PC sometimes not booting, fans dont spin, no beeps or lights.

Ricardo2696

This problem happens sometimes in the mornings when trying to start the pc. I press the power button and nothing happens, no beep codes (mobo doesent have sound or LED codes) and fans dont spin but the mobo lights are always on which means the PSU is powering it. After a couple of minutes it will finally start up but with the windows time off by like 3 to 4 hours which only happens when the booting issue is present. This has led me to think that there is something wrong with the CMOS battery or the mobo itself. Can a faulty CMOS prevent a pc from booting? would leaving my PC in sleep mode be a temporary fix?

Main System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5600x
GPU: MSI gtx 1080
MOBO: ASUS Prime B550M-A
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 watts (80 plus) .. Edit

Thanks for your help :)

26 minutes ago, Ricardo2696 said:

This problem happens sometimes in the mornings when trying to start the pc. I press the power button and nothing happens, no beep codes (mobo doesent have sound or LED codes) and fans dont spin but the mobo lights are always on which means the PSU is powering it. After a couple of minutes it will finally start up but with the windows time off by like 3 to 4 hours which only happens when the booting issue is present. This has led me to think that there is something wrong with the CMOS battery or the mobo itself. Can a faulty CMOS prevent a pc from booting? would leaving my PC in sleep mode be a temporary fix?

Main System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5600x
GPU: MSI gtx 1080
MOBO: ASUS Prime B550M-A
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 watts (80 plus) .. Edit

Thanks for your help :)

IIRC, faulty cmos won't prevent boot

When it happens do you lose your BIOS settings as well ?

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

30 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

IIRC, faulty cmos won't prevent boot

When it happens do you lose your BIOS settings as well ?

No idea if my bios settings are affected cause those have always been set to default. Are you sure faulty CMOS battery wont cause this boot issues? from what a read is posible depending on your mobo brand. What else can cause my system time to be wrong after boot issues?

41 minutes ago, Ricardo2696 said:

No idea if my bios settings are affected cause those have always been set to default. Are you sure faulty CMOS battery wont cause this boot issues? from what a read is posible depending on your mobo brand. What else can cause my system time to be wrong after boot issues?

Based on my knowledge, CMOS battery is only to provide power to save BIOS Settings.
And IIRC if the battery is dead or acting up, it will reset your BIOS setting (since MB has no power to save it), and the setting includes your boot order (it makes you have to select which drive to boot to)

Your MB is rather kinda new, so I don't think they put a lousy battery in it. I mean I have a 11y old PC which battery I never replaced up until now.
I also have a 2nd PC with MSI B550m Mortar, which should've been released at the very least the same era as yours.

That being said, if you really want to you can try replacing it with a new battery I guess? Since the battery for it is cheap anyway.

Does this problem exists since you build your PC, or just recently.
Is all the parts new, or only some are new. Like, maybe the PSU is from an older build, etc.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

9 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Based on my knowledge, CMOS battery is only to provide power to save BIOS Settings.
And IIRC if the battery is dead or acting up, it will reset your BIOS setting (since MB has no power to save it), and the setting includes your boot order (it makes you have to select which drive to boot to)

Your MB is rather kinda new, so I don't think they put a lousy battery in it. I mean I have a 11y old PC which battery I never replaced up until now.
I also have a 2nd PC with MSI B550m Mortar, which should've been released at the very least the same era as yours.

That being said, if you really want to you can try replacing it with a new battery I guess? Since the battery for it is cheap anyway.

Does this problem exists since you build your PC, or just recently.
Is all the parts new, or only some are new. Like, maybe the PSU is from an older build, etc.

CPU and Mobo are 1 year old, the rest of componets are from my previous build. This problem started happening since like 5 days ago and today it took me 20 minutes to get the pc to boot.