What’s the best way to apply thermal paste to an LGA1151 CPU?

deci
Go to solution Solved by Levent,

I always do a big blob in the center. This is not a big concern in unless you have a threadripper or comparable intel cpu with massive IHS and chiplet design.

I’m building a new computer with an i5-6500 later this week and I want to know what the best way to apply thermal paste would be ahead of time. I’ve heard a lot of things, the widely-known pea-size dot, an X shape, a vertical line shape (I do know that this is mainly for LGA1700), etc.

So I want a definitive answer- what is the best way to apply thermal paste for LGA1151?

Basically not difference when using any legit method.

Cross, spread or large pea/blob.

I've always done a big blob in the center.

I edit my posts more often than not

There is no single best way to apply thermal paste, I had that CPU a bit ago and just did a blob in the middle as the die is located there. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

I always do a big blob in the center. This is not a big concern in unless you have a threadripper or comparable intel cpu with massive IHS and chiplet design.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18