Accessing a shared network drive outside my home network

Go to solution Solved by Gerowen,

+1 for a VPN server.

I use PiVPN (OpenVPN) on a raspberry pi as a dedicated VPN server, but any modern solution would suffice just fine.  I would never recommend exposing Windows file sharing (Samba) directly to the internet, especially with an "Everyone" permission set.  A simple VPN server is your quickest and easiest solution.

(Correct me if I'm but I assume I’m in the right place for remote storage - I do not own a NAS server - I just use another SSD inside a old pc sitting next to my router (it also runs a minecraft server - not sure if it changes anything))

Now, I've setup everything correctly, made sure the group: "Everyone" has access in Advanced Sharing & Security with Read & Write permissions. This works as I'd hoped it would, transferring files from my PC to the sever, (i call it a server as it runs two minecraft servers - and hopefully more data) backing up data from google drive or another computer, moving files across machines via the shared drive, etc.

However, I also intended to use it outside of my  home network and was disappointed to find out I can’t just use the external IP of the machine for access to it, (I do understand I need to add a user account so random people on the internet can steal my data) is there a possible way for me to be able to access my data/shared drive outside of my local network?

As above, you could port forward traffic to your PC (tells your router to setup a NAT rule for any traffic hitting your external IP to forward it to your PC). 

However this is generally a very bad idea security wise, and I'd strongly advise against it.

You could setup a VPN server somewhere on your network (reasonably advanced, free)

You could setup an SFTP server on the PC for remote file access (pretty easy, but some limitations, android SFTP clients generally aren't very good, free)

You could setup a free 'personal cloud' service (https://owncloud.com/ or http://www.filecloud.com as an example, cheap or free, free versions probably will have limitations but most likely fine for individual use) 

Depending on how often and what devices you'd like to access your files remotely on, I'd suggest either SFTP or a personal cloud service.

{
    "PC": [
        {
            "Part": "CPU",
            "Spec": "i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz"
        },
        {
            "Part": "RAM",
            "Spec": "32GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 9-9-9-24"
        },
        {
            "Part": "GPU",
            "Spec": "inno3d 980Ti"
        },
        {
            "Part": "Motherboard",
            "Spec": "Asus P8Z68-v Pro"
        },
        {
            "Part": "Storage",
            "Spec": "1x 500GB 860 EVO, 2x MX500"
        },
        {
            "Part": "PSU",
            "Spec": "Corsair GS800"
        }
    ]
}

+1 for a VPN server.

I use PiVPN (OpenVPN) on a raspberry pi as a dedicated VPN server, but any modern solution would suffice just fine.  I would never recommend exposing Windows file sharing (Samba) directly to the internet, especially with an "Everyone" permission set.  A simple VPN server is your quickest and easiest solution.