Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Case, Good Storage, and DVD-RW drive (Build for Aerospace Engineer)

Posted (edited)

Budget (including currency): $1500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Star Wars Battlefront II (2017), Java programming, VB programming, virtualization, CAD, Civilization lineup, MS SQL

Other details:  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/by9zPX

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/by9zPX

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($342.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660 GAMING X AX DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Silicon Power 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($49.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB GAMING X Video Card  ($454.99 @ GameStop)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($25.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM 64-bit  ($159.97 @ Amazon)
Total: $1203.88

Ok, this is my build so far. I am a gamer and I am also going into aerospace engineering. I was wanting to know, based on the information that I have presented, whether I should go HDD or SSD? I am also, if at all possible, wanting to install a CD-DVD-RW drive in my new build. I am needing help finding a case that will allow me to install a dvd drive. Lastly, I was wanting some suggestions on what PSU I should get for this system?

Thanks in advance,

WeTuLo

Edited by WeTuLo707

Id get a ssd for boot, booting from a hdd is extremely slow these days. How much storage space do you need? For only a few games, a 1TB SSD should be plenty of space.

Id personally get a usb dvd drive if you need one, then you can move it around between systems as needed. IDK what your using your DVD drive for, but I don't use one very often these days.

18 minutes ago, WeTuLo707 said:

whether I should go HDD or SSD?

You always go ssd unless you need a low cost storage solution for a large amount of data. Or are working on a machine that is so old and proprietary that it doesn't have an ssd solution.

Also you are wasting 160$ on a windows 11 license when you can just use windows 10 for free and get a better gpu. The current gpu you've selected isn't very good

Your OS drive should be an SSD. That's not even a question for a modern Windows or Mac system. Given that you want virtualization too I'd recommend at least 1TB. You don't need the fastest SSD, even a SATA SSD will do although at today's prices a budget PCIe Gen 3 SSD is actually cheaper and faster.

Virtualization, CAD and SQL Server are all reasons to upgrade to 32GB of RAM.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, emosun said:

You always go ssd unless you need a low cost storage solution for a large amount of data. Or are working on a machine that is so old and proprietary that it doesn't have an ssd solution.

Also you are wasting 160$ on a windows 11 license when you can just use windows 10 for free and get a better gpu. The current gpu you've selected isn't very good

Where can I get windows 10 for free?

Edited by WeTuLo707

12 minutes ago, WeTuLo707 said:

Where can I get windows 10 for free?

Microsoft. You just download it