Dell Optiplex 7010 Power Supply Change

LiLBro

Hey guys,

I got a dell optiplex 7010 which I did a case swap with. Then I bought a new power supply which is "PowerSpec PS 550BF". The first time I bought this power supply it didn't turn on at all so I went back and got a replacement. This one ran for about 4 days then just shut down. Before it shut down there was a smell, which I just assumed it was the 'new power supply smell'. But yesterday it got worse and then the pc just shut down. Now when I try to turn on the pc it literally moves the fans for like 0.5 and then goes back off. Then clicking the power button gives nothing until I wait a bit which then does the same thing and then cant click the power button again. When I plug in the old dell stock power supply it turns on fine. 

Specs:

i5-3470

ssd and hdd both 500gb

msi gtx 750ti

Case is a Cyberpower/Phanteks collab case

power supply is as stated

So I plan on getting a new power supply but is there anything I should know about wattage or anything. I read on some forms that people tend to get the EVGA 700br which apparently is the best but I don't really need that type of wattage. Apparently the 3.3v/5v rail is supposed to be 145w+ watts to run a gaming setup. But the previous dell stock power supply says those rails cannot exceed 100w and that power supply works fine. Should I be worried about these rails. Some forms say almost any power supply will work and some say you need to get the EVGA 700br. So will a Antec VP-450 work with this pc. This is just the VP-450 not the plus. These rails are on 120w. I don't want the same thing to happen 3 times now so hopefully before I buy it I will have some confidence. Also is there anything I need to now about this pc setup?

485311_402396_03_front_zoom.jpg

get somthing from corsair ( a reputable brand) or check out the PSU tier list on the forum

Wouldn't recommend random amazon Power Supplies

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

15 minutes ago, LiLBro said:

Apparently the 3.3v/5v rail is supposed to be 145w+ watts to run a gaming setup.

I've seen that before. If it needs at least 145w, it needs at least 145w and it won't work with a VP450.

7 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

I've seen that before. If it needs at least 145w, it needs at least 145w and it won't work with a VP450.

But I do have a gtx 750ti which only requires 60w of power. I feel like there would be no need for a 700w with 145w rail unless I upgrade something like a 1060 or something. 

That's not the point. The motherboard needs a minimum current to POST.

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

That's not the point. The motherboard needs a minimum current to POST.

Ok so the powerspec one I bought did run this computer until it died. The computer posted fine and ran for the 4 days. That powerspec has 120w rail like the vp450