Upgrading to Intel 12th Gen CPU, MOBO (DDR4), and Cooler

Hi guys,

As the title says, I am planning an upgrade from 8th gen to 12th gen. Hoping for your comments and/or suggestions. Thanks!

Budget (including currency): $1,200.00 (est. P62,400.00)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primary - Gaming (at 1440p 180hz), Secondary - Video Editing and Photoshop

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Upgrade Plan:

• CPU: 8700k to 12700k
  • Mobo: MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon to MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
  • Cooler: NZXT Kraken x52 to Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix
  • Fans: Will swap out the stock fans of the Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix above to Corsair ML120 RGB Elite Premium

Other existing parts NOT scheduled for upgrade or has been recently upgraded:

• GPU: Galax RTX 3080 SG (recently upgraded from Palit GTX 1070)
  • RAM: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 (recently upgraded from 16GB)
  • PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold Plus Modular Power Supply (recently upgraded from RM650)
  • Storage: Plextor 1TB M.2 SSD - Primary; Crucial M500 500GB 2.5 SATA SSD - Secondary; Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD - Tertiary 
  • Monitor: Acer Predator X34 (180hz) - Primary; Acer Predator XB271HU - Secondary;
  • Case: Thermaltake Core V71

2 hours ago, oki404 said:

Good upgrade. I think you will not disappointed.

Not a great upgrade, I think OP will be disappointed. 

Going from Covfefe to Alder lake with the same GPU is not really gonna change anything unless you had an 8100, especially at 1440p.  With the fans, if RGB is a big deal then I guess this makes sense but otherwise the stock fans are not gonna be costing you any game performance, and there are cheaper RGB fans available.  A kraken x52 is also still a pretty good cooler so upgrading that is gonna be a big expensive way to not change much. 

What GPU do you have BTW?  All the money you are spending on the CPU, MoBo, and cooler could get you a better one, as if you are having issues with framerate, upgrading that and keeping your other stuff  would make a incomparably bigger difference in game framerate.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

10 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Not a great upgrade, I think OP will be disappointed. 

Going from Covfefe to Alder lake with the same GPU is not really gonna change anything unless you had an 8100, especially at 1440p.  With the fans, if RGB is a big deal then I guess this makes sense but otherwise the stock fans are not gonna be costing you any game performance, and there are cheaper RGB fans available.  A kraken x52 is also still a pretty good cooler so upgrading that is gonna be a big expensive way to not change much. 

What GPU do you have BTW?  All the money you are spending on the CPU, MoBo, and cooler could get you a better one, as if you are having issues with framerate, upgrading that and keeping your other stuff  would make a incomparably bigger difference in game framerate.

Hi, my current GPU is an RTX 3080.

36 minutes ago, aeterna789 said:

Hi, my current GPU is an RTX 3080.

Oh, and that's not working with the 8700K?  I'd think it still fine as a hyperthreaded hexa-core that can OC to 5.0, especially paired with a kraken x52.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.