Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

low profile mechanical gaming keyboard recommendations please?

bmx6454
 Share

hello, i have been using an msi gk50 low profile mechanical keyboard, and i loved it. unfortunately it has 2 dead keys now, and i need to return it. i am looking for something with a similar feel, but more importantly, better durability. i don't want to get the same model again as i feel like it may also fail in a similar time frame. does any one have a good suggestion for a low profile mechanical keyboard? i would like it to have per key rgb(not a requirement necessarily though), and must be low profile, also full size. wired or wireless is fine with me, noise from the keys isn't an issue to me, i kinda like the click-clack lol. worth noting, this was my first mechanical keyboard, so switch type, and other things, i don't have a preference yet. budget is 50-100$ usd. thanks for any suggestions/input! have a great day

edit: the keyboard will be primarily for gaming, not much typing or anything on this pc. also, full key layout, i use numpad frequently/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're going to severely limit your options looking for a good low profile mechanical keyboard. I like the feel of the short key travel from using a low profile for years, but I was really unhappy with the actual low profile options out there when upgrading to a mechanical. So I started with a more standard keyboard and put in the Kailh Speed Copper switches (tactile) because it has a light keypress and short travel like I prefer. Then using a nice wood wrist rest, it feels like using a low profile. They also make those in a clicky version (Bronze I think) and a linear version (Silver). I think a couple other companies make switches with the short travel like that.

 

Doing that may put you over budget though. I can't think of a good barebones hotswap keyboard you could put those switches in for less than about $70. Then I think $20-30 for the switches and keycaps, which would start around $10-20, but can go a lot higher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

hello, i have been using an msi gk50 low profile mechanical keyboard, and i loved it. unfortunately it has 2 dead keys now, and i need to return it. i am looking for something with a similar feel, but more importantly, better durability. i don't want to get the same model again as i feel like it may also fail in a similar time frame. does any one have a good suggestion for a low profile mechanical keyboard? i would like it to have per key rgb(not a requirement necessarily though), and must be low profile, also full size. wired or wireless is fine with me, noise from the keys isn't an issue to me, i kinda like the click-clack lol. worth noting, this was my first mechanical keyboard, so switch type, and other things, i don't have a preference yet. budget is 50-100$ usd. thanks for any suggestions/input! have a great day

edit: the keyboard will be primarily for gaming, not much typing or anything on this pc. also, full key layout, i use numpad frequently/

 Been using Redragon K618 Horus for a couple months now.
Their version of Logitech G913 knock-off i guess.
Wanted Corsair Low Profile, but my budget didn't allow, and found this.. so...i YOLO'd

 

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-Mechanical-Bluetooth-Ultra-Thin-Connection/dp/B098785CL3


Switch is pretty much Outemu based, hot swappable, but they uses a proprietary switch which they called ultra low profile.
The switch (red, brown, or blue) can be bought from their store (At least that's how it is in my country and at Aliexpress)
The stabs... well, can't find it anywhere, pretty much same stabs as G913 by the looks and size of it.
Each key RGB
Can choose between wired & wireless mode.

There should be more videos about it in youtube if you search "redragon k618"

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

__________________________________________

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ramava said:

I like the feel of the short key travel from using a low profile for years, but I was really unhappy with the actual low profile options out there when upgrading to a mechanical. So I started with a more standard keyboard and put in the Kailh Speed Copper switches (tactile)

my knowledge of keyboards is pretty limited, i've never had regular profile with low travel, so that might be just as good as low profile.

12 hours ago, ramava said:

Doing that may put you over budget though. I can't think of a good barebones hotswap keyboard you could put those switches in for less than about $70. Then I think $20-30 for the switches and keycaps, which would start around $10-20, but can go a lot higher.

do you mean like building my own keyboard so to speak? i'm not opposed to that idea if it's the best way to get what i am looking for. i may be willing to up my budget a little if it's worth doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

 Been using Redragon K618 Horus for a couple months now.
Their version of Logitech G913 knock-off i guess.
Wanted Corsair Low Profile, but my budget didn't allow, and found this.. so...i YOLO'd

i do like corsair. i appreciate the suggestion, but i am a bit iffy on redragon. i have a few friends who have tried them with mixed issues. i will keep that suggestion in mind though as it seems to check all the boxes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

i do like corsair. i appreciate the suggestion, but i am a bit iffy on redragon. i have a few friends who have tried them with mixed issues. i will keep that suggestion in mind though as it seems to check all the boxes.

Based on what I heard around is that their (RD) keyboard is fine, the mouse though... is a whole lot other story.

But yeah, IMHO it's a good budget option, looking & feeling at mine own, the build quality isn't bad.
But dunno, maybe my standard is too low xD

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

__________________________________________

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bmx6454 said:

do you mean like building my own keyboard so to speak? i'm not opposed to that idea if it's the best way to get what i am looking for. i may be willing to up my budget a little if it's worth doing.

Yes, more or less. Doing it with a barebones to start is kinda the minimum of building a custom one. For the most part, it's toolless. You're just putting the switches in place, and then putting the caps on them. It can also be done by building the rest of the keyboard up for parts, but I wouldn't recommend that for your first one, because choosing which components will get overwhelming pretty quickly. And getting the parts quickly severely limits your options.

 

For mine I bought a fully built hotswap keyboard, and then changed out all those parts, which is more expensive since I ended up with keycaps and a bunch of switches I'm not currently using. But I was doing a lot of experimenting deciding which switches to buy, and it took me a while to decide on keycaps.

 

In your budget, I would recommend looking at the new NXZT Function as a barebones to start (and not the prebuilt version). Unless you have money to throw at it though, I wouldn't use their customization service because it will end up being a LOT more expensive. Short Circuit and JayzTwoCents both recently did a video on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×