Why are photos still rectangle? Discussion topic.

It was a simple realization after looking at a photo taken by my significant other on her Pixel 6, why are mobile photos still rectangle and forced so wide?

The Phone Camera Sensor: A Simple Introduction | The Smartphone Photographer

May be an image of 1 person, car and road

I could honestly care less about the photo matching the dimensions of the device screen , premium phone manufacturers (Pixel Pro, Samsung S/Fol etc) should have an extra mode that allows us to capture the entire sensor, not just the slice of rectangle that's 3/4 of it. She would've been able to fit the top of that rollercoaster easily as she was backed up against another vehicle. 

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

Probably because people who don't know any better would be furious if their expensive new phone didn't take pictures that "fill up the whole screen" by default.

(Unless they deliberately shoot faux Polaroids, those are supposed to be square and off-center in a white border.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

So should the photo be  c i r c l e  instead of  r e c t a n g l e  or would  o v a l  be a better format?

Jokes aside how about trying a diff camera app?

I don't really understand what you mean.

Are you saying the Pixel 6 cuts off the top and bottom of the image the sensor captures? If this is the case then it is not something all phone cameras does. This is the first time I have heard of a smartphone doing that to be honest. So the question should not be "why are mobile photos so wide" but rather "why are MY phone pictures so wide".

Secondly, did you edit that photo you uploaded? It has a really weird resolution which makes me believe you edited it. If you are going to post an image as an example, please post the original. Otherwise it will be even more confusing.

Are you sure you haven't accidentally changed a setting in the phone to make it do this? I know that on my Samsung phone I have the option to change the capture format, with 4:3 being the default. Some people change it to "fullscreen" because they believe no black bars in the viewfinder = good. It seems like the Google camera app has the same setting.

If you use the Google camera app then it should be under the menu and it's called "ratio". Change that to "full image (4:3)".

common_camera_screen_icons-7.jpg.be636b3daf5dca9f21500e44ff970235.jpg

Or are you asking why photos are so often 4:3 rectangles and not circles? It's because having a circle would make no sense.

• While the lens itself is circular, there would be a lot of artifacting near the edge.
  • Saving an oval image would also be a nightmare, programming wise. It is very easy to define a rectangular grid and then place data on it. Especially in relation to each other. "Top corner is blue, the pixel next to it is red". With a circular format you would end up needing to use mix in the radius of the circle and angles. "the pixel at 32°, r/1 is blue, the pixel  32,1° r/1 is red". Way less efficient.
  • Our field of view is wider than it is tall (since we have two eyes, that are placed next to each other), so it make sense to have things slightly wider than tall since that's how we see the world.

Are you asking why phone cameras has such narrow field of view? The pixel 6, and many other smartphones, has multiple cameras for this exact reason. One focal length is not enough for all situations, so you have to change lens accordingly. 

38 minutes ago, Chronified said:

premium phone manufacturers (Pixel Pro, Samsung S/Fol etc) should have an extra mode that allows us to capture the entire sensor, not just the slice of rectangle that's 3/4 of it.

They do typically capture the whole sensor, and it's rectangular...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Chronified said:

It was a simple realization after looking at a photo taken by my significant other on her Pixel 6, why are mobile photos still rectangle and forced so wide?

I could honestly care less about the photo matching the dimensions of the device screen , premium phone manufacturers (Pixel Pro, Samsung S/Fol etc) should have an extra mode that allows us to capture the entire sensor, not just the slice of rectangle that's 3/4 of it. She would've been able to fit the top of that rollercoaster easily as she was backed up against another vehicle. 

They do, on my Galaxy S10 you can choose the aspect ratio between Full (misleading, as its full screen not full sensor), 1:1, 16:9 or 4:3 (full sensor).

There are options on my point and shoot camera too, but there its more obvious as you just pick the one with the highest megapixels.

For video its different, as cropping is the norm for HD formats and the extra pixels may be used as part of image stablisation I believe.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Chronified said:

Look up "Kodak APS-C" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C

This is an image comparing the size of an APS-C sensor to other camera sensor sizes.

