Scam or Really Linus ? i Think its a scam and if it is maybe its good for others to know here.

Go to solution Solved by Arika,

Think critically. why would Linus get you to message him on telegram, a platform he has never mentioned that he uses, for a contest that was never announced?

And that's ignoring the fact that the name of the account isn't the official LTT one.

Under the Video of Linus with the Radiator Pc Table someone did say i won as you can see in the Screenshots.

Now he did msg me on telegram and wants my Personal Information for Sending me a brand new cool pc :'D.

I Think its a Scam but what do you Guys think :)?

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-24 at 08.03.22.jpeg

Lol. Obviously it is. Other funny thing here is you upvoted the bot and your own post.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Beware imposters promising free gifts.

That's an extremely common scam. Almost every comment under almost every famous tech YouTuber lately has been attracting those scammers.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

Lol. Obviously it is. Other funny thing here is you upvoted the bot and your own post.

yes, First i was thinking its really Linus ... after i switch from Phone to Pc i was a unsure. (i did delete the likes from youtube sry)

thank you Guys for Help and should i show more Pictures of the scamer or Telegram Informations ?

Edit: one Crazy thing is if i comment under his youtube comment it gets instant deleted crazy...

It's baffling to see people fall for this kind of scams.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Think critically. why would Linus get you to message him on telegram, a platform he has never mentioned that he uses, for a contest that was never announced?

And that's ignoring the fact that the name of the account isn't the official LTT one.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Yes, you are right.

11 minutes ago, Vishera said:

It's baffling to see people fall for this kind of scams.

i was in hurry and was reading maybe a little bit fast.

If you were ever certain that it really was LTT that commented, just click their icon, if it shows you a channel with 10+ million subs, youare good. If not then it's  a scam.

Another day, another post about the obvious Youtube comment scam asking if it's legit or not...

And youtube is STILL not doing anything to fight this garbage.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Julian Buettner said:

Yes, you are right.

i was in hurry and was reading maybe a little bit fast.

Interesting reaction. My first instinct when someone or something tells me I "won something" is to say "F*** Off!"

Suppose I'm not exactly a trusting person. 😛

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

You know you can click on the username right? It will take you to a youtube page for a channel with 2 or 3 subs at most.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The name of the account doesn't match the name of the channel you're watching, or any of their official channels. I really wish people would stop falling for profile pictures..

You cannot win a contest you haven't entered, much-less one that wasn't even announced.

If you have to ask whether or not something is legit, then  it's more than likely a scam.

This sort of impersonation, however crude, has been occurring for quite some time and has targeted many channels.

I hope I don't have to say this, but please don't send your personal info to people you don't know for things you didn't ask for.

They wouldn't ever announce someone winning something on public like that. Also, this is why all the bigger creators use Gleam or some other provider, to eliminate all bots and scams.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Another day, another post about the obvious Youtube comment scam asking if it's legit or not...

And youtube is STILL not doing anything to fight this garbage.

Forget YouTube. You'd think the forum mods here would at least make a FAQ or a sticky post.

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

Forget YouTube. You'd think the forum mods here would at least make a FAQ or a sticky post.

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

They wouldn't ever announce someone winning something on public like that. Also, this is why all the bigger creators use Gleam or some other provider, to eliminate all bots and scams.

That would be a good idea...

1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

People who entertain the possibility these things are real are not the type of people who read stickied posts.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

5 hours ago, Middcore said:

People who entertain the possibility these things are real are not the type of people who read stickied posts.

We're getting a new thread on it here literally every single day so at least it would clear up that clutter.

7 hours ago, dilpickle said:

23 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

We're getting a new thread on it here literally every single day so at least it would clear up that clutter.

Have thought about it, haven't ruled it out at this stage but it likely won't be helpful in the way that you want it to be.

The problem is this really isn't a forum issue it's a Youtube issue and if LMG wants to actually do something about it then it would be far more effective adding a pinned comment to each video warning people about the scams or adding a warning in the video description. Very few people who see those scam comments on Youtube will then create an account on the LTT forum to ask about them. The number of people you do see coming here to ask is a reflection of just how widespread the problem is on Youtube and there must be hundreds if not thousands of people every day seeing these scam comments on their videos.

I would rather somebody come to the forum and create a new thread to ask, even if it's the 10th thread we've got this week asking the same question, if it means that they avoid falling for the scam. Having lots of discussion about it is actually good as it helps spread the word about the scams to people who aren't already aware. Not all forum members check the forum daily and they may have missed the other threads about the scams and this thread or the next thread might be the first they hear about it. It also means that if somebody who might not want to sign up to a forum to ask a question does search "LTT youtube comment giveaway" in google then there's a chance they'll find one or more of these threads saying it's a scam.

Putting up an announcement or pinned post isn't going to stop people asking about these scams. All it would do is frustrate the people who are already frustrated when another  person asks, then you'd just get frustrated responses like "ReAd ThE StIcKy PoSt FFS!!!!!1".

If people are frustrated seeing posts about these youtube comment scams then creating a new post or announcement about them is just going to frustrate those people more, isn't going to stop people asking about it causing even more frustration, and isn't going to do a thing to stop people falling for those scams because the people falling for those scams aren't on the forum anyway.

The only people with any real power to disrupt these scams are the creators and Youtube. Complain to them.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 hours ago, dilpickle said:

6 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

That would be a good idea...

Spotty outlined my view too. While I did sarcastically say it in the other thread, like with any sticky, it wouldn't have major effect. People are lazy and get fooled/trolled fairly easily in general. In combination, a sticky would only serve as easy point of merging to for moderation.

Same applies with all threads we are still getting for sites selling cheap hardware and such. Regulars need only look once for the most times to tell scam from shady from legit (and other times are executing "if I don't know it, must be scam" -logic). Does that mean a megathread would help? No, as there really would be only one post there, "Yes, it's fake/scam". In that sense, same applies to 30% of all threads made overall. They are just same question asked again and again. Why do we have forum if third of the posts are in essence reposts?

So overall, if these threads bother you, don't read them. Don't reply to them. Posting, nor reading, is not mandatory here.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Not sure how universal this is, but the 2 or 3 threads that I paid attention to were from people who already contacted the scammer(s), before creating an account on here and asking about it. A pinned thread wouldn't have stopped that.

The channels affected need to make it clear that such accounts do not belong to them via pinned comments, notes in the description (at the very top), a short message at the end of the video, etc.

Yeah, in case anybody doesn't realise, scammers actually try to make it obvious its probably a scam. Seems counter intuitive but it actually serves a very useful function, they don't want to waste their time "working" on people who might eventually realise its a scam so by making it obvious they can, as much as possible, ensure the only people responding are the gullible/vulnerable or trolls.

The people they target are not the type of people who would usually consider reaching out to someone to ask and certainly not go out of their way to make a forum account and read stickies.

With that said though, I echo the sentiments from above, if a sticky can help even 1 person its still a good thing and a net win.

I swear though, I personally cannot fathom how so many people these days are still falling for these types of scams.

Also fun fact, the easiest way to get removed from a scammer call list is to verbally abuse them. Obviously make sure it really is a scam then waste their time as much as you can before letting rip with the insults. These days they actually keep a separate list of known baiters and trolls which gets passed around, all you gotta do is get yourself on that list and the calls will almost entirely stop 🙂

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

32 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I swear though, I personally cannot fathom how so many people these days are still falling for these types of scams.

Desperation, gullibility, etc.