GPU lever came off of Motherboard

I have the Z590M Gaming X (Gigabyte). 

my 3060 ti wouldn’t come off and I couldn’t press the lever properly. At that moment I thought I had pressed it enough but when I pulled the GPU seemed stuck. I pulled hard and the lever came off. 

I was able to put it back in place and it now works fine. I was wondering how come I was able to put it back in as many people say online if it comes off, it’s broken forever. 

The lever is just a physical "lock" (and I use the term lock loosely) for the slot, it has nothing to do with how the slot works electronically.  Perhaps they meant the lever was broken "forever"? Which is also not always true. In many cases they just pop back on. In any case, you should try and be careful when installing and removing cards from a motherboard. 

4 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

The lever is just a physical "lock" (and I use the term lock loosely) for the slot, it has nothing to do with how the slot works electronically.  Perhaps they meant the lever was broken "forever"? Which is also not always true. In many cases they just pop back on. In any case, you should try and be careful when installing and removing cards from a motherboard. 

It was really hard to release. And the size of my GPU + the heatsink on the MB don’t help at all. 

Depends on the design of the lever, whether it's a molded piece or a separate piece that clips on a hinge point.

Either way, it's just a nice-to-have. The slot will work just fine without it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

2 minutes ago, Victor Jones said:

It was really hard to release. And the size of my GPU + the heatsink on the MB don’t help at all. 

Yeah, I usually end up using a butter knife actually. Not that I recommend it. It would be easy to stab your motherboard if you aren't very careful. It was long, thin, and not sharp, so I used it once, and have been using one ever since.