Will my power supply be powerful enough?

Owner_of_potato
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
3 minutes ago, ExalyThor said:

I suggest a 1200W Seasonic Titanium rated power supply. You should all stop assuming that just because it's not a sAsONiC or derived from one it will blow up. That power supply may not be very efficient, quiet, or capable of delivering very clean power, but it's good enough for OPs needs.

No.

Thats BEYOND TERRIBLE advice. This psu is known to have issues. It's a risky unit. If you can avoid using it do so. Op is RIGHTLY worried here as the psu itself is already blatantly lying ON THE STICKER AND BOX. So yeah this is a danger unit. Low quality and does not seem to have any form of protection what so over. It doesn't even have a 80+ rating. This is a beyond terrible unit basically guaranteed to kill a system.

Will there be people that are lucky and use this psu for a decade without issues? Probably. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a bad unit and you should NOT rely on luck.

Hi, I have got a good offer of pre-built PC. It has an i3-10100F and RTX 3050 8GB. What worries me tho, that the power supply in the system is a DeepCool DE600, it says that it is 600W, but in their website it shows 450W of output. Will this power supply be enough to power the system?

The link of the power supply: https://www.deepcool.com/products/PowerSupplyUnits/powersupplyunits/2021/14298.shtml

Yes it's good enough. Also I don't see 600W advertised anywhere on the PSU. 600 is just a model number.

9 hours ago, ExalyThor said:

Yes it's good enough. Also I don't see 600W advertised anywhere on the PSU. 600 is just a model number.

Okay thanks

9 hours ago, jaslion said:

Not with that hunk of junk psu.

What

49 minutes ago, Owner_of_potato said:

What

That it's a garbage PSU. Don't use it!

2 hours ago, Owner_of_potato said:

What

The quality of that psu is very low to the point that if you ask too much of it it is very likely to break and kill your computer. Do not use it.

On 5/25/2022 at 9:49 AM, jaslion said:

The quality of that psu is very low to the point that if you ask too much of it it is very likely to break and kill your computer. Do not use it.

I suggest a 1200W Seasonic Titanium rated power supply. You should all stop assuming that just because it's not a sAsONiC or derived from one it will blow up. That power supply may not be very efficient, quiet, or capable of delivering very clean power, but it's good enough for OPs needs.

3 minutes ago, ExalyThor said:

No.

Thats BEYOND TERRIBLE advice. This psu is known to have issues. It's a risky unit. If you can avoid using it do so. Op is RIGHTLY worried here as the psu itself is already blatantly lying ON THE STICKER AND BOX. So yeah this is a danger unit. Low quality and does not seem to have any form of protection what so over. It doesn't even have a 80+ rating. This is a beyond terrible unit basically guaranteed to kill a system.

Will there be people that are lucky and use this psu for a decade without issues? Probably. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a bad unit and you should NOT rely on luck.

30 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No.

Visit the site OP linked. Nowhere in it does Deepcool advertise it as a 600 Watt unit. Name is misleading indeed, you see 600 on the sticker, you assume it's a 600W unit. But there is no W following the 600 model number. If you look at the voltage rails on the sticker literally bellow the DE600 model number you can see all the rails and their capabilities. You claimed that this PSU is known to have issues. Idc about any reviews of it, but you made me curious about the one you read which found out these known issues by testing more than one unit. You also said it doesn't look like it has any protections, but if you check the manufacturer's site, you can clearly see all the protections this unit has built in.

I'm not a fan of these power supplies either because of their low efficiency, loud fans and poor filtering which negatively affects overclocking. But unless a particular model is known to fail, I see no reason not to use such a unit in a system where I don't care about efficiency, low acoustics or overclocking.

Guys, i'm confused now, anyways, the 600W is only said in the website im buying the pc from. As far as I know DeepCool makes good PSUs, so will I need to change the power supply or not?

6 hours ago, ExalyThor said:

Visit the site OP linked. Nowhere in it does Deepcool advertise it as a 600 Watt unit. Name is misleading indeed, you see 600 on the sticker, you assume it's a 600W unit. But there is no W following the 600 model number. If you look at the voltage rails on the sticker literally bellow the DE600 model number you can see all the rails and their capabilities. You claimed that this PSU is known to have issues. Idc about any reviews of it, but you made me curious about the one you read which found out these known issues by testing more than one unit. You also said it doesn't look like it has any protections, but if you check the manufacturer's site, you can clearly see all the protections this unit has built in.

I'm not a fan of these power supplies either because of their low efficiency, loud fans and poor filtering which negatively affects overclocking. But unless a particular model is known to fail, I see no reason not to use such a unit in a system where I don't care about efficiency, low acoustics or overclocking.

I won't overclock yet, might maybe do it in the future when i'll upgrade the PSU. Thanks

Have got mixed opinions dont even know who to believe anymore

2 minutes ago, Owner_of_potato said:

It's a 450W PSU, but one that's absolute garbage, and one that you should not get. There are not mixed opinions, just @ExalyThor being clueless and saying meaningless things to confuse you.

