Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need help with Asus TUF Z590 power supply

Hey,

I just bought a new Asus TUF Z590 plus Wifi and a new PSU Chieftec PPS-850FC together with a few other parts. The website where I ordered both stated, that mainboard and PSU would be compatible but now that I'm putting everything together I was wondering if that really is the case. I noticed that the PSU appears to not come with fitting cables/plugs for the sockets of the mainboard. The mainboard got a 24pin socket that is labeled ATX_PWR in the manual, an 8pin socket ATX_12V_1 and a 4pin socket ATX_12V_2. The PSU only comes with a 20+4 pin plug (for ATX_PWR, I guess), a 10 pin plug attached which won't fit anywhere on the board and with two 4+4 pin plugs which are labelled CPU, so I guess they would be the ones to use. But now I'm not really sure if they really fit, if the power supply would be sufficient or if I will damage the board if I connect them in a wrong way. With the cables that came with the PSU I can use the 4+4 plug to connect the PSU to ATX_12V_2 so one of the 4 pin plugs won't be used and I can connect ATX_12V_1 with only 4 pins, because only 4 pins of the other 4+4 pin plug will fit, the others won't because of the shape of the connector. So I was wondering if that would be working or if I should get another PSU with a 4+8 connector. If I should replace it, maybe you can recommend something? 

I'm sorry, I hope I explained my problem understandable for english isn't my primary language and I'm not used to describe technical stuff in english. I hope the question isn't absolutely stupid either.

I added a page from the mainboard manual and from the specs of the PSU to this thread.

Thanks in advance!

psu connectors.jpg

psu connectors2.jpg

mainboard power connectors.jpg

4 minutes ago, xxdarnfoyp said:

The PSU only comes with a 20+4 pin plug (for ATX_PWR, I guess), a 10 pin plug attached which won't fit anywhere on the board

You're trying to plug the PSU end of the cable in to the motherboard. The cable on the end that plugs in to the motherboard is a 24pin connector. On the other end of the cable which plugs in to the power supply is two connectors a 10pin connector and 18pin connector.

With modular cables make sure you pay attention to which side plugs in to the system and which side plugs in to the power supply.

8 minutes ago, xxdarnfoyp said:

With the cables that came with the PSU I can use the 4+4 plug to connect the PSU to ATX_12V_2 so one of the 4 pin plugs won't be used and I can connect ATX_12V_1 with only 4 pins, because only 4 pins of the other 4+4 pin plug will fit, the others won't because of the shape of the connector.

The connector is keyed so you can't plug it in the wrong way. If the shape of the connector isn't fitting then you've got it the wrong way.

The 4+4 connector clips together to form an 8 pin connector. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Thank you for your fast reply! The 24pin connector isn't a problem and I'm quite sure I got that one right because there is definitely only one way it fits but the second part of your reply does not really answer my question unfortunately. I know that I can't plug the connectors in the wrong way because they are shaped to only fit correctly. But the PSU didn't come with a fitting connector for the socket that is labeled ATX_12V_1. It came with two 4+4 pin plugs but only half of it, 4 pins, will fit into the 4 pin part on the right side of the socket, that are the same shape as the socket of ATX_12V_2. The manual says, as you can see in the screenshot: "Ensure to connect the 8 pin power plug", but I can only fit the 4 pin power plug into the right half of the socket. I guess that will be a problem, but I'm not really sure.

5 minutes ago, xxdarnfoyp said:

It came with two 4+4 pin plugs but only half of it, 4 pins, will fit into the 4 pin part on the right side of the socket, that are the same shape as the socket of ATX_12V_2. The manual says, as you can see in the screenshot: "Ensure to connect the 8 pin power plug", but I can only fit the 4 pin power plug into the right half of the socket.

Try the other CPU power cable. 

Make sure the connector is facing the right way, the latch clip should be facing up. 

If that still doesn't work can you post some photos showing the 4+4 cable joined together

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I took a picture of the 4+4 pin plug and as you can see (I hope) they can't fit into the 8 pin socket. Both CPU cables are the same.

signal-2022-05-26-033701.jpeg

Edit: I also found this thread (https://linustechtips.com/topic/135739-will-a-4-pin-connector-work-with-an-8-pin-motherboard-input-properly/) and I think it partly answered my question that I possibly can run my system with a 4 pin connector in the 8 pin socket but it will probably not run smoothly or at all under stress. So i guess I will change the PSU.

2 hours ago, xxdarnfoyp said:

I took a picture of the 4+4 pin plug and as you can see (I hope) they can't fit into the 8 pin socket. Both CPU cables are the same.

The keying on that connector is correct. It should fit in the motherboard socket. Have you actually tried inserting the connector in to the socket...?

The plugs with the rounded edge will fit in the square holes. The arrangement of square/rounded holes on the motherboard connector is to prevent you from sticking the connector in upside down.

The square plugs on the cable (1 & 6) correspond to the square holes on the motherboard socket (1 & 6). 4 & 7 being rounded plugs fitting in square holes doesn't matter as the rounded edge on the cable connector fits inside the square hole.

image.png

image.png

2 hours ago, xxdarnfoyp said:

So i guess I will change the PSU.

Changing the PSU won't help, they're all like that. For example here's a photo of Corsair's CPU power cable.

image.png