Frequent Stuttering and flicker leading to black background + programs freezing (happened once)

Recently upgraded my computer from a 2070 Super to a 3080. before swapping any parts out I was having stuttering issues, but I wanted to upgrade anyways so I decided to just upgrade the whole system minus the RAM. When I got the pc put together and loaded everything up I was still getting the stuttering on an entirely new version of windows. I tried games with and without audio and the stuttering still persisted. I tried turning XMP on and off, still got the stutters. 

To top it all off, when I swapped back to XMP, my screen flickered black while I was playing V Rising, freezing the game, discord, and even my google chrome. I wasn't 100% sure if this was GPU related or RAM related since I swapped the XMP back. GPU also randomly spikes to 100% sometimes and drops back down?

I would honestly appreciate any advice, whether it be what programs to run for testing or even any ideas that you guys could come up with. 

would also be important for me to add that I play all games at 3440 x 1440, so not sure if any software recommended would need to support that res or not to get an accurate representation of statistics?

Debated on RMA'ing the card, but I want to be certain first.

I'll also add here that the temps on the CPU hit 70C tops, but that's in games where it has to load a lot in such a Project Zomboid or something, otherwise it hits maybe 50-60c. 

GPU hits around 70-75C.

my specs are as follows:

• Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit
  • MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4 ATX LGA 1700 MOTHERBOARD
  • Intel i7  12700KF (currently have it running on default, so it's just boost clocked but not on BIOS Game Mode)
  • 2 x 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-3200 running on XMP
  • EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 12GB LHR FTW3 ULTRA GAMING (running at stock)
  • Corsair MP600 Pro XT 1TB M.2-2280 NVME  (boot drive, but everything else goes on it as well)
  • Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80+ Gold