5800x 90 degrees at idle

mathew74715
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

Sounds like a dead pump. MSI recalled a TON of their AIO products, so Check to see if yours is on that list. https://us.msi.com/Landing/liquid-cooler-swap-application

I recently got a Ryzen 7 5800x for my pc which was already running an MSI MAG core 240R and I haven't seen it go below 77 degrees at any point.  It is now staying at 90 degrees when the pc is idling and throttling down to as low as 0.5 GHz even when I'm loading web pages.  I have it mounted at the front of my case (with a mesh front) with the pump at the bottom (pump is in the radiator).  Though so far it has not shut down my system.  Please help.    

I have tried holding both tubes and one is noticeably warm and the other is cool.  I can also feel a small amount of vibration on the tubes.  

If it hasn't been below 77 at any point, you have something else going on as well... Case? Fans?

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

14 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

If it hasn't been below 77 at any point, you have something else going on as well... Case? Fans?

I have the Lian li 215x.  The case has 2 200mm fans intaking at the front, two 120mm fans exhausting out the top, and another 120mm exhausting out the back.  I also have a 6700xt and it has perfectly normal thermals.

56 minutes ago, mathew74715 said:

I have tried holding both tubes and one is noticeably warm and the other is cool.  I can also feel a small amount of vibration on the tubes.  

then it is not dead most likely just almost there

24 minutes ago, mathew74715 said:

I have the Lian li 215x.  The case has 2 200mm fans intaking at the front, two 120mm fans exhausting out the top, and another 120mm exhausting out the back.  I also have a 6700xt and it has perfectly normal thermals.

I am air cooling a 5900X with a Scythe Mugen 5 and six Corsair 120s controlled with an iCUE Commander. My fans run between 30-70%. I have PBO enabled and the only time it sees over 70-72 is if I do a 30 minute Cinebench R23 run. Idle temps are 38C-42C and moderate loads are 57C-65C. And my case has a total intake area of just 34 square inches. You've got an airflow problem of some sort, and it doesn't sound like the case is to blame. My all-time peak is 87C. Without PBO, 76C. Something is seriously out of whack in your setup beyond your impending AIO pump failure.

Edited by An0maly_76

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

High temps and MSI MAG core,  this is more common than rain these days 

Try repasting and remounting it first yet ?

If you did, then I'd say if MSI okay with giving you a replacement, go for it.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Update: I sent in the RMA request and it was approved.  After receiving a replacement unit, temps are right around where I would expect them to be.  Thanks for the help everyone. 

5 hours ago, mathew74715 said:

Update: I sent in the RMA request and it was approved.  After receiving a replacement unit, temps are right around where I would expect them to be.  Thanks for the help everyone. 

Did you get the same type of cooler. Mag core ? It so, see you next year😂😂😝