Laptop Throttling

Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 14 5415, with a Ryzen 7 5700U. As I  attempt to use both the GPU and CPU at the same time both only go to about 50% utilization. According to HWinfo64 my laptop is power throttled with its included 65w power adapter. If I buy the upgraded 130w edition of the charger will I get better performance of the GPU and CPU. I tried contacting dell, they kept telling me to update the drivers and that will fix the error. I tried telling them that I was only interested in knowing if I would get better performance but had no success,

Please Help me

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3400G @ 3.1 GHZ, RAM: Teamgroup elite 12gb DDR4 @3200mhz, MOBO: GA-A320M-S2H v1, GPU: Gigabyte Rtx 3060 OC 12 GB, CASE: Old Antec one i found, PSU: CV750 Corsair

go into the settings and make sure its not on power saving mode or anything, if that doesnt work go into services and disable the "power" service to force off all windows throttling features.

if that doesnt work it may be something in the bios.

edit: i misread the question, i thought you said "i will get better performance" instead of "will i get better performance", sorry.

no it will not affect performance.

PC Specifications: Intel i9-14900KF, 5.9GHz all core locked, 5GHz ring, 1.45v Medium LLC, E-cores and HT disabled | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 + Thermal Grizzly contact frame | 2x16 G.Skill Trident Z5 7400MHz 34-44-44-34 1T 1.45v (Tuned Subtimings, Hynix A-Die) | Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX | Windows 10 Home 64-Bit EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Phanteks P400A (Black non-rgb version, Phanteks T30 fans 3 intake (On AIO), 1 exhaust) | SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB PCIE 4.0 (Boot drive), Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SATA

Displays: MSI MAG 271QPX 1440p 360Hz 27" QD-OLED | LG UltraGear 27GP950-B, 4K 144Hz (@120hz) 27" IPS (Both use no DSC, No HDR, and 8BPC)

Desktop Audio: STAX SR-007 MK2 Electrostatic Headphones | STAX SRM-400S Amp | Schiit Bifrost 2/64 (NOS mode, USB in, XLR out)

Mobile Audio: Sennheiser IE 900 IEMs using included 4.4mm cable | FiiO KA13 "Desktop mode" Disabled

Peripherals: Razer Huntsman V2 Full size wired with linear optical switch | Logitech G502 Hero

The 5700U is (generally) a 15W chip in this case yours is a 15W, the entire chip is going to be pulling 15W, so a 130W charger is not likely to give any difference over the 65W charger that it comes with, 15W is 15W no matter how much power is supplied. The 5700U is also not overclockable so the performance you have is most likely a thermal limit, according to Dell the panel is <5W and the 5700U is 15W max, so the system is probably pulling at max 35W total at 100% CPU+GPU load full brightness. 

At best, the 100W charger would allow it to charge more quickly if it allowed 100W of input.

In regards to the drivers, it would be a good idea to update drivers and see if performance changes at all.

so what does this mean when it says that the cpu is pulling 25 and the gpu is pulling 24-25

also is my laptop any good?

ltt upload.png

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3400G @ 3.1 GHZ, RAM: Teamgroup elite 12gb DDR4 @3200mhz, MOBO: GA-A320M-S2H v1, GPU: Gigabyte Rtx 3060 OC 12 GB, CASE: Old Antec one i found, PSU: CV750 Corsair

Can you run Cinebench R23 (to maximize the CPU) and Furmark or 3D Firestrike (to maximize GPU)?

Then check, how much Watt the whole "CPU Package" draws, including CPU + GPU + other things that are part of the CPU Package.

Each of these Benchmarks should get the CPU or GPU to 100% usage.

If that stays well below 60 Watt, you will most likely not not get any different Performance.

In Fact, i believe, the Power Adapter has nothing to say here. Your Chip draws as much power, as it is allowed to. Based on Temperatures, Watt TDP, Powerstates, etc.

If it were to draw more Power than your Power adapter can provice, it should simply take the needed rest from the Battery, which will cause your battery to go empty despite beeing plugged in.

In your Screenshot, Throttle Reason is "Power". I think, this isn't because of your Power Adapter.

But a CPU can only draw xx Watt as a maximum. Whatever AMD / Dell configured into the Firmware/Bios. It will never go above that.

If they say, the CPU Package can not go above 50W, then it won't. No matter what.