Kaspersky anti virus

Hello there,

Recently I have purchase a dell xps 17 laptop, and I was wondering if I have I need a anti virus or anti malware software installed on it, specifically Kaspersky, my brother told me it is really important, but I told him that will eventually slow the computer performance, I don't game on the laptop, I use the laptop for video creation and browsing the internet, but my question is should I install an anti virus software? what are the disadvantage of it? what are some other way that would keep me safe from viruses on my laptop? should I have a it installed or not? will it slow down my laptop performance ?

Just use Windows defender and keep your OS up to date. No real need for bloatware like Norton or Kaspersky IMO. If you're really that bothered then AVG seems to be the least intrusive but I've not used any antivirus software for years other than Windows built in and been absolutely fine. Just stop visiting dodgy websites 😉

Just now, blackghost3344 said:

so will the anti virus slow the laptop performance

I would say so, yes, as well as do annoying things like pop ups at the bottom of the screen, block things that are actually fine, etc.

The windows anti virus does a pretty great job at keeping a computer safe but people often download Malwarebytes onto their laptop or desktop if they need more safe options.

3 minutes ago, blackghost3344 said:

so will the anti virus slow the laptop performance

Yes, whatever you do, something that takes up ram space and CPU time will affect the performance, how little it the impact might be depends on the app and how aggressive it is.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

but how can I keep my laptop safe, like away from viruses and malware, for example should I only keep updating the laptop, or enabling the windows defender

2 minutes ago, blackghost3344 said:

but how can I keep my laptop safe, like away from viruses and malware, for example should I only keep updating the laptop, or enabling the windows defender

Don't visit dodgy websites, check website certificates and URL is correct (and not a clone link to something unsafe), use a good browser, keep OS and WD up to date, don't download anything unless you know it's from a reputable source, and so on. Basically be smart and be sensible, realistically nobody is going to hack you out of nowhere so it comes down to what you think you're downloading/websites you're using.

12 minutes ago, blackghost3344 said:

Always update Windows and your software.

Don't google up "free movies" or "cracked game".

You're done.

25 minutes ago, blackghost3344 said:

Malwarebytes free doesnt scan in the background, only when you tell it to, so its a better deal for low end, with a price of $0

always practice common sense, but if you are scared 😕

check your cables!
samsung s10e | android enthusiast | Tech blogger | XC Athlete | Surface pro 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using KASPERSKY for a long time it's better that windows defender in terms of perfomance,like I see high cou usage while using windows defender windows malware service is always using high cou like more than 20 percent.but in KASPERSKY cpu usage is very low no impact on battery life.Also Kaspersky doest not have impact on gaming perfomance since it will not scan a file which already been scanned also it have gaming mode which will stop all notification.i use KASPERSKY cloud security free version