Check your Uni Fan SL120s - Lian Li recall

Alvin853

This isn't really news, but it was news to me, I hadn't heard of this problem before, and couldn't find any thread on LTT about this topic. Since these fans are very popular, it's likely other users have missed the news about this problem.

20220524_2057591-scaled.thumb.jpg.527aa553c475fa73894352dbb62477c6.jpg

I got myself some nice white Lian Li SL120s last year, and recently noticed some visible discoloration on one of the fans. So I did some research, and quickly landed on this page: https://lian-li.com/unifan-sl12o-led/

For a couple months Lian Li was manufacturing the SL120s (both black and white) with LEDs that overheat and deteriorate quickly. They have acknowledged the issue about half a year ago and have setup a very simple contact form to get replacements, I have received confirmation today that all 3 of my fans will be replaced for free, since they're all from the same batch and the other two will very likely fail eventually. 

If you have SL120 fans, do a quick check if your fans are affected. SL140 fans don't seem to have the same issue, and neither do any of the other Uni Fan series fans. 

• 5 weeks later...

Update: Received a package from china today, with 3 new SL120 unifans, no controller, no cables, just the fans. Already replaced the bottom fan, then decided to see for myself how much of a difference there is, this is with all 3 fans set to pure white:

photo1656087594.thumb.jpeg.54792b2330b859c0837da35bca94f74f.jpeg

And the picture doesn't even reproduce the colors well, in reality the difference is even more noticeable, the old fans just look greenish yellow compared to the new one.