Replacing a Motherboard

Hello LTT Comunity, 

I've been having problems with my wife's computer.  After a power surge the computer started freezing and shouting down. It would also start up again. I replaced the psu, the fans, etc. I'm still having the problems. I did notice a couple capacitors were loose. My question is this, can I replace the old HP motherboard with a newer old stock motherboard? I know that Window is picky when it comes to accepting different computer components

My first plan was to swap out the harddrive into a new old computer that my wife received from a friend. So I did lot of reading and watching videos.  The census was like 50/50. It so frustrating,  trying to fix a computer on a very limited budget.  I'm on a disability pension.  Now when It comes to memory, this was a head scratcher.  Ater some trial and error I realized that not all motherboards can take any type of memory.  I had some DDR4 memory, 32GB that wouldn't work on the old motherboard. I kept getting a beeping sound while trying to reboot the computer. I still have 16GB of DDR3 to try later. I wish I could buy better memory but it's not in my non existing budget. lol Anyways after all the installing and uninstalling of memory  and computer components I realized that it must be the old motherboard was faulty. So now I have a ASRock Z77 Pro4-M motherboard to use as a replacement. 

Now it comes down to will I have issues with th HDD and Windows accepting the new motherboard.  So many people are divided when ti comes to swapping HDD with different components. Windows is really picky.

Any help you can give would greatly be appreciated. Any donation of computer components would also be appreciated. 

with regards,

Andre

Toronto, Ontario Canada 

1 minute ago, Andre64 said:

Now it comes down to will I have issues with th HDD and Windows accepting the new motherboard.  So many people are divided when ti comes to swapping HDD with different components. Windows is really picky.

Windows 10 actually isn't really picky, it'll even handle complete platform switches (though this isn't recommended because it can cause some driver conflicts). If you're using the same platform, so Intel -> Intel or AMD -> AMD, it should work without a hitch. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

What windows? Win 10 is not picky at all, i can move a hdd from an Intel laptop to a AMD pc without any issues. It will resolve any issues itself automatically.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I recently swapped Motherboard, Processor (AMD to AMD) and RAM on a system and Windows 11 booted like nothing happened.

But if you can, you should still back up what you need.