Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rm850x 2021 only 2 pci e cables

 Share

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
14 minutes ago, Insomniazz said:

Looking at possibly this one instead Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold

I would choose the RMx over the focus plus. 

If you really want a third PCIe cable see if the RM850x 2018 version is still available at the same price as the 2021 version. Though, the third cable isn't necessary. 

Was thinking on upgrading to an rtx 3080 but the psu only cones with 2 PCI-E Y cables but the gpu needs three 8 pin. Is it OK to use the second PCI-E cable daisy chain 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Insomniazz said:

Is it OK to use the second PCI-E cable daisy chain 

Yes.


And I still find it weird that it comes with only 2 PCIe cables but 3 EPS12V cables.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yes.


And I still find it weird that it comes with only 2 PCIe cables but 3 EPS12V cables.

Ikr I will be buying the psu at the same time so I might switch it if I can find something better

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eventhough the manual says it comes with 2 EPS and 3 PCIe ??
If so then...

 

RMX.png

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

__________________________________________

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Eventhough the manual says it comes with 2 EPS and 3 PCIe ??
If so then...

 

RMX.png

From my research the 2018 model comes with 3 PCI-E and the 2021 version comes with two

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Insomniazz said:

From my research the 2018 model comes with 3 PCI-E and the 2021 version comes with two

Oh wow... that's so....... messed up.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

__________________________________________

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Eventhough the manual says it comes with 2 EPS and 3 PCIe ??
If so then...

That appears to be for the old version of the RMx. They're different power supplies. The 2021 RM850x is model number CP-9020200

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020200-NA

 

Here's the guide for the 2021 models. 

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/WW_RMx_Series_2021_QSG_AA.pdf

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Oh wow... that's so....... messed up.

Ikr kindove annoying I have enough trouble reading the psu teir list now I'm trying to see if I want to use the rm850x or if I can find one with 3 dedicated PCI-E connections 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at possibly this one instead Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That appears to be for the old version of the RMx. They're different power supplies. The 2021 RM850x is model number CP-9020200

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/RMx-Series/p/CP-9020200-NA

 

Here's the guide for the 2021 models. 

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/WW_RMx_Series_2021_QSG_AA.pdf

Damn, and Tech Jesus isn't on rage mode about it yet ?

I mean, that is so... backwards.
It's almost like they were predicting at 2021 and above CPU & Chipset will need 3 EPS to power.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

__________________________________________

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Poinkachu said:

Damn, and Tech Jesus isn't on rage mode about it yet ?

... Why would he be? It's odd that they include 3 EPS12V cables but it's not like including it is a problem. It's there, you probably won't ever need it, just leave it in the little satchel for cables the PSU comes with along with the floppy Berg connector and 4 pin peripheral connectors that you probably aren't ever going to use either. I would have preferred to see 3 PCIe cables instead but honestly the two cables it comes with (each with two connectors, so a total of 4 PCIe 6+2 pin connectors) are fine for pretty much everybody except those with multiple GPU configurations, but it's not like people are going to be running two RTX 3080s on an 850w PSU anyway they'd probably be using  1000w+ power supplies.

At the end of the day since it's a modular PSU you can always buy additional cables if needed, though that's equally an argument for why it doesn't need 3 EPS12V cables included.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Insomniazz said:

Looking at possibly this one instead Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold

I would choose the RMx over the focus plus. 

If you really want a third PCIe cable see if the RM850x 2018 version is still available at the same price as the 2021 version. Though, the third cable isn't necessary. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Spotty said:

I would choose the RMx over the focus plus. 

If you really want a third PCIe cable see if the RM850x 2018 version is still available at the same price as the 2021 version. Though, the third cable isn't necessary. 

Ty for the recommendation. I don't technically want a third cable but I'm finding conflicting answers on the daisy chain method but it also comes down to me being new to pc gaming so im not totally knowable on this stuff. I trust your answer and will go with the rmx.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Were there any other options around the same price that you were considering?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Were there any other options around the same price that you were considering?

Just the SSR-850FX 

Located in Canada 

Currently the 

Rm850x is 154.99

SSR-850FX is 149.99

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Insomniazz said:

Ty for the recommendation. I don't technically want a third cable but I'm finding conflicting answers on the daisy chain method but it also comes down to me being new to pc gaming so im not totally knowable on this stuff. I trust your answer and will go with the rmx.

