Very high idle temps (3800XT watercooled)

Hey all,

I just made a account on here because i need your help/advise. I build a new system (Specs below) roughly 2 years ago and nog i am suddenly getting very high idle temps om my cpu. When i build the system i overclocked the cpu to 4.5 ghz 1.4 core voltage on all cores and had a stable temps between 35c and 42c idle when in Windows. All the sudden these temps in idle mode went up to around 50+ when doing nothing (This is also stated in the Bios). Cpu is running @ about 2-3%. and when starting up a game that requires alot of cpu to start i.e. Fortnite the temp spike to 95 + and some cases even higher making my system reboot. I have reset the bios to stockand even tried to undervolt but the problem remains. The pump is running as it should be and so are the fans. They also ramp up as the temp gets higher and there is no blockage of the airflow in the radiator and the fluid level have not decayed. Could it be a faulty CPU or did my AIO mess up? 

Asus X-570 E-Gaming (Latest Bios)

AMD 3800XT now running stock

Corsair Obsidian 1000D (8 fans mounted on the front)

Alphacool Eisbaer 280mm mounted on the top (Dual 140mm fans)

Geforce 1080 watercooled with a Kraken X53 / NZXT Kraken G12 120 mounted to the rear (4 120mm fans) 

Windows 11 (Latest updates)

Hope someone can help!

temps idle.jpg

Those temperatures are in line with every single water cooled ryzen build I came across. Including mine when it was watercooled. Nothing wrong here. Air cooling results in lower idle temperatures in most cases.

You just have too much heat generated through that CPU. In any case as recommended coolant flush and thermal paste change might improve your thermals a bit.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1.4v is a lot. With Zen2 I would use 1.3375v as my max all core all load voltage. But that’s just me..

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

Sounds like you probably just need a repaste of the CPU cooler. May be worth checking the pump duty cycle as well inside the BIOS (aka 'fan' speed) seeing as you did reset the BIOS. This could be running the pump a little slow.

i5-12600KF @ 5ghz (1.18v)

EVGA RTX 2080 8GB 2080mhz + G12 AIO Thermaltake 240mm

Corsair 16gb Vengeance RGB 3600mhz C16
CPU-Z Single-thread: 803 || CPU-Z Multi-thread: 7948
Fire Strike GPU Score: 29,784

45 minutes ago, Frost_NL said:

starting up a game that requires alot of cpu to start i.e. Fortnite the temp spike to 95 + and some cases even higher making my system reboot. I have reset the bios to stockand even tried to undervolt but the problem remains. The pump is running as it should be and so are the fans.

Sounds like the most "the pump is dead" description you can give. If it spikes to 95c when doing anything CPU related, you basically don't have a cooler attached to the cpu.

So why do you think the pump "is running as it should", because it sounds like exactly the opposite is true?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I did repaste the the cpu cooler with Kryonaut even. Still the temps remain the same. As for the AIO i could do a complete refill but i have taking in out of the case already and there is no sign of air. Also the pump is running at about 2500 to 2600 rpm as it should according to the Alphacool site.

Also i have set everything in the bios back to stock and even lowered the voltage to 1.2 volts but again the idle temp stays the same.

Ow also i do know the pump is running because when the system is on i pulled off the connector from the pumpconnector on the MB and i could see it stop moving en the temps rising. When i plugged it back in the temps dropped to the ones you see in the screenshot:)

• 3 months later...

I've just seen this and have a fairly similar config as yourself - Ryzen 7 3800XT, Corsair 115i AIO.

Idle temperatures are about 40C, and spikes at around the high 70C's.

95C+ seems rather high!

Is your AIO fans set to push or pull? (Is it drawing fresh air in through the radiator from outside, or venting warm air from inside?)