Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

“lol this is dirt” Nvidia alleged to release a GTX 1630 in Late May.

Summary

On May 31st (ish), Nvidia will be releasing a new GPU, the GTX 1630.

Quotes

With that in mind, Nvidia is said to be prepping a new entry-level graphics card that could hopefully retail at around $150 – and what’s more, a Videcardz report gives us a good idea of specs and when the GPU will be released.

My thoughts

First of all, RIP to GTX 1640. Second, this will be a dirt cheap GPU and, why? Why will Nvidia make a GTX card in 2022, and at the end of the GPU shortage?

Sources

techadvisor

how are you doing today

13 minutes ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

First of all, RIP to GTX 1640. Second, this will be a dirt cheap GPU and, why? Why will Nvidia make a GTX card in 2022, and at the end of the GPU shortage?

Are you asking why Nvidia is releasing a really cheap GTX card in 2022 while we have a lot of shortages? 

Because it's a really cheap and easy card to make. 

They can make a ton of them from a single wafer, and it's probably on a less strained manufacturing node. The memory they will use is probably easier to get too (GDDR5 or maybe even regular DDR). 

Not everyone needs a really powerful GPU, and this will probably be good enough for some casual gamers or office workers. 

41 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

GDDR5 or maybe even regular DDR

Actually it will be gddr6, but the node will be 12nm, as gtx16** and rtx 20** series, and the same cuda as 1650

They have probably initiated the product a year ago, so that it made sense back then. Who knows

56 minutes ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

why? Why will Nvidia make a GTX card in 2022, and at the end of the GPU shortage?

why not?

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

53 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Are you asking why Nvidia is releasing a really cheap GTX card in 2022 while we have a lot of shortages? 

Because it's a really cheap and easy card to make. 

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Same company who sold 2060’s at 12GB of VRAM and they probably sold like hotcakes. It is pretty smart to do, but it just has that weird feeling in my gut.

how are you doing today

1 hour ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

Summary

On May 31st (ish), Nvidia will be releasing a new GPU, the GTX 1630.

Quotes

My thoughts

Sources

techadvisor

Unless you go for an APU, this GPU can probably find use in a lot of AMD systems that don’t require a ton of graphics performance. Additionally, if it can decode AV1 in hardware, this could be a cheap upgrade path for many older systems. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

Probably because there's actually a lot of people who can't afford even a 1650.
Or just want something with less price than 1650, but more than 1030.

Like... a kindergarten of entry level.

Plus, if chips that supposed to be meh in worth can be made profitable by slapping some heatsink, why not.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

1 hour ago, ebprince the computer nerd said:

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Same company who sold 2060’s at 12GB of VRAM and they probably sold like hotcakes. It is pretty smart to do, but it just has that weird feeling in my gut.

Why do you sound so negative? Why are you bringing up the 2060? Why is this "pretty smart to do"? Why does it give you a weird feeling in your gut?

I feel like you are trying to spin this pretty uneventful and perfectly reasonable thing into "Nvidia is bad" or some conspiracy theory, for some reason.

It's just a regular entry level card made from a cut down TU117 die.  It's probably slightly defective GTX 1650 dies.

Is it that it's a GTX card that you find strange? At that entry level it probably does not make sense to include the additional features necessary for the "RTX" badge. Plus, RTX cores are designed for a smaller process node, so they wouldn't be able to manufacture those on TSMC's 12nm node, which probably has better supply than Samsung's leading edge nodes.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

Sounds like a replacement for the GT 1030.

it is, and despite popular opinion it is sorely needed for those people who can ony have a <65w card.

if they have a single slot version of this i may actually buy a couple for my unraid box... my GT640/radeon 5450 combo is rather dated.

alleged

we'll see if they're found guilty

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

This was my first thought, but the TDP difference makes it not an exact fit. 1030 was a 30W part, and it may still have some niches that a 75W can't fill exactly. 

