Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to Upgrade from ISP Modem and Router in 1

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone, 

I currently have my ISP's 2 in 1 modem and router, and I am having some issues with connection and speeds depending on the time of day and how many devices are connected to the router. 

I was wondering how much it would cost to get a router and maybe a modem as well that can handle all the different devices we have in the house.

3 phones

3 tables

3 laptops

(not all connected at the same time, mainly the phones are usually connected) 

3 streaming devices 

2 gaming consoles

and 2 smart home devices. 

I am not sure what type of solution I am looking for but I would like a smoother experience with my wifi especially when streaming videos, often we get a service interrupted notice not every episode but maybe every 3rd episode. It would be nice to have that not happen. And often on my phone, it has trouble loading the YouTube homepage for the app or the first video. then its usually good after that. 

Edit:

I am looking for a recommendation for purchasing a new router and maybe modem or figuring out how to have that smoother experience we are looking for

Edited by ExplorerSergio

28 minutes ago, ExplorerSergio said:

am looking for a recommendation for purchasing a new router and maybe modem or figuring out how to have that smoother experience we are looking for

Modems are internet type specific. So we need to know what kind of internet you have. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Modems are internet type specific. So we need to know what kind of internet you have. 

I think i have cable internet. I have cox and 500 mbps up and 100 down

9 hours ago, ExplorerSergio said:

cox

See if they have a supported device list. At this point Id recommend a Docsis 3.1 modem, if you want one that supports internet speeds of greater than 1 Gbps then you need to look at modems like the S33 that have a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port. If you dont care about that then any Docsis 3.1 modem should work, I have the CM1000v2 and it works well. My modem will do speeds up to like 940 ish Mbps with the overhead on Ethernet, which isnt an issue for us because we only have 300/10 service with Comcast. 

If he plans to use modem and a router
May as well just buy the router first and try it with current modem and see if problem is solved.
Cheaper & Simpler that way.

Maybe his current modem build quality just isn't that good enough to handle being a router for many devices at once.
That's what happened to me back then.

Btw @ExplorerSergio, by your devices, I assume you have a big house, or at the very least, not small.
I'd set up a mesh system so you can get wifi coverage all around the house.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

17 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

If he plans to use modem and a router
May as well just buy the router first and try it with current modem and see if problem is solved.
Cheaper & Simpler that way.

Maybe his current modem build quality just isn't that good enough to handle being a router for many devices at once.
That's what happened to me back then.

Btw @ExplorerSergio, by your devices, I assume you have a big house, or at the very least, not small.
I'd set up a mesh system so you can get wifi coverage all around the house.

ISPs supply cheap shitty equipment. Also it’s standard practice in the US to charge monthly for them. Most US based ISPs don’t provide modems, they use combo devices that have little to no features. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

ISPs supply cheap shitty equipment. Also it’s standard practice in the US to charge monthly for them. Most US based ISPs don’t provide modems, they use combo devices that have little to no features. 

Yeah, same with my country
My modem+router combo good enough if its just becoming a bridge.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply