Should I wait for AM5?

gumpAUT
Go to solution Solved by Queen Chrysalis,
8 minutes ago, gumpAUT said:

okay, thank you. and yes, my system is running perfectly fine. This mainboard and cpu, have been running in my pc for 6 years with no problems. My only problem is that i want more 4 pin fan headers

Then get a fan controller, not a new motherboard.  You're gonna be paying WAY too much for a feature that is primarily sought after for a super specific use case.  People who want more fans just get a controller.  

Hello,

currently i have a i7-6700K with a 3070 Ti Founders and a 850W PSU.

Now i want to upgrade my CPU, that means I need new RAM and a new Mainboard as well.

My Budget for this Upgrade is 1000€ (I am living in central Europe)

But now my question is, if i should wait for the new Ryzen 7000 Series CPUs, or should i just get a 12700K?

Do you want to buy DDR5? 

AM5 will only support DDR5, 12th gen Intel has DDR4 options. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Now? get 12th gen.

Later, AM5 for sure.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

16 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Now? get 12th gen.

Later, AM5 for sure.

Not Raptor Lake? 🙂

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Just now, brob said:

Not Raptor Lake? 🙂

following the same pattern of AM4, i'm sure AM5 will support at least 3 cpu generation.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

following the same pattern of AM4, i'm sure AM5 will support at least 3 cpu generation.

🙄

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

19 minutes ago, brob said:

Not Raptor Lake? 🙂

We're entering another era of competition that you would have had to been in this game for a while to remember that last time it was like this. 

What this means is these two brands are going to be going back and forth, trading places as the top dog. Ultimately what this means is us, the consumers, will always win. 

Just buy something because its going to get overtaken, its just inevitable. If you just keep waiting for what's next, you'll never end up anything. 

And last but not least, when you buy a thing, it can be anything, and its good at doing something, its going to continue to be good at doing that thing even after new things are released. 

It really depends.  What do you want out of this upgrade?  If the System you have right now runs the games you play smoothly, you shouldn't upgrade anything.  A 3070ti should be good for a long time, and with that GPU I'm assuming you play at either 1440p or 4k, so the CPU should still be sufficient.  If you wait until the games you play are no longer running smoothly, you will know exactly what to look for in an upgrade and newer, faster, cheaper parts will be available.

So if that's the case, I would definitely wait.  But don't wait for parts to come out, wait until yours are no longer sufficient.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

3 hours ago, Zando_ said:

Do you want to buy DDR5? 

AM5 will only support DDR5, 12th gen Intel has DDR4 options. 

yes, ddr5

1 minute ago, gumpAUT said:

yes, ddr5

Then assuming your current system is usable without serious compromise, just wait and see how AM5 goes. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

54 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

It really depends.  What do you want out of this upgrade?  If the System you have right now runs the games you play smoothly, you shouldn't upgrade anything.  A 3070ti should be good for a long time, and with that GPU I'm assuming you play at either 1440p or 4k, so the CPU should still be sufficient.  If you wait until the games you play are no longer running smoothly, you will know exactly what to look for in an upgrade and newer, faster, cheaper parts will be available.

So if that's the case, I would definitely wait.  But don't wait for parts to come out, wait until yours are no longer sufficient.

i just want another motherboard, because i am not happy with my current.

And i want a good thing for the next 5 years

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

Then assuming your current system is usable without serious compromise, just wait and see how AM5 goes. 

okay, thank you. and yes, my system is running perfectly fine. This mainboard and cpu, have been running in my pc for 6 years with no problems. My only problem is that i want more 4 pin fan headers

1 minute ago, gumpAUT said:

If you have a free SATA port for power, just get this: https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-Integrated-10-Port-Controller-Support/dp/B09CH31RM6/ref=sr_1_3

Main PC 

8 minutes ago, gumpAUT said:

Then get a fan controller, not a new motherboard.  You're gonna be paying WAY too much for a feature that is primarily sought after for a super specific use case.  People who want more fans just get a controller.  

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

1 hour ago, gumpAUT said:

Even cheaper, $8. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0887VG14J/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2T6N244WTLWGU&psc=1