Performance gains at 1440p with lower cl ram with ryzen

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
5 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

G skill kit is 14-14-14-34, 3200mhz $109

Patriot is  14-16-16-36, 3600mhz $87 

is there a different kit I should be looking at ? 

Oh, if that's the pricing difference, go Patriot. 3200MHz CL14 is usually the cheapest guaranteed B die bin, and I had just assumed as much. 3600MHz CL14 and 3200MHz CL14 are very similar memory bins (with most manufacturers, IIRC TeamGroup has that be their top performing bin for some reason), though 3600MHz CL14 is still a better bin, so if you can get it for the same or less, I see no reason to go for the G.Skill kit instead for performance reasons. That Patriot kit is a pretty good deal. 

Using ryzen 5600x, gaming at 1440p would it be worth it to switch from ddr4 3600 cl18 to 3600cl14?

I need to get new ram, I borrowed this set from a friend when I was in a pinch and he needs it back so I gotta order ram today. 

Is it worth it to spend $90 for cl14 3600 vs $70 for cl 18 3600

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Ram performance is not just about cas latency or the frequency. DRAM chips and RAM layout matters.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Ram performance is not just about cas latency or the frequency. DRAM chips and RAM layout matters.

G skill flare x 3200mhz cl14 Sam B die 2x8gb 

Patriot steel 3600mhz cl14. Sam B die 2x8gb 

corsair rgb pro 3600mhz cl18 Sk Hynix I’m guessing 2x8gb

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

4 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

I need to get new ram, I borrowed this set from a friend when I was in a pinch and he needs it back so I gotta order ram today.

If you have the RAM on loan, run some benchmarks with it, then run them again with your old set. You should be able to see how much performance benefit there is, if any.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

@Eigenvektor
I’m giving him the ram back tonight, soon as I get home from work he’s gonna be meeting me there. I have no time to run any tests. I gotta order ram so I can use my pc tomorrow as the only ram I have is his kit 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

Just now, Gohardgrandpa said:

G skill flare x 3200mhz cl14 Sam B die

Patriot steel 3600mhz cl14. Sam B die

corsair rgb pro 3600mhz cl18 Sk Hynix I’m guessing 

I would avoid Corsair rams just to be on the safe side [because of how many issues I saw people are having with them]. Out of those options, getting Patriot rams seems to be safest option. That being said, if gskill kit also uses actual B die kits (which is interesting because samsung doesnt produce actual B die kits anymore, only downbin garbage) there is a good chance that it can overclock as much as Patriot kit.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

For a $20 difference, sure, why not. If you're just using XMP, it's a ~5-10% difference depending on the workflow (some really like faster memory, some couldn't care less). 

6 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

G skill flare x 3200mhz cl14 Sam B die

This is probably your best bet because, thanks to it being B die, you can overclock the crap out of it. 3800MHz CL16 with tight subtimings should be very achievable and will perform better than 3600MHz CL18 thanks to the FCLK being higher, and it's probably cheaper than 3600MHz CL14. 

Just now, Levent said:

which is interesting because samsung doesnt produce actual B die kits anymore, only downbin garbage

That's actually false, they still produce B die memory chips, they stopped producing OEM sticks with B die on them. If you buy something from G.skill, Patriot, Corsair, TeamGroup, etc. that's flat 14s like the G.Skill kit would be, it will be genuine B die and still clock pretty well. 

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

For a $20 difference, sure, why not. If you're just using XMP, it's a ~5-10% difference depending on the workflow (some really like faster memory, some couldn't care less). 

This is probably your best bet because, thanks to it being B die, you can overclock the crap out of it. 3800MHz CL16 should be very achievable and will perform better than 3600MHz CL18 thanks to the FCLK being higher, and it's probably cheaper than 3600MHz CL14. 

Patriot kit 2 is 16-16-16-36 4000mhz $90

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

I would go with the G.Skills. If you can swing two sets I would go that route and double them up. It’s not about capacity, there is a performance benefit.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

I would go with the G.Skills. If you can swing two sets I would go that route and double them up. It’s not about capacity, there is a performance benefit.

Is there a different 16gb kit I should be looking at? I’m open to any brand just want good performance from it

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

5 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Oh, if that's the pricing difference, go Patriot. 3200MHz CL14 is usually the cheapest guaranteed B die bin, and I had just assumed as much. 3600MHz CL14 and 3200MHz CL14 are very similar memory bins (with most manufacturers, IIRC TeamGroup has that be their top performing bin for some reason), though 3600MHz CL14 is still a better bin, so if you can get it for the same or less, I see no reason to go for the G.Skill kit instead for performance reasons. That Patriot kit is a pretty good deal. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Oh, if that's the pricing difference, go Patriot. 3200MHz CL14 is usually the cheapest guaranteed B die bin, and I had just assumed as much. 3600MHz CL14 and 3200MHz CL14 are very similar memory bins, though 3600MHz CL14 is still a better bin, so if you can get it for the same or less, I see no reason to go for the G.Skill kit instead for performance reasons. That Patriot kit is a pretty good deal. 

Thank you, I’ll order them now

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

3200MHz CL14 is usually the cheapest guaranteed B die bin

3200C14 is a really good bin. At least my 2 kits are pretty wicked. 3600 flat 14s is no problem.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

Just now, freeagent said:

3200C14 is a really good bin. At least my 2 kits are pretty wicked. 3600 flat 14s is no problem.

It's still a very solid memory bin, it's just still the worst of the good memory bins. IIRC G.Skills top bin for B Die is 4400MHz CL16, though thanks to B die being inconsistent AF with how it scales with voltage a 3200MHz CL14 kit can still perform better than those high end kits, it's just that those higher bins are more likely to be great than the lower bins.