Moving OS between drives please help

Sambadtech
Go to solution Solved by LWM723,
Clone the whole drive then delete what you don't want.

so i got a new ssd and i just wanna move only the OS on to the ssd, like the 15gb the windows takes, i wanna keep my program data and all that in my old hdd
is that posible?
if yes how

2 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Clone the whole drive then delete what you don't want.

how can i clone it? also if i do clone it does it only clone the windows 10 files?

Use Minitool Drivecopy. Unless windows is on it's own partition, you'll have to clone everything and then delete.

9 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Use Minitool Drivecopy. Unless windows is on it's own partition, you'll have to clone everything and then delete.

so like copy the whole partition and paste it on the ssd and remove the extras that came?

also, minitool has a migrade os feature and i dont understand option b can u explain it to me?

Don't copy and paste. You have to clone it for the os to boot.

4 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Don't copy and paste. You have to clone it for the os to boot.

ok ill clone it but what does the option B mean in minitools os migration feature?
can u explain?
heres a screenshot 

image.png
like does it only copy the needed stuff like windows files or does it also do the things like program data, i have been confused on that part for like 2 days

2 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Yes use the migrate that should just move the os.

ok well imma start that now
i really hope it only does the os because if not ill have to prob waste alot of time as i only want my os on the ssd so my games can fit 🛐

Just now, LWM723 said:

Migrate os means just the os.

nice but never mind as premium is requierd

im installing easeUS partation manager to do it as i get free trial so even if premium is requierd ill be good to go 😎
*insert hecker man meme*

well nvm mf said buy to migrate 💀
ok so ur way was to clone the windows instalation partion to the ssd and delete the things which i dont want on my ssd like the program files? not delete but like move them back on my hdd(i plan on using both btw)

if yes can u tell me where all the windows files stay? like the ones needed to run windows only them so yes the os pretty much so that i can delete or move the extras @LWM723

You downloaded the wrong app. Here is the link for Drivecopy, it's free.
https://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Drive-Copy/3000-2094_4-75206514.html

No it's not just the windows and users folder. You'll have to delete all of your own files. Don't delete game or program files as that will break them. Their installation is tied to the os. Only delete data files that aren't installed programs.

6 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

No it's not just the windows and users folder. You'll have to delete all of your own files. Don't delete game or program files as that will break them. Their installation is tied to the os. Only delete data files that aren't installed programs.

o so like program data? and programdata(x86) ?

can u name the folders to keep and what to delete so i just do it

Just delete your own data files that you know what they are. In future, install windows on it's own separate partition and then you can clone just that partition.

2 hours ago, LWM723 said:

Just delete your own data files that you know what they are. In future, install windows on it's own separate partition and then you can clone just that partition.

ok thank you for the advice

If you just move windows and run apps from another drive it will break a lot of your installed apps because the relative drive mapping will be hosed. What used to be installed on C:\ for example will now be on a different drive. Likely D:. 

Some apps and games will tolerate this better than others depending on the coding. You might need to reinstall them. Also, I've never been able to just migrate a single partition on windows and get away with it since NT4. You need to pull over those stupid boot and utility partitions. Your cloning utility also needs to mark the appropriate partition as active. Give it a shot...can't hurt anything. But, I'm anticipating some issues.