Ubuntu - I can't access my Windows files anymore?

So my Windows 10 kinda f-ed up during an update (more details here: )

and I've been running my laptop using an Ubuntu Live USB.

Now, I've been using this method to access my files 'til I can get a permanent fix/solution, and it's been working well...until recently.

It won't open anymore?? Well, it wasn't so smooth even before. Whenever I try to open it I get this error: image.png.f688c4a9c2fb667da19274cec0ee8121.png

but after around 5 times or so, it'll load.

NOW IT WON'T LOAAAAAAAD i just keep getting this error.

I tried googl-ing for solutions but nothing works, and I'm not really familiar with linux line operations. (the only thing I've mastered was the operation on disabling my laptop's touch screen 'cuz it has ghosts touches or however you call it)

Please shed some light.

I'm running an old Lenovo Y50-70, intel i7, 16GB RAM, and some nvdia gpu I can't remember

12 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Could be a filesystem issue since it won't mount, can you run CHKDSK in Windows' repair tools? 

I'm sorry, can I verify how to do this? Do I do this by plugging in the Windows bootable USB to my laptop and then running the repair tools....and then running chkdsk?

(and my files are not gone, right? hahaha T_T)

1 minute ago, Cherry_wants said:

I'm sorry, can I verify how to do this? Do I do this by plugging in the Windows bootable USB to my laptop and then running the repair tools....and then running chkdsk?

Your files aren't gone, linux just doesn't know how to get to them (probably) as the database of where the files are is corrupted.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do a filesystem check from the Advanced Startup menu on the restore USB. 

It sounds like the best bet would be to remove the HD, fit an SSD and install Linux as you know it works. My preference is Mint but Ubuntu if you are happy to use it. Also buy a SATA to USB cable/adaptor, plug the disk in externally using the cable and copy across all the files and folders. Put the removed disk on a shelf as a backup.

That HD sounds as if it is flaky.

9 hours ago, Cherry_wants said:

Typically you can force Linux to mount the drive anyways. So if Windows fast startup is enabled, or check disk needs run, Linux won't mount the drive, unless you force it to. You can also run check disk from Linux to clean / repair NTFS drives. Your other option would be mount the drive as read only. How to do this will depend on the distro, but this is a fairly common issue, so if you are using Mint or Ubuntu finding an example of how to do it, shouldn't be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 9:25 AM, Cherry_wants said:

So my Windows 10 kinda f-ed up during an update (more details here: )

and I've been running my laptop using an Ubuntu Live USB.

Now, I've been using this method to access my files 'til I can get a permanent fix/solution, and it's been working well...until recently.

It won't open anymore?? Well, it wasn't so smooth even before. Whenever I try to open it I get this error: image.png.f688c4a9c2fb667da19274cec0ee8121.png

but after around 5 times or so, it'll load.

NOW IT WON'T LOAAAAAAAD i just keep getting this error.

I tried googl-ing for solutions but nothing works, and I'm not really familiar with linux line operations. (the only thing I've mastered was the operation on disabling my laptop's touch screen 'cuz it has ghosts touches or however you call it)

Please shed some light.

I'm running an old Lenovo Y50-70, intel i7, 16GB RAM, and some nvdia gpu I can't remember

Try dropping into the terminal and issue the following command:

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda5 /media/ubuntu/Windows8_OS

and copy/paste the results if there's errors.

To check the filesystem's integrity, you can try using ntfsprogs that's included in the Linux distro should be able to do a check disk. Issue the following command:

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda5

Hope this helps!