Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thinking of replacing my drive but not sure if this is the cause of my issues. Help diagnose?

c7rse

So I have random PC crashes and restarts and I've been told it's due to my drives being old / dying and want to know if someone could verify that getting new drives would solve my issue. Thanks!

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, c7rse said:

So I have random PC crashes and restarts and I've been told it's due to my drives being old / dying and want to know if someone could verify that getting new drives would solve my issue. Thanks!

The quick way to check if your drive has problems is run chkdsk.  If you type CMD in the little box next to the windows logo you’ll get a command line screen.  Then type chkdsk /? And you will get the manual for using the app and what the various flags do, etc..  you can also run it from the GUI, it might be in administrative tools, I’m not sure.  HDDs are generally good for around 5 years though it varies a good bit.  HDDs are mechanical though and will eventually wear out. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The quick way to check if your drive has problems is run chkdsk.  If you type CMD in the little box next to the windows logo you’ll get a command line screen.  Then type chkdsk /? And you will get the manual for using the app and what the various flags do, etc..  you can also run it from the GUI, it might be in administrative tools, I’m not sure.  HDDs are generally good for around 5 years though it varies a good bit.  HDDs are mechanical though and will eventually wear out. 

I did a CrystalDiskInfo test and it said my drive health was bad. So I just removed the drive and ordered a new one. Hopefully this will solve my issues of having random crashes etc. My SSDs health is at 73% on the application so hope that's not needing replcaed as well. is there anything else you can help me with as far as random crashes go? 

Monitor your CPu and GPU temperatures.

You can check disk health using Hard Disk Sentinel.

I am not allowed to have my PC specs in my signature.

At least if the problem continues at any rate.  73% for an HDD is “replace as soon as possible” but SSDs are different beasts. For all I know it doesn’t need to be replaced until it hits single digits.  Since you’ve got crystal disk info, my move would be to trust it. It’s a better app than chkdsk.  Chkdsk was merely guaranteed to be already on the machine. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.