Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ocolus rift bedroom VR setup.

Go to solution Solved by deferentlemur,

HeroRareheart,

I think I can help with a few of the questions you raised.

I also have a CV1 Rift and have run into the same port problems. For the HDMI, I am using a passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter without any problems. Mine is Insignia. Short black cable with a plug on either end.

Regarding USB, for mine I just plug into whichever ports are available, including USB 2.0. Admittedly that is purely anecdotal, and I am running 2 instead of 3 sensors. In theory, even a usb 3.0 hub on a 3.0 port has more bandwidth than multiple 2.0 ports, but I don't know how polling rates or other factors would affect that. So you may be able to use your 2.0 ports without issue, it's worth a shot at least.

As to the GPU, you should be fine with the 980ti. Maybe a repaste is in order, given its age. 

I used my Rift for a long time on a 1080 and 4790k. So, comparable GPU and less CPU than you have now. I definitely had to turn down graphics settings in-game to get a smooth framerate, and also needed to let the alternate frame interpolation do its work. I don't remember if that setting was in the Oculus settings or nVidia control panel.

Sorry, no input on the space issue, I have always used mine seated.

Good luck!

This seems like the most appropriate place for this, although I'm not sure. I have a first gen consumer rift and a PC that's, in theory, VR capable. The few times I played VR although it was fun it required a lot of work and I ran into several major issues. #1 issue though is needing to unplug my main monitor to plug my rift in every time I want to use it and the second one being I'm not sure how to split up my three sensors so they're all on different USB controllers. The only ports free on my GPU are displayports so I was thinking of running a male DP to female HDMI cable to the front of my desk, that way plugging in my headset is easier. I tried a simple cheap adapter a while back but it didn't work, I assume I need a certain quality or specification of adapter, how would I know what to look for? How can I figure out which USB ports are on what USB controllers so I can avoid the tracking just dying in the middle of play every now and then? I only have my room to use and it's cramped already, any advice for freeing up space that's piratical? I thought about a murphy bed but those are very expensive and I then need to find new storage for my under bed containers, only the RAM bin is small enough to just shove in a closet. Lastly the "VR capable in theory" part. I'm still rocking a 980ti and a gen 1 Ryzen chip with slower DDR4 memory, it will run most VR titles well but sometimes runs with lower FPS and mild "jitter" that makes me violently ill. The GPU is also PEGGED at max most of the time in VR and just, SPEWS out burning hot air. Given the age of my RIG and issues is it even worth getting VR to work on it or when I get a new job should I set aside some cash and just, overhaul my rig? My desk is falling apart and oversized so an overhaul would help with space.

Hello!

Can you please organize this blob of text in a proper format?

It's a nightmare to read in it's current format.

EDIT:

More or less i fixed that for you:

This seems like the most appropriate place for this, although I'm not sure. 

I have a first gen consumer rift and a PC that's, in theory, VR capable. 

The few times I played VR although it was fun it required a lot of work and I ran into several major issues. 

#1 issue though is needing to unplug my main monitor to plug my rift in every time I want to use it

and the second one being I'm not sure how to split up my three sensors so they're all on different USB controllers. 

The only ports free on my GPU are displayports,

So I was thinking of running a male DP to female HDMI cable to the front of my desk, that way plugging in my headset is easier.

I tried a simple cheap adapter a while back but it didn't work,
I assume I need a certain quality or specification of adapter, how would I know what to look for? 

How can I figure out which USB ports are on what USB controllers so I can avoid the tracking just dying in the middle of play every now and then?
I only have my room to use and it's cramped already, any advice for freeing up space that's piratical? 

I thought about a murphy bed but those are very expensive and I then need to find new storage for my under bed containers,

Only the RAM bin is small enough to just shove in a closet.

Lastly the "VR capable in theory" part. 

I'm still rocking a 980ti and a gen 1 Ryzen chip with slower DDR4 memory,

it will run most VR titles well but sometimes runs with lower FPS and mild "jitter" that makes me violently ill.

The GPU is also PEGGED at max most of the time in VR and just, SPEWS out burning hot air. 
Given the age of my RIG and issues is it even worth getting VR to work on it or when I get a new job should I set aside some cash and just, overhaul my rig? 

My desk is falling apart and oversized so an overhaul would help with space.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4.1GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1349cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

HeroRareheart,

I also have a CV1 Rift and have run into the same port problems. For the HDMI, I am using a passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter without any problems. Mine is Insignia. Short black cable with a plug on either end.

Regarding USB, for mine I just plug into whichever ports are available, including USB 2.0. Admittedly that is purely anecdotal, and I am running 2 instead of 3 sensors. In theory, even a usb 3.0 hub on a 3.0 port has more bandwidth than multiple 2.0 ports, but I don't know how polling rates or other factors would affect that. So you may be able to use your 2.0 ports without issue, it's worth a shot at least.

As to the GPU, you should be fine with the 980ti. Maybe a repaste is in order, given its age. 

I used my Rift for a long time on a 1080 and 4790k. So, comparable GPU and less CPU than you have now. I definitely had to turn down graphics settings in-game to get a smooth framerate, and also needed to let the alternate frame interpolation do its work. I don't remember if that setting was in the Oculus settings or nVidia control panel.

Good luck!

On 5/24/2022 at 10:34 PM, deferentlemur said:

HeroRareheart,

Good luck!

I did try with two sensors and it functioned much better. It's coming time to clean my rig soon so I'll try some TLC on my GPU.