Offline games

ToboRobot

Recently had a multiday power and internet outage.  Power came back quickly, but internet took longer, and I had a few days of mind numbing boredom (I read a paper book, weird stuff) while I was unable to play any games on Steam etc.

I just built my first computer in over a decade, and I was not expecting or accustomed to not being able to play the games I own and installed on my machine.

So what is the solution for this?  Is there a curated list of offline games?  Is there a Steam like service that just sells games I can play without connectivity to someone server?

Been there, have gone ithout home internet for years. Actually bought a portable SSD specifically to facilitate transfer of large game files I've downloaded at a friend's place. Game activation in Steam requires very little data, so a portable hotspot can often finish the job and allow access to Steam games, though there is another solution.

GoG is what you're looking for. You can literally download just the standalone game excecutables (you don't need GoG Galaxy to download and/or play), and as the games lack DRM, they don't require an internet connection to play.

I make it a habit to buy from GoG where possible. If there's a game offered on both Steam and GoG, the latter gets my first pick. No futzing about with the picky Offline Mode that Steam offers. The games just work. Downsides are that the selection of games isn't as rich as what Steam offers (not bad mind you, it's actually quite good, just Steam offers more), good sales are much harder to come by, and not all games offer equal support to both platforms.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

A lot of older games on GOG can run without an internet connection. If it's less than 30 days then stuff like Fallout on Steam should work fine with Steam's offline mode too (Steam has to connect to the internet at least once every 30 days IIRC). Metro series as well, most singleplayer games tbh. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I don't think there's a way to easily tell on Steam, but if a game has a singleplayer mode you can probably play it offline. The only surefire way to tell with Steam is to change it into offline mode, turn off your internet, and have a go at playing the game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Been there, have gone ithout home internet for years. Actually bought a portable SSD specifically to facilitate transfer of large game files I've downloaded at a friend's place.

GoG is what you're looking for. You can literally download just the standalone game excecutables (you don't need GoG Galaxy to download and/or play), and as the games lack DRM, they don't require an internet connection to play.

I make it a habit to buy from GoG where possible. If there's a game offered on both Steam and GoG, the latter gets my first pick.

Awesome thank you very much.  

I should get a UPS so I might have a chance to get steam into offline mode, but it would be great to have a drive with some offline games and movies etc to keep me occupied when I have to hide in a bunker or whatever.

Thanks!

Just now, ToboRobot said:

I should get a UPS so I might have a chance to get steam into offline mode, but it would be great to have a drive with some offline games and movies etc to keep me occupied when I have to hide in a bunker or whatever.

It should boot up into offline mode. Usually when I haven't hooked in my ethernet cable and try to open Steam, it'll say it couldn't connect, and offer to either retry or open in offline mode. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Awesome thank you very much.  

Thanks!

Probably one of the biggest standouts on GoG is Stardew Valley. Not only do you get the benefits of the standalone game, but it's aesthetics and chill gameplay are great for when the world feels a tad overwhelming (it's just an awesome game in general). And being easy to run, it will run on a potato, and won't voraciously devour precious battery life during an outage.

For a bug-out drive, you'll definitely be looking to easy-to-run games, both for being able to run on anything, and to not kill batteries.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…