Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Momentary Black Screens

Ronath

Radeon RX 580 with MSI MAG240CR and MAG241C monitors via DisplayPort (Win 11, Intel i5-9600k, 32 GB Memory, ASRock Z390 Pro 4)

This has been a constant issue for me for a long time, but it's not consistent and it has a new feature to it.

Basically when I play a game I get black screens. They last a few moments and then the game continues as normal - actually the game is continuing as normal during the black screen, I just can't see it. This only happens during gaming, not video playback, and while I think of it as happening for more graphically intensive games, it can happen on relatively simple games.

I do have two monitors and AMD Software says this can happen with multiple monitors if you have Enhanced Sync enabled - which is why I haven't had that enabled in ages. 

In that past I've gone periods were it doesn't happen at all, periods where it happens constantly, and periods like right now - it's only happening on the MAG240CR, which is the "better" one with higher refresh rate (165 versus 144). I had to switch which is my primary monitor and it will occasionally black out while I'm playing on the MAG241C. 

I just moved so everything got unplugged, packed, replugged in, so it occurs to me that maybe this is as simple as a bad displayport cable? Where maybe I grabbed a different cable for the currently working monitor, or it's now unkinked or something so it's working perfectly? Could I have fixed this annoying issue I've been dealing with a new $10 cable?

Well try switching around the cables first and checking connections. Set the monitors to lower refresh rate and see what happens. Un/reinstall your GPU drivers if that doesn’t work.

I'm not a professional, just an enthusiast. I don't know everything.

HGST Ultrastar: The last HDD you'll ever need to buy (and the one I always recommend).

Schrödinger's CPU: The Q9650. Is it irrelevant? Is it not? 

11 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well try switching around the cables first and checking connections. Set the monitors to lower refresh rate and see what happens. Un/reinstall your GPU drivers if that doesn’t work.

I'll try switching cables around tomorrow, though I hate the idea because right now I have one "perfectly" functional monitor and I've had them black out for hours previously. 

As for reinstalling drivers that's redundant. This has been an issue for 30+ driver versions, two versions of Windows (and a couple fresh installs) over several years. I'm fairly sure this is hardware, not software.