To me overall it is giving cut down 1650 vibes more than 1030 successor.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

RTX cores are designed for a smaller process node, so they wouldn't be able to manufacture those on TSMC's 12nm node, which probably has better supply than Samsung's leading edge nodes.

Agree with the rest but Turing was 12nm, so RTX certainly can be done on that.

TV Gaming system: Asus B560M-A, i7-11700k, Scythe Fuma 2, Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200@2133 4x16GB, MSI 3070 Gaming Trio X, EVGA Supernova G2L 850W, Anidees Ai Crystal, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, LG OLED55B9PLA 4k120 G-Sync Compatible
Streaming system: Asus X299 TUF mark 2, i9-7920X, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance LPX RGB 3000 8x8GB, Gigabyte 2070, Corsair HX1000i, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Crucial BX500 1TB, BenQ XL2411 1080p144 + HP LP2475w 1200p60
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion, 5800H, DDR4 3200C22 2x8GB, RTX 3070, SK Hynix 512 GB + Crucial P1 TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 minutes ago, porina said:

This was my first thought, but the TDP difference makes it not an exact fit. 1030 was a 30W part, and it may still have some niches that a 75W can't fill exactly. 

Maybe a further reduced “GTX 1610” would fill the display adapter niche still occupied by the ancient GT 710? Its GK208 is a 50w 28nm GPU, so the 1630 isn’t that far off.

Dell owns my soul.

4 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Maybe a further reduced “GTX 1610” would fill the display adapter niche still occupied by the ancient GT 710? Its GK208 is a 50w 28nm GPU, so the 1630 isn’t that far off.

there was a GTX 1010 right before the GPU shortage 'climax', i'm not sure if they ever actually shipped...

WIth Ryzen integrated graphics being as good as they are these days, I really have no idea why someone would pay for a GPU like this. Maybe if their old GTX 9xx card died and they really don't want to replace anything except the GPU?

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

48 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

WIth Ryzen integrated graphics being as good as they are these days, I really have no idea why someone would pay for a GPU like this. Maybe if their old GTX 9xx card died and they really don't want to replace anything except the GPU?

I think it's mostly people who do not have a brand new Ryzen APU that this appeals to. Or people who need more display outputs.

I agree with you if we are talking about someone buying a brand new PC. In that case it's probably best to just put the GPU money towards a higher end CPU with a decent integrated GPU.

Probably better than most integrated gpus,

Will be great for super cheap desktops or reppurposed office ones.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

<65w

*75W

"The PCI Express* x16 connector on Intel® Desktop Boards can deliver only up to 75 watts."

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Why do you sound so negative? Why are you bringing up the 2060? Why is this "pretty smart to do"? Why does it give you a weird feeling in your gut?

I feel like you are trying to spin this pretty uneventful and perfectly reasonable thing into "Nvidia is bad" or some conspiracy theory, for some reason.

I an not trying to spin this, because I have a Nvidia GPU myself. I mean, it is a smart thing to do. People will buy this 1630 and probably like it and will pick their next GPU as a Nvidia. The feeling in my gut is that it just seems a little strange that its at THIS price point.

how are you doing today

9 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Unless you go for an APU, this GPU can probably find use in a lot of AMD systems that don’t require a ton of graphics performance. Additionally, if it can decode AV1 in hardware, this could be a cheap upgrade path for many older systems. 

There's no AV1 hardware decode in Nvidia before Ampere so this won't support it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Oneplus 7T (Mid 2021 to present), HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present)

Samaritan XTXH (Early 2021 Upgrade - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12C/24T)  (2021) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  AMD Radeon RX 6700XT 12GB (Mid 2021), Corsair RM850i PSU, Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (2021), Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML120 x2 (2021)

12 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

GTX rebranded 😛 seems like a bit wasted sand, not sure how big such an upgrade would be.

Do wonder how it will do vs 7000 ryzen APU (the more gaming focused, integrated graphic chips).

Kepler lost driver support last year, so I reckon 900 and 10 series won't be too far behind

Releasing a low end card to replace the 1030 might not be such a bad idea if it were to lose driver support in the next few years

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately