Dorm Room NAS and Gaming PC in one.

Go to solution Solved by Levent,

Sure, just connect as many disks you want and just create a network share using samba on Windows or on Linux. You dont have to complicate your setup to be able to do just gaming and a network accessible storage. Network side of it can be more problematic if you plan on using dorm provided WLAN and LAN.

Good afternoon, all. 

I am heading off to college in the fall, and I would like to take my 5 y/o gaming desktop and update it a bit. Current state of the build is below. I'm hoping that I can use this as both a gaming PC and a NAS. Is that possible? If so, any resources on how to proceed? What hardware should I use for this build? 

V/R

Morinehtar

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rkkMC6

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($1017.09 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler  ($40.00 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI B350M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 980 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($42.99 @ Western Digital) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($684.99 @ Monoprice) 
Total: $1895.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-24 15:26 EDT-0400

Sure, just connect as many disks you want and just create a network share using samba on Windows or on Linux. You dont have to complicate your setup to be able to do just gaming and a network accessible storage. Network side of it can be more problematic if you plan on using dorm provided WLAN and LAN.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Morinehtar said:

I'm hoping that I can use this as both a gaming PC and a NAS. Is that possible? If so, any resources on how to proceed? What hardware should I use for this build?

Yes it's possible, and very easy. Just build a gaming PC but buy some extra hard drives. Set them in in a Windows Storage Spaces, then create a network share. 

Upgrade cpu to a 5600 or 3600 even, the mobo will accept newer CPUs with a bios update beforehand. remove ram and install 2x8gb 3200 in dual channel.  

Couple of storage devices and away you go. 

On 5/24/2022 at 3:27 PM, Levent said:

Perfect! Thank you!