:)

32 minutes ago, seon123 said:

It's a 450W PSU, but one that's absolute garbage, and one that you should not get. There are not mixed opinions, just @ExalyThor being clueless and saying meaningless things to confuse you.

And who are you exactly?

44 minutes ago, Owner_of_potato said:

This happens a lot here.   Lots of people like to "post=post+1" around here.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:11 AM, Owner_of_potato said:

Hi, I have got a good offer of pre-built PC. It has an i3-10100F and RTX 3050 8GB. What worries me tho, that the power supply in the system is a DeepCool DE600, it says that it is 600W, but in their website it shows 450W of output. Will this power supply be enough to power the system?

The link of the power supply: https://www.deepcool.com/products/PowerSupplyUnits/powersupplyunits/2021/14298.shtml

That is a very, very poor quality 450W PSU.  It's made for office machines, not gaming machines.  But even then, I'd have my reservations using it in my mom's desktop.

4 minutes ago, ExalyThor said:

And who are you exactly?

Someone that can see that you're just saying random things and that you are not knowledgeable at all about the topic.

7 hours ago, ExalyThor said:

I suggest a 1200W Seasonic Titanium rated power supply. You should all stop assuming that just because it's not a sAsONiC or derived from one it will blow up.

No one cares about the brand, any company is capable of selling crap and every company is capable of selling decent products. You are the only one that care so much about the brand that that was your main argument.

capable of delivering very clean power

That is a very common phrase used by clueless people when they want to pretend knowing anything about PSUs. Just like people rambling on about the efficiency of a PSU instead of anything even remotely useful, like topology, regulation, ripple, transient response, protections, noise, hold up time etc.

You also said it doesn't look like it has any protections, but if you check the manufacturer's site, you can clearly see all the protections this unit has built in.

Even on their website, you can see that they don't even claim to have OTP or OCP. If you kept looking (and had even basic knowledge of how to judge PSUs) you would see that it only supports 160-240V input, so it's more sensitive to brownouts, and that it only provides 408W on the 12V rail, meaning it's group regulated and therefore garbage.

Instead of spewing BS and just confusing people like OP trying to get help, I recommend you spend some time actually learning about PSUs so you can provide actually useful advice.

:)

Idk how to quote multiple little bits in a timely manner.

What is the point of confusing the OP with terms like transient response and ripple when "clean power" is easy to digest? Why is ripple a factor when we talk about a locked i3 and a 3050 which is not worth undervolting because it already sips power (I doubt the bios allows you to undervolt it close to the brink of instability anyway to save an additional 5w of power?)

Who cares about brownouts?

The protections I admit I didn't pay much attention to them, I just noticed it has *some*, that's my bad. Not having OTP in a low quality unit where the fan is more likely to fail is not good.

Even more confused, it looks like its a weak PSU tho, will upgrade when i'll scrap some new money for it

11 hours ago, Owner_of_potato said:

Even more confused, it looks like its a weak PSU tho, will upgrade when i'll scrap some new money for it

Sorry people have to be that way.

Bottom line: 

It's a 450W PSU.

It's for high mains only (only works on mains voltages above 180V or so.. hard to say exactly since it's not on the label), which means if you have frequent brown outs, the PSU will blow up.

Sleeve bearing fan that will wear out quickly.

Lacks any kind of certification that would require the unit to pass IEC-62368-1 safety requirements.

It's really just a terrible, terrible unit.

On 5/27/2022 at 12:01 PM, Owner_of_potato said:

As far as I know DeepCool makes good PSUs

I don't know where you would have gotten that information from.

I mean... they have *some* good PSUs, but most of them are not good.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

Sorry people have to be that way.

Bottom line: 

It's a 450W PSU.

It's for high mains only (only works on mains voltages above 180V or so.. hard to say exactly since it's not on the label), which means if you have frequent brown outs, the PSU will blow up.

Sleeve bearing fan that will wear out quickly.

Lacks any kind of certification that would require the unit to pass IEC-62368-1 safety requirements.

It's really just a terrible, terrible unit.

I don't know where you would have gotten that information from.

I mean... they have *some* good PSUs, but most of them are not good.

Explode? I'm now afraid

36 minutes ago, Owner_of_potato said:

Explode? I'm now afraid

Well, if it explodes on the primary side, odds are very slim any damage will occur to your parts. 

10 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Well, if it explodes on the primary side, odds are very slim any damage will occur to your parts. 

Is the chance of that high tho?

7 hours ago, Owner_of_potato said:

Do you have a lot of brown outs?

7 hours ago, Owner_of_potato said:

It's a bad power supply and whether or not it blows up, it will cause you anxiety.

How are you with mail in rebates?

This is a nice unit and only $45 after rebate. And If you shut off the lights it reaches near Gold efficiency.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx550f-rgb-cp-9020216-na-550w/p/N82E16817139265?Item=N82E16817139265&Source=socialshare&cm_mmc=snc-social-_-sr-_-17-139-265-_-05292022