds like though, so I couldn't tell you). Generally under like 1400-1500RPM the fans are much quieter and dont rattle. 

My old gigabyte RX570 also rattled a little bit I think, or it occilated tones of the fan which was annoying. I have tried a few solutions online such as pressing the fans back onto the hub but as its brand new they were already on completly. I  want to avoid returning the card at all costs because RMA is a pain.

I'll try to upload a video with the sound here in a few hours or tommorow.

All help is much apprecialted.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: RX 570 4gb

RAM: 24gb of cruical and Adata mix

The rest is trash

5 minutes ago, Lucas_AndosAU said:

Hi. 

I recently picked up a Gigabyte 3060Ti OC pro from my local computer alliance here in australia. I have decided to mine with it when im not using it to offset the cost of the card. Unfortunatly when this is happening the fans rattle lots and theres probably loud coil whine as well (not entirely sure what that sounds like though, so I couldn't tell you). Generally under like 1400-1500RPM the fans are much quieter and dont rattle. 

My old gigabyte RX570 also rattled a little bit I think, or it occilated tones of the fan which was annoying. I have tried a few solutions online such as pressing the fans back onto the hub but as its brand new they were already on completly. I  want to avoid returning the card at all costs because RMA is a pain.

I'll try to upload a video with the sound here in a few hours or tommorow.

All help is much apprecialted.

You can use a utility ie MSI afterburner to manually set the fan RPM.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

18 minutes ago, Lucas_AndosAU said:

Unfortunatly when this is happening the fans rattle lots and theres probably loud coil whine as well (not entirely sure what that sounds like though, so I couldn't tell you).

Coil whine can sound like an "eeeeeeeeeee" like old TVs make sometimes, or what I've had on my past two GPUs, a low buzz under specific loads. For the fans, as @krakeksaid you can use MSI Afterburner to set a custom profile or flat RPM. Just make sure the card isn't overheating under mining load if you ramp the fans down, though when mining you should have the power target pulled down anyways (AFAIK for most mining core speed is not as important as VRAM speed, so you can pull the power target down to decrease your electric costs, which eat into your earnings). MSI Afterburner will do that as well, and you can save up to 5 profiles, so you can have a separate mining and gaming one set up. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

On 5/27/2022 at 7:25 AM, Zando_ said:

Coil whine can sound like an "eeeeeeeeeee" like old TVs make sometimes, or what I've had on my past two GPUs, a low buzz under specific loads. For the fans, as @krakeksaid you can use MSI Afterburner to set a custom profile or flat RPM. Just make sure the card isn't overheating under mining load if you ramp the fans down, though when mining you should have the power target pulled down anyways (AFAIK for most mining core speed is not as important as VRAM speed, so you can pull the power target down to decrease your electric costs, which eat into your earnings). MSI Afterburner will do that as well, and you can save up to 5 profiles, so you can have a separate mining and gaming one set up. 

ok, I'll give MSI after burner a try. Usually the fans are at a lower RPM but sometimes ramp up to "hair dryer" like levels of noise, so I will try to lower the RPM to a fixed point as see the temps. I'll also se the clock speed lower (of the core) to save electricity as you said. Do you know how much I can lower it? Is undervolting usefull on a graphics card. But I'm not entirely sure you can do that.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: RX 570 4gb

RAM: 24gb of cruical and Adata mix

The rest is trash

14 hours ago, Lucas_AndosAU said:

I'll also se the clock speed lower (of the core) to save electricity as you said. Do you know how much I can lower it? Is undervolting usefull on a graphics card. But I'm not entirely sure you can do that.

I think undervolting is a more involved process. I'd just leave the core clock alone, OC the RAM, pull the power target down. That'll limit the wattage the GPU can use, so it will heavily downclock the core on its own. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch