Where Are the Cables???

Plouffe

Tired of conventional case design and cable management? We know we are, so when Gigabyte sent us a Project Stealth we had to put it together and see for ourselves if there could be a better way.

Gigabyte Project Stealth: https://www.gigabyte.com/DIY-KIT/GB-STEALTH-COMBO-IN2181#kf

MainGear's Stealth Gaming PC: https://maingear.com/stealth-pc/

Gigabyte UD 1000W Gold GEN 5: https://geni.us/8LuBHU

AORUS WATERFORCE X 360: https://geni.us/SqsDlz

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

3 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Tired of conventional case design and cable management?

no

3 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

We know we are

but...

I ate all the cables, you mean they were supposed to do something? They looked like twizzlers

do you have a doctor?

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

That Thermal is extremely bad, I have 12700 System here, and with Mere NH-U12S

my thermal is only hitting 80c during cinebench stress test while only 30-40C on light use, and 50-60 on gaming, that is a budget Single tower air cooler

the thing looks something like this

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.49752e8e0495f19559d3b28b0a228d51.jpeg

Case matters guys

I'm expecting wireless power delivery, wireless PCI, wireless watercooling lines, the works.

{
    "PC": [
        {
            "Part": "CPU",
            "Spec": "i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz"
        },
        {
            "Part": "RAM",
            "Spec": "32GB 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro CL9 9-9-9-24"
        },
        {
            "Part": "GPU",
            "Spec": "inno3d 980Ti"
        },
        {
            "Part": "Motherboard",
            "Spec": "Asus P8Z68-v Pro"
        },
        {
            "Part": "Storage",
            "Spec": "1x 500GB 860 EVO, 2x MX500"
        },
        {
            "Part": "PSU",
            "Spec": "Corsair GS800"
        }
    ]
}

This case is the literal definition of PATENTS Killing off innovation.

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

I dont have any plans to build another PC any time soon but I am a huge fan of this concept. Hope these become ready available all around the world in couple of years.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I feel like solid front panel cases (at least gaming oriented cases, office ones are fine) should be a thing of the past by now. It's 2022, and the fact that a big brand like Gigabyte is still making horribly restricted airflow cases is kind of annoying. It is a cool looking case though, just come on Gigabyte, you can do better (or can you, we really don't know)

Specs: 11700 | RTX 3060 | 32gb 3200mhz | 1tb 970 + 2TB HDD | Lian Li O11D Mini X Black

I'm 15 and live in the US

Well, hopefully it isn't patented, become a mainstream thing, so that atleast we can have it with more cases.

But, since sideways one is rare still nowadays, I doubt it.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Actually, putting stuff on both sides of the board is really nothing new. Well, in the PC space it partly is. But in the PCB manufacturing space it really isn't.

However, through hole components tends to require hand soldering one of the sides instead of wave soldering it. (But most PC motherboards likely don't see the tin wave to start with, since it doesn't really play well alongside SMD components, even when the SMDs are glued in. And yes, gluing in SMDs is a thing. And most motherboards I have seen don't show any signs of having been wave soldered, so either they do an amazing job at masking everything, or they simply use other soldering methods. Perhaps just SMDing the through hole ones as well, smearing in past into the through holes can lead to somewhat decent and repeatable results after all.)

For SMD components, then double sided boards are common place, and a lot of production houses skips gluing them down and simply does one side first, soldering it and everything before doing the other. As long there isn't any drift sensitive parts on it, then it is fine. (and with drift I mean a change in electrical specifications due to the fairly high heat of soldering.)

For heavier components, usually connectors, then glue typically is used to hold stuff in place. But some connectors latch into a set of guide holes removing any need for glue.

But in the end, there shouldn't really be much holding the industry back from putting connectors on the back, main reason is that exceptionally few cases would support such a motherboard, and likely fewer customers would really have much interesting in it.

I also can't help but find it funny how quickly the video went from "this is going to be awesome!" to "Did Gigabyte even test their product?! The connectors aren't even close to fitting..." But at least there were an easy fix for the cooling issue, now the metalwork just needs a bit of filing to give better clearance for the connectors.

I really really like this concept and have dreamt of it multiple times.  Not even the airflow aspect, but if done well it would make plugging in everything so much easier.  IMHO ka-jiggering everything to the front is the most difficult part of the build.  Sad the first time I see this was bad execution.

I can dream of a future where the manufactures actually agree on a standard and make this happen right?

(Love the sudden drilling of the holes!!!)

39 minutes ago, Remarkable_Day said:

I'm expecting wireless power delivery, wireless PCI, wireless watercooling lines, the works.