Basically photos became rectangular because of how film in photo cameras were designed. If you see SLR photos from 1940-1985 or so, these are all square-ish because the film stock at the time only supported one aspect ratio (1:1.5). APS-C supports 3, and how it works is by cropping the film. The negatives you get do this:

aps-frame-sizes.png

16:9 is a compromise for computer and television to show wide-screen content without having half the screen be black with a letterbox. Pretty much every digital process once migrated from film has standardized on 16:9, be it for good or bad.

Now, can you use the full sensor? Yes. You can. But you need a device that lets you do it. A smartphone will not do it, because it's sensor is a bit fake, it needs all those extra pixels to compensate for it's lack of lighting, and the "full sensor" may actually be obstructed by the lens mount itself. But a DSLR or really any decent Digital Still camera will usually switch to the "full frame" mode when you select portrait. Where as when you select Portrait on the iphone and android, usually it just messes with the auto-focus to find a face. 

Is there a point? No. Nobody asks for the full frame, the lens have all been designed (which is why phones sometimes have 3 cameras on them now) with a specific lens system in mind, and in a smart phone, that "full sensor" is probably obscured by the lens mount. That said, DSLR's do not normally have this problem unless you're using a lens system from a different manufacturer via an adapter that doesn't actually fit the camera. 

With that said, nobody uses a smartphone as a replacement for a DSLR, they use them as a replacement for a lugging around both a video camera and a still camera. Less hardware to carry around and lose.

The rectangle shape is chosen to match most displays who will probably used to show these pictures. So there is nothing wrong with the shape.

If your photo sensor is square for some reason, I would recommend the manufacturer to just make a rectangular sensor and I guess most manufacuters will do so.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

7 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Pretty much every digital process once migrated from film has standardized on 16:9, be it for good or bad.

In video yes, in still camera land it's almost exclusively been 3:2 for DSLRs and 4:3 for the rest, 16:9 stills sensors are pretty much not a thing.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It's rectangular because the sensor is rectangular, because it's also used for recording video.

And will probably stay like that because most photo paper is also rectangular and people are psychologically used to seeing rectangular video and may subconsciously see square or round pictures as outdated. 

The standard photo paper is 2 by 3 aspect ratio  (4R = 4" x 6"  , 6R = 6" x 8" and so on) 

Regular paper in the ISO standard is also rectangular for a perfectly good reason - not wasting paper. The wide side is sqrt(2) x narrow side, because it allows to cut big sheets of paper without waste .. ex  A0 = 2 x A1 = 4xA2 = 8xA3 = 16 A4 sheets = 32 A5 sheets and so on.

There's lots of good videos about how various aspect ratios and how they psychologically affect how you view a movie.. to some degree same can be said about regular photographs

15 hours ago, Kisai said:

Look up "Kodak APS-C" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C

This is an image comparing the size of an APS-C sensor to other camera sensor sizes.

Basically photos became rectangular because of how film in photo cameras were designed. If you see SLR photos from 1940-1985 or so, these are all square-ish because the film stock at the time only supported one aspect ratio (1:1.5). APS-C supports 3, and how it works is by cropping the film. The negatives you get do this:

Fun tidbit with APS film is that even when shooting in a cropped mode, the full frame of the sensor still gets exposed.The crop is stored in the magnetic strip, and is applied during printing.

It's kind of a cool film system that just came too late to the party. This format came at the height of film tech, and while quality is certainly worse than 135, it is perfectly serviceable. (110 by comparison was pretty rough). And you could reasonably switch mid-roll if you needed a faster film stock, for example. Owing to the magnetic strip, the camera is able to find where you left off at.

We do have some developed APS rolls in the house. It would be interesting to get those scanned and see how they hold up today.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Why not use a 1:1 ratio? Why not use a circular shape? Why not a rhombus or a triangle? [/snark]

In all seriousness, it's most likely because that's how cameras have developed (har har) over the last hundred or so years. Just kinda convention.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I'd like to add that besides that aspect ratio thing, there's also other research done and studies about composition, framing in photos and movies. 

There's concepts like the Rule of Thirds, the Golden Spiral... all there to potentially make your photographs look better.