DVI to VGA adapter

THC0fps
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

image.png.7d8e8567c13e87ca9f5f90a236708ca6.pngFirst two pictures  are  PASSIVE adapter, which won't work with your card because your card doesn't output an analogue signal.  Passive adapters just make connections between the pins, so there has to be video signal on the pins in the first place, and your video card doesn't put analogue video signal on the pins. 

Even though it says DVI-D on the front text, it also says DVI-D 24+5  - the +5 is the analogue part, so they're intentionally or accidentally lying, and it's actually a DVI-I  connector, which contains both analogue and digital pins.

The third picture is DVI to HDMI adapter.  HDMI supports a subset of DVI, so this is a passive adapter, there's just wires between DVI and HDMI connector,  but the DVI digital signal is compatible with the HDMI signals, so it would work with your card. 

The monitor has to have a HDMI input. 

Notice they are showing DVI-D and they say 24+1 , so it's truly DVI Digital only.

They're still lying a bit - they claim it supports 4K 120fps but that's wrong. No, HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI (allowing such adapters) up to 1920x1200 60 Hz.

You can use the adapter with a 4K TV, but your TV will see an 1080p signal, or whatever resolution you configure, which is at most 1920x1200.  

Fourth picture... not good, same product as first two pictures, it's a passive dvi-vga, which won't work because your video card doesn't output analogue signal. 

Your last picture ... 

On the left you have a DVI-A connector, as in analogue only. Notice the --- thick pin and the 4 pins around it, those carry the VGA signal, and a few of the other pins on the left are for some optional signals (for example, a video card can use a couple of those pins to retrieve from the monitor a list of supported resolutions and refresh rates) but the video card could work without those pins. 

If this connector had a few more pins in the middle part, you would call it DVI-I as in both analogue and digital. 

On the right in the picture you have a DVI-D connector, as in digital only, it doesn't carry analogue signal.   Your DVI to VGA active adapter needs to have such connector, no 4 pins around that thick ---- contact. 

so i have a dvi to vga adapter. i have a rx 550 4gb as a graphics card. i want to add a third monitor my HDMI and dp ports are both used so now i only have a dvi port left so i used the adapter but it won't work so my question is do i need any sort of drivers for it to work or should i buy a different adaptor ?

You can get a DVI to HDMI adapter and then use a HDMI cable https://www.amazon.com/Benfei-Bidirectional-Female-Adapter-Gold-Plated/dp/B07CXY79KR/

Or you can buy a DVI - HDMI cable, no adapters necessary. 

DVI connectors contain pins for a DIGITAL portion and an ANALOGUE portion.  Your video card only puts DIGITAL data in the DVI connector.

Majority of very cheap DVI-VGA adapters, otherwise also called passive adapters, simply connect wires between the analogue part of the DVI connector and the VGA connector. 

The problem is that the RX series doesn't output any analogue signal, so such adapters won't work. 

They make DVI - VGA active adapters by simply replacing the HDMI connector with the DVI connector, because HDMI is designed to be backwards compatible with DVI like that... so you CAN buy actual active DVI-VGA converters but they're rarer and you can basically achieve same thing with a DVI-HDMI and then HDMI->VGA converter. 

Example of active (converter) DVI to VGA : https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Connector-Converter-Computer-Projector/dp/B08RHH3VPF/

Another example : https://www.amazon.com/Active-DVI-D-Adapter-Benfei-Female/dp/B07D3XZ9SD/

You can tell which one is  DVI Digital to VGA because the analogue part is those 4 pins around the thick blade on the side of the DVI connector. If those pins are missing, it's a DVI-D (only digital connector),  if the pins are present it may or may not be an active converter.

okay so i went to the store now and asked them what they have and i took some pictures caus i don't really have any idea anything means XD but yeah ill link them down below as well as the two adapters i currently have. since i don't stay in a very developed country i don't have access to websites like amazon to buy my stuff.

but thank you very much for both the responses they already heled a ton ❤️

IMG-2369 (1).jpg

IMG-2368.jpg

IMG-2367.jpg

IMG-2369.jpg

IMG-2372.jpg

image.png.7d8e8567c13e87ca9f5f90a236708ca6.pngFirst two pictures  are  PASSIVE adapter, which won't work with your card because your card doesn't output an analogue signal.  Passive adapters just make connections between the pins, so there has to be video signal on the pins in the first place, and your video card doesn't put analogue video signal on the pins. 

Even though it says DVI-D on the front text, it also says DVI-D 24+5  - the +5 is the analogue part, so they're intentionally or accidentally lying, and it's actually a DVI-I  connector, which contains both analogue and digital pins.

The third picture is DVI to HDMI adapter.  HDMI supports a subset of DVI, so this is a passive adapter, there's just wires between DVI and HDMI connector,  but the DVI digital signal is compatible with the HDMI signals, so it would work with your card. 

The monitor has to have a HDMI input. 

Notice they are showing DVI-D and they say 24+1 , so it's truly DVI Digital only.

They're still lying a bit - they claim it supports 4K 120fps but that's wrong. No, HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI (allowing such adapters) up to 1920x1200 60 Hz.

You can use the adapter with a 4K TV, but your TV will see an 1080p signal, or whatever resolution you configure, which is at most 1920x1200.  

Fourth picture... not good, same product as first two pictures, it's a passive dvi-vga, which won't work because your video card doesn't output analogue signal. 

Your last picture ... 

On the left you have a DVI-A connector, as in analogue only. Notice the --- thick pin and the 4 pins around it, those carry the VGA signal, and a few of the other pins on the left are for some optional signals (for example, a video card can use a couple of those pins to retrieve from the monitor a list of supported resolutions and refresh rates) but the video card could work without those pins. 

If this connector had a few more pins in the middle part, you would call it DVI-I as in both analogue and digital. 

On the right in the picture you have a DVI-D connector, as in digital only, it doesn't carry analogue signal.   Your DVI to VGA active adapter needs to have such connector, no 4 pins around that thick ---- contact. 

ohh okay perfect so then instead of converting it to vga i just buy a new hdmi cable and the dvi to hdmi adapter and then it should work?

thanks so much for the response i really apricate it