Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Electronic Arts now looking for a buyer. Apple interested?

Kisai

Summary

Looks like Electronic Arts is now wants in on the mergers.

Quotes

Video game publisher Electronic Arts (EA) is actively seeking a potential buyer or merger. Apple has reportedly been in talks with the company about buying EA out according to Puck. Disney and Amazon have also been in talks about purchasing the video game company.

My thoughts

Well, Apple wouldn't be the worst suitor to buy EA, as long as Apple jettisons EA's management. Guess they see the end to their success with the FIFA game. But based on the "suitors" this looks like an IP play to acquire something else to produce a TV/film franchise for.

Sources

https://9to5mac.com/2022/05/23/apple-ea-in-talks/

https://puck.news/brian-roberts-one-that-got-away/ (subscription)

There's two ways to view this, I believe.

1) EA would be acquired by a company with a much better ability to handle real products. Somehow, going to a soulless, Orwellian Mega Corp would actually improve the place.

2) EA is so poisonous that they could infect and make worse said soulless, Orwellian Mega Corp. 

Weird world!

Kinda surprised that Microsoft isn't in the list of buyers, to be honest.

Not just because of their recent streak of acquisitions, but also because they already have a big deal in place with EA - if you have GamePass, you also have EA's own "EA Play".

10 minutes ago, Kisai said:

end to their success with the FIFA game

I ve heard that they will rebrand it. Anyway it started as breaking news about a Year ago,and now every week some company buys another. Let's hope for the best

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Kinda surprised that Microsoft isn't in the list of buyers, to be honest.

Two big gaming enterprise purchases in one year might not go down well with law makers.

Edited by Levent
mY s YsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??
 HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it?
 MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There's two ways to view this, I believe.

1) EA would be acquired by a company with a much better ability to handle real products. Somehow, going to a soulless, Orwellian Mega Corp would actually improve the place.

2) EA is so poisonous that they could infect and make worse said soulless, Orwellian Mega Corp. 

Weird world!

Both EA and Apple are Soulless Companies. it wouldn't make any one better or Worse. Second of all, Apple should NEVER have gotten so big in the first place and there is no Denying that Apple Acquiring EA would be bad. we really don't need Mac exclusive games that are just as Awful and Overpriced as the Apple Ecosystem is itself. 

6 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Kinda surprised that Microsoft isn't in the list of buyers,

don't blame them, who would WANT to be associated with EA at this point?

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

I hope Google buys them so that EA lands on the list of things Google killed.

05Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB 3.0, 3.1 Gen1)

10Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2 (USB 3.1 Gen2)

20Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 

40Gb/s - USB 4.0, Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4

EA was making Apple games back in the IIe days, so would be a nice circular thing. If Apple wants Metal to become a major...whatever it is...they need games made using it to show what it can do, so this would be a way to get there.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

electronic farts and apple is a train wreck i cant wait to see burn to the ground.

the sims 5: apple edition: 60$ game, 20 50$ DLC's and a subscription service to be able to save the game.

given the EA direction... this is actually not too far fetched...

1 hour ago, Rauten said:

-snip-

a. EA is apparently the most toxic workplace in the gaming industry right now and microsoft has enough on it's plate

and b. with the FTC currently keeping an eye on Microsoft's actions regarding acquisitions, another one would very likely get them in hot water and would get them split up into multiple company's.

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

Apple jettisons EA's management

I think that is a given very unlikely for EA management to find it possible to line up how things work inside apple. 

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

the sims 5: apple edition: 60$ game, 20 50$ DLC's and a subscription service to be able to save the game.

Apple tends to under value software, just look at what they charge for Final Cut and Logic. Both are very cheap given what they provide and are one of purchases not subscriptions.   Apple is the reason phone apps are so cheap back when the App Store first shipped they were promoting cheap apps intentionally making it impossible to make an income selling an app for a readable price (yes im a dev). Apple wanted to convince users that they could buy an iPhone and then buy 100s of cheap apps (compared to apps on other phones at the time that were much more costly if you could get them). 

