Looking for Best Mesh Solution For Big House

VicoLeChips

Hello,

My parents own a big old house with really thick walls (~50cm (20inch) stones inside the house for every wall). They just got the fiber a few weeks ago and are willing to get a solution to cover the entire home with wifi.

I wanted to know what would be a great solution ? 

I saw the Deco XE75 https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/deco/deco-xe75/, but I don't know if any of you had other great solution 

3 hours ago, VicoLeChips said:

a big old house with really thick walls (~50cm (20inch) stones inside the house for every wall)

That's going to be difficult for mesh as it is for a single WiFi AP to cover multiple rooms. The type of walls are a challenge for any type of WiFi solution.

Ideally, what would work best is to have APs with an ethernet uplink to a central router/switch placed around the home at strategic locations. You can even use some of the mesh nodes in AP mode if you want. However, you won't know exactly how many APs you'll need until you actually mount them and run tests.

38 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

That's going to be difficult for mesh as it is for a single WiFi AP to cover multiple rooms. The type of walls are a challenge for any type of WiFi solution.

Ideally, what would work best is to have APs with an ethernet uplink to a central router/switch placed around the home at strategic locations. You can even use some of the mesh nodes in AP mode if you want. However, you won't know exactly how many APs you'll need until you actually mount them and run tests.

Thanks a lot for your answer. Yes, I wanted to buy many of them. However, I don't know if the a sequence of connected mesh in wireless would still be reliable at the end of the "chain", because my electrical system is quite old and it seems to lose quite a lot of performance using CPL. 

25 minutes ago, VicoLeChips said:

because my electrical system is quite old and it seems to lose quite a lot of performance using CPL.

Not sure what you mean here, but...

25 minutes ago, VicoLeChips said:

I don't know if the a sequence of connected mesh in wireless would still be reliable at the end of the "chain"

This is the problem. Mesh requires communication between nodes and client devices via a wireless connection. As you move further away with more obstructions in the way, the wireless signal gets weaker.

You'd be much better off if you can neatly do Cat6 runs to a bunch of rooms to hardwire the APs - is this possible? Obviously it's extra effort but Cat6 is cheap as chips, if you can work out some tidy runs it's 100% worth running Cat6 around the home.

Then you can get a bunch of APs and have them on a wired backhaul - meaning full bandwidth available across the house, with no loss of speed and minimal signal issues.

55 minutes ago, Sparx said:

You'd be much better off if you can neatly do Cat6 runs to a bunch of rooms to hardwire the APs - is this possible? Obviously it's extra effort but Cat6 is cheap as chips, if you can work out some tidy runs it's 100% worth running Cat6 around the home.

Then you can get a bunch of APs and have them on a wired backhaul - meaning full bandwidth available across the house, with no loss of speed and minimal signal issues.

I mean it could be possible by the outside, but even that is quite complicated. All my walls (inside and even bigger for outside) are all 20inch blocks of stones. So running it inside is impossible. 

I have to find a video with some satellites/nodes system in sequence to see how much you actually lose. 

20 inch stone you have very slim chance of signal passing through well I would suspect. Does mobile signal even make it through well inside? That will be a rough indicator how wifi signal is going to struggle broadcasting.

Get yourself a suitable 22-24" drill bit and get drilling Cat6 I say! 😆 Even if you just do some low level runs around the exterior, could even get the cable close to the stone colour so it blends in etc. Lots of ways to keep it neat and unobstrusive.

Honestly hardwiring places like that you'll appreciate the reliability and performance once it's done imo.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:29 AM, Sparx said:

20 inch stone you have very slim chance of signal passing through well I would suspect. Does mobile signal even make it through well inside? That will be a rough indicator how wifi signal is going to struggle broadcasting.

Get yourself a suitable 22-24" drill bit and get drilling Cat6 I say! 😆 Even if you just do some low level runs around the exterior, could even get the cable close to the stone colour so it blends in etc. Lots of ways to keep it neat and unobstrusive.

Honestly hardwiring places like that you'll appreciate the reliability and performance once it's done imo.

Thanks a lot. 

Yeah, actually it's a 3 story house, and getting 4G+ everywhere and never got an issue with phone calls either. 

But, yeah I'll check out how I will hardwire everything.