I9-10900k overheating

OceThunder

Good evening, I’ve had this pc for about 2-3 years now working fine but recently i got back from vacation and its overheating on cpu demanding games. It wasn't like this before i left? But anyways, idle temps sit around 25-30c but under load it will shoot up to 60-70 then slowly climb to 100 then shut down or freeze. Ive tried changing the fans back to stock ones, nothing. Ive deep cleaned it, and apply new Arctic silver thermal paste. Still nothing, I did notice my fans are only staying about 60% even though i have them set at full speed they only ramp up to 100% when the cpu gets past 70c. Is it the cooler it self? 

Build:

Asrock steel legend H470

i9-10900k (not overclocked)

Corsair h100i rgb aio 240mm

4x8gb (32gb) corsair ram

evga ultra 2080 super

evga 650 watt bronze 

16 minutes ago, OceThunder said:

Good evening, I’ve had this pc for about 2-3 years now working fine but recently i got back from vacation and its overheating on cpu demanding games. It wasn't like this before i left? But anyways, idle temps sit around 25-30c but under load it will shoot up to 60-70 then slowly climb to 100 then shut down or freeze. Ive tried changing the fans back to stock ones, nothing. Ive deep cleaned it, and apply new Arctic silver thermal paste. Still nothing, I did notice my fans are only staying about 60% even though i have them set at full speed they only ramp up to 100% when the cpu gets past 70c. Is it the cooler it self? 

Build:

Asrock steel legend H470

i9-10900k (not overclocked)

Corsair h100i rgb aio 240mm

4x8gb (32gb) corsair ram

evga ultra 2080 super

evga 650 watt bronze 

probably its a dead cooler, try and replace it

27 minutes ago, OceThunder said:

It wasn't like this before i left?

This is the information that points at the cooler / AIO pump the most. 

I've post-mortem'ed a 1st gen h100i AIO before - despite it being a sealed unit, after a number of years a whole bunch of gunk had collected around the impeller of the pump and restricted it's speed. I would theorise that's what has happened here, two weeks away was just enough so that the pump may no longer be running at full speed. It's probably not 100% dead as a 10900k would probably cook instantly with no flow.

{
    "PC": [
        {
            "Part": "CPU",
            "Spec": "i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz"
        },
        {
            "Part": "RAM",
            "Spec": "32GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 9-9-9-24"
        },
        {
            "Part": "GPU",
            "Spec": "inno3d 980Ti"
        },
        {
            "Part": "Motherboard",
            "Spec": "Asus P8Z68-v Pro"
        },
        {
            "Part": "Storage",
            "Spec": "1x 500GB 860 EVO, 2x MX500"
        },
        {
            "Part": "PSU",
            "Spec": "Corsair GS800"
        }
    ]
}

1 hour ago, Remarkable_Day said:

This is the information that points at the cooler / AIO pump the most. 

I've post-mortem'ed a 1st gen h100i AIO before - despite it being a sealed unit, after a number of years a whole bunch of gunk had collected around the impeller of the pump and restricted it's speed. I would theorise that's what has happened here, two weeks away was just enough so that the pump may no longer be running at full speed. It's probably not 100% dead as a 10900k would probably cook instantly with no flow.

1 hour ago, rotexen said:

probably its a dead cooler, try and replace it

Ohh okay, yeah just order the newer gen h100i be here Thursday hopefully that fixes it. Another thing i just noticed it maybe just be cod but i got a blue screen while playing but ik its not temp related because it only got up to 76.

6 hours ago, OceThunder said:

i got a blue screen while playing but ik its not temp related because it only got up to 76

One every half year is not a problem, one every week is. As long as it doesn't happen again don't worry 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.