I would not be surprised at all if apple were to acquire EA that they would fold all the IP and titles they could into Apple Arcade, apple does not like having lots of products at once they would much prefure to have a simpler system as they the C level board already have enough meanings talking about their existing product stack and pricing etc if they were to add in another 10+ games per year into this that would never work and the C levels would never delegate that out they would want every game to be discussed just the same as they do any other product they sell.

2 hours ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

we really don't need Mac exclusive games that are just as Awful and Overpriced as the Apple Ecosystem is itself. 

You clearly have never seen apples software pricing. If apple were to make apple platform exclusives these would just be included in Apple Arcade sub and thats it,  apple does not charge much for software they do a very bad job of valuing software, both their own and developers who sell on their platforms. 

22 minutes ago, hishnash said:

I think that is a given very unlikely for EA management to find it possible to line up how things work inside apple. 

Basically, fire everyone responsible for not producing another Wing Commander, Ultima, or Simcity game. Also fire every single person who approved "surprise mechanics".

We know Electronic Arts has been "the big evil" in gaming long before Ubisoft and Activision decided they had to not only be evil, but harm people significantly in the process.

Remember EA "pays QA people in games." Not money. Don't get me started, this is literately the sales pitch when you see them at PAX/ECCC/etc

Apple tends to under value software, just look at what they charge for Final Cut and Logic. Both are very cheap given what they provide and are one of purchases not subscriptions.   Apple is the reason phone apps are so cheap back when the App Store first shipped they were promoting cheap apps intentionally making it impossible to make an income selling an app for a readable price (yes im a dev). Apple wanted to convince users that they could buy an iPhone and then buy 100s of cheap apps (compared to apps on other phones at the time that were much more costly if you could get them). 

Nah, you've framed the narrative from the wrong side. The software isn't cheap, the software is "optional". They could include the full versions of Final Cut and Logic Pro, but they'd have to ship an extra hard drive with the Mac and raise the price further (Logic Pro is 100GB, by itself.) Few people buying Mac's need the "pro" software packages if they aren't working in that field, let alone all of them.

You can actually thank Apple, because without them you wouldn't see Davinci Resolve Studio, and SonyMAGIX Vegas Pro suddenly coming down in price. That said, Davinci Resolve is a product that you need to buy for $400, with or without a "free" editing keyboard. If you don't pay for it, it doesn't use the hardware acceleration (h.264, h.265 encoders and so forth) it's just good enough for youtube and twitter videos under 30 minutes. Honestly I'm surprised the entire video streaming content market didn't wholesale switch to Davinci. I wound up dropping Vegas Pro simply because it was unstable and MAGIX has this contemptable way of pushing ads onto your computer that I've see Corel and Epic also do.

I would not be surprised at all if apple were to acquire EA that they would fold all the IP and titles they could into Apple Arcade, apple does not like having lots of products at once they would much prefure to have a simpler system as they the C level board already have enough meanings talking about their existing product stack and pricing etc if they were to add in another 10+ games per year into this that would never work and the C levels would never delegate that out they would want every game to be discussed just the same as they do any other product they sell.

Well, I can see it playing out three ways.

1. IP for existing games, particularly "The Sims" series gets proper ports to Mac OS

2. IP for existing Xbox/Nintendo console games goes nowhere, PC games that are popular get MacOS ports, everything else remains sidelined. (Apple is known to just abandon software rather than support it.)

3. IP is farmed out to movie/television, Apple produces no games other than a select few IP's that are popular on mobile.

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

Guess they see the end to their success with the FIFA game. But based on the "suitors" this looks like an IP play to acquire something else to produce a TV/film franchise for.