It's easy to find conflicting answers given the void of knowledge this is.... Reddit.

 

The Corsair cables use 16g wire to the first connector.  So using a pigtail is fine.  

 

Seasonic uses 18g wire, so they're telling people they should only use one to one cables.

 

And Linus is telling people to use one cable because Linus is sponsored by Seasonic.

 

But, if you don't like it, you can always buy a third cable.  They're a dime a dozen.

 

22 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Damn, and Tech Jesus isn't on rage mode about it yet ?

I mean, that is so... backwards.
It's almost like they were predicting at 2021 and above CPU & Chipset will need 3 EPS to power.

Who pooped in your Cheerio's?

 

This was done like this because before Ampere actually came out, the current RMx was under development.  Nvidia told Corsair that the new card would use a new connector.  The 12-pin.  And to not worry about getting to market on time with the new 12-pin because there was only one vendor on the AVL and we wouldn't be able to get cables in time for launch.  So Nvidia said they would include the three 8-pin to 12-pin adapter.  To avoid people using daisy chained ≤18g PCIe cables in the adapter, they were going to use EPS12V connectors.  EPS12V connectors are never daisy chained and EPS12V connectors are not new to GPUs.  The Workstation cards use EPS12V instead of PCIe.

 

Fast forward to the launch of Ampere and the new RMx.  Not only did the adapter use PCIe instead of EPS12V.  But on Nvidia's FE cards used the 12-pin while everyone else used the standard 8-pin.

 

I hate working with some partners.  They feed you a bunch of garbage and then the actual facts don't come out until two weeks before launch and they honestly think you can pivot that fast and send a whole boat of power supplies back to China.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Insomniazz said:

Just the SSR-850FX 

Located in Canada 

Currently the 

Rm850x is 154.99

SSR-850FX is 149.99

So Canada sells two 850W power supplies?  And I thought Serbia was bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

So Canada sells two 850W power supplies?  And I thought Serbia was bad.

Sorry I'm just looking at the stock to the closest store near me if I want to drive a little bit further I could get these 

 

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GA, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular 139.99

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Insomniazz said:

Sorry I'm just looking at the stock to the closest store near me if I want to drive a little bit further I could get these 

 

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GA, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular 139.99

 

Oh.  Never mind. That's much worse.

 

I thought you would be ordering online.  My bad.  😄

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Insomniazz said:

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GA, 80 Plus Gold 850W, Fully Modular 139.99

 

Supernova GA has shutdown issues with nVidia Ampere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

EPS12V connectors are never daisy chained

Somebody forgot to tell Gigabyte. And with 18AWG no less. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-ud1000gm-pg5-review-the-first-pcie-gen-5-compatible-psu

 

Interesting explanation for the EPS12V cables though.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Who pooped in your Cheerio's?

 

This was done like this because before Ampere actually came out, the current RMx was under development.  Nvidia told Corsair that the new card would use a new connector.  The 12-pin.  And to not worry about getting to market on time with the new 12-pin because there was only one vendor on the AVL and we wouldn't be able to get cables in time for launch.  So Nvidia said they would include the three 8-pin to 12-pin adapter.  To avoid people using daisy chained ≤18g PCIe cables in the adapter, they were going to use EPS12V connectors.  EPS12V connectors are never daisy chained and EPS12V connectors are not new to GPUs.  The Workstation cards use EPS12V instead of PCIe.

 

Fast forward to the launch of Ampere and the new RMx.  Not only did the adapter use PCIe instead of EPS12V.  But on Nvidia's FE cards used the 12-pin while everyone else used the standard 8-pin.

 

I hate working with some partners.  They feed you a bunch of garbage and then the actual facts don't come out until two weeks before launch and they honestly think you can pivot that fast and send a whole boat of power supplies back to China.

 

 

Eh? na. Was just wondering.

But you're right, I did forgot about Ampere release date.
Thanks for the detailed explanation man. 🙂

And eventhough it's not in big business environment I do have experience about big last minute changes by partner.
And yes it is annoying as heck.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

__________________________________________

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2022 at 10:15 AM, Spotty said:

Somebody forgot to tell Gigabyte. And with 18AWG no less. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-ud1000gm-pg5-review-the-first-pcie-gen-5-compatible-psu

 

Interesting explanation for the EPS12V cables though.

Looks like Gigabyte wants to be consistent with their reputation of PSUs that explode/catch fire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×