Music Production & Gaming Build

Budget (including currency): Around 2500 USD, Max around 3000 USD but prefer lower. 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Ableton Live, Pro Tools, Plugins and virtual instruments. Also Gaming like CSGO, Fortnite, WoW 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi, I have been using a Macbook Pro for the last 4 years and thought it was time to upgrade, and instead of getting another mac I thought about building a custom PC as I only use it in my home office now. 

It has been many years since I last built a PC, and thought maybe you guys can check my potential build I made. 

The computer is going to be used for mainly Ableton Live production with virtual instruments and recording, but also mixing and mastering in Pro Tools. 

Virtual instruments I am using: Most of Native Instruments library, Keyscape, U-he Diva, Serato Sample, Serum etc. 

I am also thinking of doing some gaming again, previously played CSGO at a decent level so want a stable gaming rig aswell.

In CSGO I usually play 1024x764 Resolution at low settings so this should be a incredibly overkill setup for this. 

But I would also be able to livestream when gaming and possibly music production. (otherwise thinking of getting a Elgato HD60+ and using my macbook as streaming pc) 

Here is the list of components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x

GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 12GB DUAL OC V2

Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix x570 Gaming

Ram Memory: Team Group Xtreem ARGB  32 Gb 

M.2 SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB

Second SSD: Seagate Firecuda 510 NVMe SSD 1TB

PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W

Cooling: be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX Svart

Also thought about getting either of these monitors:  BenQ Zowie XL2540K/2546K

I also went with air cooling even though I know it sounds more, but I have 0 experience with water cooling so I am going to skip that. 

Thanks in advance 

Best Regards

David

Also thought about going with Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64Gb 3200Mhz instead of the Team Group ARGB 32gb 3600Mhz. 

As they are in the same price range here. But I read that 3600 is optimal for ryzen 9 5900x and performs best, or is it just minor?

Sorry for 3x post.

Also wondering if the Motherboard is overkill or even good, had a hard time figuring that one out. 

Thanks!

I think you would actually find an Intel cpu better. An i9-12900 has higher boost clocks and better IPC.

I've used pcpartpicker US, so I don't know about pricing or availability in Sweden. But the build below should have no issue fitting within the available budget.

I would suggest using the same brand of NVMe drives. The KC3000 is arguably faster than the 980 Pro. Two 1TB 980 Pro would be just as good.

I would suggest a 3 fan GPU. They generally run quieter than 2 fan models. Like most new GPU, the one I've included doesn't start spinning fans until the load raises temps sufficiently to require active cooling.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900F 2.4 GHz 16-Core Processor  ($489.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ProArt B660-CREATOR D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($113.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Kingston KC3000 1.024 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($150.93 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Kingston KC3000 1.024 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($150.93 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card  ($689.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($107.89 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM 64-bit  ($119.98 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2253.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-26 14:03 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Ah okey, however not that sure if I will be overclocking CPU etc. My knowledge is not great so I dont want to risk breaking something.. So with that in mind do you still recommend the intel over the AMD?

Thanks for the help!

Just now, lordin said:

Ah okey, however not that sure if I will be overclocking CPU etc. My knowledge is not great so I dont want to risk breaking something.. So with that in mind do you still recommend the intel over the AMD?

Thanks for the help!

Yes. The build I outlined does not overclock.

Okey, now I am confused, the Ryzen 9 is 12-core 3,7 Ghz (not OC)

and the Intel is 16 Core, 2,4 Ghz (not OC) 

Even though the Intel has 4 more cores, the Ryzen is 1,3Ghz faster? 

Or am I getting stuck on the wrong numbers and what am I missing? 

Sorry for these questions.. 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, lordin said:

Okey, now I am confused, the Ryzen 9 is 12-core 3,7 Ghz (not OC)

and the Intel is 16 Core, 2,4 Ghz (not OC) 

Even though the Intel has 4 more cores, the Ryzen is 1,3Ghz faster? 

Or am I getting stuck on the wrong numbers and what am I missing? 

Sorry for these questions.. 

Thanks! 

What you are missing is how complex CPU have become. The 5900X has 12 cores, 24 threads. Its base clock is 3.7 GHz and will boost to 4.8GHz. The i9-12900 has 8 performance cores, 16 threads, 8 efficiency cores, 8 threads. Or 16 cores, 24 threads. Base clock is 2.7GHz and will boost to 5.1GHz.

Generally for music production high core clock is important with core count being less so.