Here me out, maybe they want to make a FIFA TV series then if that is popular they could then do like a FIFA but it real life with real players... 🙃

51 minutes ago, hishnash said:

You clearly have never seen apples software pricing. If apple were to make apple platform exclusives these would just be included in Apple Arcade sub and thats it,  apple does not charge much for software they do a very bad job of valuing software, both their own and developers who sell on their platforms. 

i haven't. because i'm far from an apple user. had an iPhone once. it sucked to use. Macs are not any better. the way it is, if you are at the point where you like MacOS and apple Devices. you have Explicitly stated that you are fine with being Technically Illiterate. apple has made it clear that their goal is to trap people in a Fisher Price Ecosystem by dumbing them down where they think to upgrade every time it breaks a little bit with a Mediocre Knockoff Linux OS that connects to their phone like literally anything else will. if they added EA to that picture and made popular things Exclusive. it would only be worse for the consumers, regardless of prices.

Yeah funny. I remember Ubisoft also was open to the idea hah.

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB |Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL | Mouse: Zowie S1-C |Keyboard: Corsair K63 MX red | OS: Windows 11

A greedy company looking to a buy a greedy company lol.

But I don't see why as EA doesn't make any games for macs.

5 hours ago, Kisai said:

Disney and Amazon

Bad,really really bad.

Both of them force political correctness and censor everything they touch.

Amazon will censor the hell out of new entries from EA like they did with new world...

And Disney will probably won't make games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age anymore because they don't fit their family friendly policies.

As for Apple they are likely to do that as well but to a lesser extent.

Overall all are bad choices.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4.1GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1349cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

5 hours ago, Senzelian said:

I hope Google buys them so that EA lands on the list of things Google killed.

Lmfao, didn't expect that one but very well said!

EA is nothing but a scummy nest full of rats with filthy tricks.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, T5p.2, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, Fidelio X2HR, Meze 99 Classics Walnut/Gold

Earphones: Airpods 2019, Sony WF1000XM3, Sony MDR-E818LP

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080Ti, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280.

1) Can't see it happening unless EA are wanting to turn themselves in to a mobile-only (or at least mobile-first) games studio.

2) Worth pointing out here, that it's EA who are shipping themselves to potential suitors, not the other way around.

I read an article somewhere (I can't remember where) that stated the current CEO of EA was trying to get a deal where it's classed as a "merger", but that he stays in place in an "EA division" of the "merged" companies.

Long & short of it, I think EA are looking for a cash injection but otherwise wants things to proceed as they currently are.

Personally I can't imagine Apple buying any gaming studios unless they're specifically focused on mobile gaming.  Buying a company like EA (purely from a point of view of the types of games it produces) would be a huge departure from their direction over the past decade.

3 hours ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

Mediocre Knockoff Linux OS

Its not linux under the hood, AFAIK its mostly feebsd.

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

(Logic Pro is 100GB, by itself.)

So uhh, no.

image.png.505fca67a0a5eb45a1fe03212d01e607.png

It's got the samples that installed when you open the app (Apple why? If you're gonna force me to download it (or at least nag me to download the needed samples), just package along with app!). That said, I'm the guy who basically uses all external libraries.

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

a Mediocre Knockoff Linux OS

For the record, macOS is based off of BSD and UNiX and thus, technically Linux is a knock off of macOS not the other way around.

Macs are not any better. the way it is, if you are at the point where you like MacOS and apple Devices. you have Explicitly stated that you are fine with being Technically Illiterate.

Well, no.

Not all anyway. I've chosen to use macOS as my main OS since it's audio capabilities are much better than windows (Sorry linux, you just don't have kontakt support yet), and I don't know if you know this, but the more obstacles in the way of doing something, the more likely you're gonna not do it. macOS is better for me in that aspect.

It doesn't mean I'm fine with being tech illiterate (as you've so put it), I use it because it's what works for ME.

btw, the terminal exists on macOS, in case you didn't know (Standard ZSH).

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

16 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

So uhh, no.

image.png.505fca67a0a5eb45a1fe03212d01e607.png

It's got the samples that installed when you open the app (Apple why? If you're gonna force me to download it (or at least nag me to download the needed samples), just package along with app!). That said, I'm the guy who basically uses all external libraries.

That's the size without instrument samples - they're stored separately. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/logicpro/lgcp4598b412/mac

My PCs:

Timothy: 

i7 4790k

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

ASUS GTX 1060 6GB

Corsair Carbide 300R