Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need to secure existing/buy new Router (AUS)

thisisnovel
 Share

Hi there,

I recently discovered that one of the neighbours is piggybacking my wifi, and no matter what I try, nothing is stopping them.

 

So far, I have:

  • Changed the password (multiple times), including to something that cannot be reasonably guessed (and made my partner very unhappy in the process 😅🤣).
  • Turned off WPS
  • Updated firmware

Nothing seems to keep them off. I found out my router is a bit of a fail when it comes to vulnerabilities (tplink archer vr1200).

 

I am at a total loss as to how to keep them off. Do I need to buy a new router, or is there some way of keeping people off that I'm not aware of? If the former, what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you happen to have a powerline adapter plugged in? Are you certain they're connected via wifi? Are they still connected even if you disable wifi (check with a computer plugged in with a LAN cable)? 

 

Are you sure it's your neighbor and not an unknown device in your house?

 

Otherwise you can add rules to limit bandwidth to the unknown device or even block access. You can also apply MAC address filtering and whitelist only your own devices, but it will definitely bothersome to add new devices especially when having guests over.

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JogerJ said:

Do you happen to have a powerline adapter plugged in? Are you certain they're connected via wifi? Are they still connected even if you disable wifi (check with a computer plugged in with a LAN cable)? 

 

Are you sure it's your neighbor and not an unknown device in your house?

 

Otherwise you can add rules to limit bandwidth to the unknown device or even block access. You can also apply MAC address filtering and whitelist only your own devices, but it will definitely bothersome to add new devices especially when having guests over.

I had Power over Ethernet for a few devices, but pulled them out to no avail. They're definitely on my wifi (according to the router), and given that I'm presently the only one who knows the wifi password, so it's definitely not one of my devices.

 

Regarding Mac address filtering, I've read that that's not really all that helpful, since it doesn't really add any security and is easily spoofed (assuming they're able to break into the wifi by other means especially). Do you find it helpful though?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

PoE shouldn't be an issue. You can spoof mac addresses, yes, though not all devices are supported out of the box. It'll get around blacklists but it won't get around whitelists easily. 

 

You can give blacklist a try, if it doesn't work then resort to whitelist. 

 

Also do you maybe have a second SSID enabled? Is this router provided from your ISP? Usually ISP routers have a public hotspot anyone can connect to, which you can't outright disable without tampering with the firmware and/or disabling backdoors. Speaking of which change the administration page password too

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, thisisnovel said:

I recently discovered that one of the neighbours is piggybacking my wifi

How are you determining this exactly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JogerJ said:

Usually ISP routers have a public hotspot anyone can connect to,

Usually? Isn't it extremely rare? Like one or two providers in USA?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×