New house has speakers everywhere (10 pairs, 20 speakers) - need amp

Allan B

I just purchased a house and the entire house has speakers in every room.  Each room has 2 speakers in the ceiling or wall.  There is also a volume nob on the wall in each room near the speakers.  The wiring goes to a single area in the basement, I am assume the 2 speakers in each room are connected in series or parallel with a single wire (+ and -) going through the volume nob per room (nothing is labeled at all).  If i were to guess these speakers are not cheap either, the ceiling ones have a tweeter in the middle, the wall ones are fairly large.  The guy had well over 500 records when I viewed the house, he was definitely into listening to music, which makes me assume they need some decent power to operate.

My main question is what should I be looking for in an amplifier to power all these (20) speakers?  Anything specific i should look for?  Ohms? Watts? I assume my Denon 7.1 home theater amp with a 2nd zone, does not have the juice to run 20 speakers and would probably die in a day if i connected it.

I know Linus had some of this setup in his "I need help - Tech House Move Day1", but they just mention svs and i assuming what Linus is doing is way over kill for what i am looking for (I don't want subs in my rooms for ambient audio).  I don't want or need individual zone control for different sounds in different rooms either.  Just looking for something basic to play the same thing through the entire house, the source can be music or other ( i do have a chrome cast audio collecting dust).  It would be nice if I could adjust input or power (on\off) on my phone but that is not a requirement (I already have volume nobs in each room). 

1 hour ago, Allan B said:

I just purchased a house and the entire house has speakers in every room.  Each room has 2 speakers in the ceiling or wall.  There is also a volume nob on the wall in each room near the speakers.  The wiring goes to a single area in the basement, I am assume the 2 speakers in each room are connected in series or parallel with a single wire (+ and -) going through the volume nob per room (nothing is labeled at all).  If i were to guess these speakers are not cheap either, the ceiling ones have a tweeter in the middle, the wall ones are fairly large.  The guy had well over 500 records when I viewed the house, he was definitely into listening to music, which makes me assume they need some decent power to operate.

My main question is what should I be looking for in an amplifier to power all these (20) speakers?  Anything specific i should look for?  Ohms? Watts? I assume my Denon 7.1 home theater amp with a 2nd zone, does not have the juice to run 20 speakers and would probably die in a day if i connected it.

I know Linus had some of this setup in his "I need help - Tech House Move Day1", but they just mention svs and i assuming what Linus is doing is way over kill for what i am looking for (I don't want subs in my rooms for ambient audio).  I don't want or need individual zone control for different sounds in different rooms either.  Just looking for something basic to play the same thing through the entire house, the source can be music or other ( i do have a chrome cast audio collecting dust).  It would be nice if I could adjust input or power (on\off) on my phone but that is not a requirement (I already have volume nobs in each room). 

You'd really need to pull one of each out and see what they are specifically. At the very least, send some photos here and see if we can identify them.

Without the RMS of each speaker--that is impossible to recommend.

On 5/24/2022 at 12:02 AM, Blue4130 said:

You'd really need to pull one of each out and see what they are specifically. At the very least, send some photos here and see if we can identify them.

Sorry for the late reply, i don't live in the house yet (2 more weeks) but i did go up on the weekend and tried to trace the setup and took some pictures.  I unfortunately didn't remove a speaker to see the back of it.  I can do that next weekend when i am back up (i was rushing, this took longer then i thought)

The system starts with a L and R +/- supper thick wire from where an AMP was to this phenix gold distribution thing.  Numbers 1-4 are connected and have labels, each number seems to have up to 6 speakers connected (3 pairs)

image.thumb.jpeg.9f4ad94906449788b1cf9a119b6c5c67.jpeg

For each pair of speakers there is a volume nob that looks like this.  

image.thumb.jpeg.4252e6210547c2062178399e0bd3723f.jpeg 

Most of the speakers look like this (14 of them) 

convert20220528_033330618_iOS.JPG.6f32e08180d1f93e633afdf31ddc6276.JPG

Wall ones are like this (6 of them)

convert20220528_025034970_iOS.JPG.892766b38b87bc1fe40144b6e9fa124f.JPG

And the last 2 which I believe is #3 on the phoenix gold device are these that say Paradigm.

convert20220528_025012999_iOS.JPG.5114dccd1e559834e45ee494ac9bbc83.JPG