Burn in resistant monitors for writing/gaming

Hybris5112
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,
49 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

For burn in resistance what specs/tech should I be looking for?

Any IPS/VA/TN monitor will be pretty much immune to burn-in. There are rare cases of burn-in on these displays, but we're talking extremely rare and when it happens it's usually one specific model, basically to the point where i'd say it's a non-issue.

OLED is the only current display tech that suffers from permanent burn-in.

Is this incompatible with high refresh 4k displays currently or soon to be on the market?

Not a problem. There are plenty of 4K high refresh rate monitors.

Should I expect to budget more money to get the features I want?

No, there are plenty of good 4K 144Hz IPS monitors available for around $650 US.

A few examples are the Gigabyte M28U, Samsung Odyssey G7 LS28 and the MSI MAG281URF.

Over the pandemic I had taken up writing fan fiction and I am about to start down the path of producing something I intend to get published on Amazon at some point. However I have found my current 1440p Asus monitor suffers from increasingly annoying burn in where for example going from my word processor to the LTT forums where I have dark mode on I can quite clearly read what I had been typing for the next hour or two.

I had been milling over for sometime a 144-165hz 4k monitor upgrade but I wanted to wait for prices of panels to drop below a $1000 usd or so before pulling the trigger, but now with this new desire for burn in resistance I am not sure if I am asking for something that isn't available.

So I guess my questions are:

Is this incompatible with high refresh 4k displays currently or soon to be on the market?

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

Any IPS/VA/TN monitor will be pretty much immune to burn-in. There are rare cases of burn-in on these displays, but we're talking extremely rare and when it happens it's usually one specific model, basically to the point where i'd say it's a non-issue.

No, there are plenty of good 4K 144Hz IPS monitors available for around $650 US.

A few examples are the Gigabyte M28U, Samsung Odyssey G7 LS28 and the MSI MAG281URF.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

20 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I had an LG IPS panel that developed image retention thought. 
It isn't burn in, but it sounds like exactly in this post. If i had something open for few hours, then the afterimage would be seen for like 10mins until it disappeared.

So while burn-in is pretty much impossible, image retention is much more common, but still rare, and should be under warranty.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

True,For example my 7 years old TN panel doesn't have burn-in at all.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

The last display I was on and noticed burn-in was plasma (yes this was in 2022...).

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

6 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

I had an LG IPS panel that developed image retention thought. 
It isn't burn in, but it sounds like exactly in this post. If i had something open for few hours, then the afterimage would be seen for like 10mins until it disappeared.

So while burn-in is pretty much impossible, image retention is much more common, but still rare, and should be under warranty.

There was one particular LG ultrawide i was hearing about when it comes to burn-in on IPS. That's why i said extremely rare and typically specific to a model.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

16 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

There was one particular LG ultrawide i was hearing about when it comes to burn-in on IPS. That's why i said extremely rare and typically specific to a model.

Never had an ultrawide, so it more seems like an overall manufacturer issue, and that is LG. I have seen other models from LG also develop image retention just after the 2 year warranty is over.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

On 5/24/2022 at 9:06 AM, Stahlmann said:

I have to admit that I hadn't seen that the monitor prices had dropped quite that much so this helps greatly.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."