Build for a friends mother

Budget (including currency): 1500$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: video production, light gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): My friend is thinking about getting her mother a new PC. They have a 1080p 60hz monitor and the brother of my friend would like to play some games on there. I've compiled a list for her and I am wondering if it could be optimized. Here is the list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DreamCat04/saved/F3zXRB.

The question I have is: Is it worth to save a bit on the motherboard and downgrade to a B660 instead of the Z690 that I currently have in there. For their use-case, the 2060 is kinda overkill but I put it in for the nvenc encoder. I also took the dark rock 4 cooler because her previous PC was so loud that my friend could hear it from another room apparently. That way, the fan wouldn't even have to turn up that much

2 hours ago, DreamCat04 said:

Budget (including currency): 1500$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: video production, light gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): My friend is thinking about getting her mother a new PC. They have a 1080p 60hz monitor and the brother of my friend would like to play some games on there. I've compiled a list for her and I am wondering if it could be optimized. Here is the list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DreamCat04/saved/F3zXRB.

The question I have is: Is it worth to save a bit on the motherboard and downgrade to a B660 instead of the Z690 that I currently have in there. For their use-case, the 2060 is kinda overkill but I put it in for the nvenc encoder. I also took the dark rock 4 cooler because her previous PC was so loud that my friend could hear it from another room apparently. That way, the fan wouldn't even have to turn up that much

If I were you I wouldn't waste money on that win 10 key. $95 is just too much. Instead you could get a win 10 key from SCD Keys for $12 when you use the code BFTYC. The money you save on that could be used on the case. If I were you I would get a different case because cable management on that is basically impossible. I have a 220T which is from the same lineup as these cases and I found it very hard to keep the cable neat and tidy on it so in the end after hours of messing around with it I just threw the cables in there. Now if you don't mind cable management you could just keep that case but if you do I would recommend something like the Corsair 4000D or a Corsair 4000X. As for the motherboard, unless you're going to overclock like crazy you wont need the Z690, you could save some money and go for the B660 which should do the job. This is the pcpartpicker list I would go with

Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB for $170 is a bit redundant in my opinion. You could get 1TB nvme drive - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PyhKHx/hp-ex950-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-5ms23aaabc

And save money for a good 144Hz monitor, like AOC 24G2

Also - good DDR4 3600Mhz is not that much more than 3200Mhz - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ckvbt6/patriot-viper-steel-16-gb-2-x-8-gb-ddr4-3600-cl17-memory-pvs416g360c7k

I edit my posts more often than not

1 hour ago, LUC1D said:

If I were you I wouldn't waste money on that win 10 key. $95 is just too much. Instead you could get a win 10 key from SCD Keys for $12 when you use the code BFTYC. The money you save on that could be used on the case.

The OS was just a placeholder. Is it vetter to go with Win10 or Win11? I know that in Win11, you can actually make proper use of the P and E cores but it also still has some imperfections 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 11:54 AM, DreamCat04 said:

The OS was just a placeholder. Is it vetter to go with Win10 or Win11? I know that in Win11, you can actually make proper use of the P and E cores but it also still has some imperfections 

If i were you i would go with windows 10 for now then upgrade to windows 11 a year or two later because windows 11 is still new and lots of developers still havent made their software compatible with windows 11 and it has quite a lot of bugs. That's just my opinion of course so dont take it too seriously. Also sorry for the late reply.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($286.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler  ($74.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: GeIL Orion AMD Edition 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate SkyHawk Surveillance 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.90 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS GP OC Video Card  ($309.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Metallic Gear Neo Silent ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: LG 32QN600-B 32.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor  ($258.20 @ Amazon) 
UPS: CyberPower CP850PFCLCD UPS  ($154.96 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1558.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-06 11:10 EDT-0400