Wireless water cooling - it would work like a dehumidifier. Draws moisture from the air, concentrates it into water, passes it over the CPU, then the humidifier turns it right back into moist air. Perfect!

FINALLY!!!! Is there going to be an AMD version too? Either platform is fine, not a fan boy of either, but choice is always nice.

You know 8 years ago I posted about this same exact subject on this forum. It was the reason why I signed up. People there were ready to declare me insane, but now 8 years later, look at me now! @Dzzopethanks for believing in me!

1 hour ago, Ritsu- said:

That was a big oof by Gigabyte, I truly appreciate how genuine Linus was in this video - On the other hand, not a fan of too many memes, specially the "you just have to say you are fine when..."

I agree overall, first one was 'whatever', second one shouldve been <2 seconds.

I find it funny when linus just comes in with a drill and drills out the holes

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

5 hours ago, heickelrrx said:

Case matters guys

Corsair 4000d?

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

If this comes for Lian Li Dynamic XL.. i would switch on the "dime/moment/day" it came out.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

The least is that the ONE component from Gigabyte you didn't use was a GP-P750GM/850GM. That thing killed one of Gamers Nexus' 3080s! Or, the card had another problem that resulted in it sh*tting itself, but that still circles back to Gigabyte coz they produced the card. So they're in the hot-seat for killing one of Steve's GPUs with a defective power supply that they didn't recall immediately when identified as defective *COUGH*NZXT H1 PCIe Riser*Cough*, or they're on the hook for selling him a sh*tty graphics card. Either way, things look kinda F*cked for Gigabyte at the moment.

Love the idea.  Piss poor execution.

The next evolution of the concept is hard cabling.  That's really a cinch for a company doing proprietary stuff.  You know the socket locations and where the cable needs to go.  So making a thin, rigid cable to go between would probably work a treat.

Of course, given even more time and money, you could also get a fundamental redesign of motherboard to take full advantage of a cable-less setup.  Like where every plug on the motherboard is designed to come out the bottom edge of the card.  Or maybe even 2-piece or auxiliary board configurations; where the PSU, GPU, USB headers, etc--all connect directly to the main motherboard--and the M.2's and maybe even RAM are on a peripheral board which is placed for greater ease of access/use. 

same, decent idea, could be developed better for better use and future use.

also sus episode, nearly killed a man with that saw tool. dont have your hand and veins that close, close call.

hope they have medkit equipment in the shop when handling these tools.

26 minutes ago, James Evens said:

The critical question are they trained to use them?

The best medikit with the best signs pointing to it is worthless if you panic or don't know how to use it.

I imagine that there's someone trained to use them. I forget if it was Scrapyard wars or what it was but the logistics manager who passed away in 2020 was trained and was pretty strict about following the rules about reporting any cuts that draw blood as well as putting on bandages for if Linus wanted to continue to do the stuff with a PC that lead to him getting a cut..

Can I just say watching linus Dunk the hell out of this was utterly fucking hilarious?

DO IT AGAIN, Linus!

Calling out ATX as a spec is one thing, but you have to remember that it has been embarrassingly obsolete now for decades.

The design harkans back to when beige boxes sat on tabletops with CRT's stacked on top. Your mobo was always horizontal and your GPU (if you even had one) was a single slot affair. Those days are long gone!!!

In a world where 4 slot GPU's are now the norm, PCIe slots need to be reinforced with METAL to handle the shearing stress, horizontal optical drive bays are gone and PC's require multiple fans (case, cpu and gpu) just to run, never mind keep cool, I have to question as well just HOW STUPID some designs really are. The problem that needs solving is not cable management but rather component placement and component size. We already see this with space restrictions around CPU sockets becoming more of a bottleneck. GPU's also have dimensional limitations. These then present thermal and power challenges that need to be met - two problems that simply didn't exist when those beige boxes were common everywhere.

In the server space manufacturers can give ATX the finger by using proprietary designs - there you see dual socket and multi GPU solutions common. With only one restriction (rack width) they can build as deep and as tall as they want.

ATX may indeed have been more than adequate for the 486/Pentium days and a Tseng Labs ET6000, except those weren't space heaters that tripped your breaker. For a system like mine that has a water-cooled 8 core and four GPU's, the only case I could build in was a CaseLabs Mercury S8, that also ironically goes back to that horizontal mobo layout so as to better handle the weight of four heavy graphics cards. And funny enough, for all the gear I have crammed inside my case the cable management is extremely well done - you literally have to search for the cables they are that well hidden and concealed from view. Cable management isn't a big deal and can be done well. This design tries to kill a problem only to create another even worse one. Whoever green lit this needs their head examined.