Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building A Game Server (Ark Survival)

Hey everyone, I need some thoughts on a few things. So I am building a new tower/server to host a game called Ark Survival. The game needs insane amount of Ram and good single core speeds.
My last build I used was AMD 5950x, MEG X570 Unify mobo,128gb ddr4 3200, Two Inland 1TB SSD m.2 2280 pcie nvme 3.01.25G Gigabit Network Card (NIC) with Intel I350-AM4 Controller - 10/100/1000Mbps PCI

This build seemed to work really well to host up to 80 players. I ended up shutting down my Ark Servers last year and turned that computer into a gaming PC. Well I want to re-start my game server and will be building a new tower but would like some feedback/help on it.

What cpu/mobo would you guys choose for running a game server? I'm torn if i should stick with the AMD 5950x, or something else. As far as speed for the m.2 drives would you guys think running RAID 0 would benefit anything for the game?

Also using a good NIC would help too right since the game could see 100+ players easy.

I think getting like a 980pro with insane read/writes should be fine but i'm a noob when it comes to these things.

15 minutes ago, OG-Tron said:

The game needs insane amount of Ram and good single core speeds.

If you want it immediately, then go Intel 12th Gen. If you are willing to wait, wait for AMD 7000 Series, and get DDR5 since the memory controller on the 7000 Series is decent. Also, why do you need a 5950x for a single core performance limited application?

I think you shouldn't go for raid 0 but rather raid 1 because dataloss is something you probably don't want.

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

33 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

If you want it immediately, then go Intel 12th Gen. If you are willing to wait, wait for AMD 7000 Series, and get DDR5 since the memory controller on the 7000 Series is decent. Also, why do you need a 5950x for a single core performance limited application?

Ark only needs 1 or 2 cores to run so having more speed out of them is what i've read is the best.

33 minutes ago, CustomEnchants said:

I think you shouldn't go for raid 0 but rather raid 1 because dataloss is something you probably don't want.

I've never ran Raid 1. I might have to try it out

1 hour ago, OG-Tron said:

Ark only needs 1 or 2 cores to run so having more speed out of them is what i've read is the best.

Again, if it only needs 1-2 cores, why get such an expensive CPU? 

Anyways, just get an i3 12100 (or i3 12300/ i5 12400), 4 cores 8 threads, better single core performance, while being $130 US depending on who you get it from. If you are not running multiple servers (for this application), you don't need 16 cores, or even 8 cores. 

When your run multiple maps on one computer you need more cores. Running on a 1950x it would have serious lag with 60 players. When I upgraded to 5950x it was solid. 

I think I will do another 5950x build. I'll take @CustomEnchantsidea and do a raid 1.

Whwb players raid and Turret towers are going off is when you really can feel lag. I think this would be apart of thr network. Any suggestions on this? I was running a expensive nic but I don't know any other tricks that could help network performance 

Just now, OG-Tron said:

When your run multiple maps on one computer you need more cores. Running on a 1950x it would have serious lag with 60 players. When I upgraded to 5950x it was solid. 

Ah, you may also be missing the single core performance differenceimage.thumb.png.3ccafad0fb0a10ceba6a50a75d2e3491.png

3497 vs 2291 1.5x difference in performance, 1.5x difference in number of players. (3497/2291 and 80/60)

Anywho, I would still go Intel, especially for more single core performance. Try going for a 12700.

22 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Ah, you may also be missing the single core performance differenceimage.thumb.png.3ccafad0fb0a10ceba6a50a75d2e3491.png

3497 vs 2291 1.5x difference in performance, 1.5x difference in number of players. (3497/2291 and 80/60)

Anywho, I would still go Intel, especially for more single core performance. Try going for a 12700.

Alright. Guess if it doesn't work out to good, I can use it as a new gaming pc lol 

4 minutes ago, OG-Tron said:

Alright. Guess if it doesn't work out to good, I can use it as a new gaming pc lol 

Oh and BTW

22 hours ago, OG-Tron said:

image.thumb.png.3ef552ebc419f97bbff6bf43e0737524.pngThey both have 16 cores.

image.png.cc6ddca528dca99085f3c56d6cf80de5.png

It literally was all down to single core performance, which once again, Intel is better at. I am not a fanboy for Intel, but we are here to give you the best advice we can, and for the same money you can have a better processor that will host more people. Please, for the love of all that is holy, neither brand cares about you, just use the best one for your application.

On 5/25/2022 at 8:37 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

Oh and BTW

It literally was all down to single core performance, which once again, Intel is better at. I am not a fanboy for Intel, but we are here to give you the best advice we can, and for the same money you can have a better processor that will host more people. Please, for the love of all that is holy, neither brand cares about you, just use the best one for your application.

Yea. I think ill try the Intel build. What would you think for a good NIC and all the traffic? I know that running a good nic that has a cpu chip on it helps vs your normal cpu. Or you think the one i got is fine?1.25G Gigabit Network Card (NIC) with Intel I350-AM4 Controller - 10/100/1000Mbps PCI

On 5/25/2022 at 8:37 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

Oh and BTW

Here we go. This is gonna be the build minus the NIC. I'll run raid 1 with the fire cudas as you mentioned.

ouch.png

55 minutes ago, OG-Tron said:

Here we go. This is gonna be the build minus the NIC. I'll run raid 1 with the fire cudas as you mentioned.

That RAM is stupid expensive, you might wanna go for a cheaper alternative. DDR5 is way overpriced right now.

On 5/27/2022 at 9:35 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

That RAM is stupid expensive, you might wanna go for a cheaper alternative. DDR5 is way overpriced right now.

Yea I know. 700$ for 64gb. But I'm going for it! If its meh, I have 128gb kit ddr4 for backup 

On 5/29/2022 at 3:57 PM, OG-Tron said:

Yea I know. 700$ for 64gb. But I'm going for it! If its meh, I have 128gb kit ddr4 for backup 

You would need a new mobo for DDR4. You might wanna do some "benchmarks" on the arc server and determine what configuration works best, and return the rest. Benchmarks being setting up the server, and getting as many people as possible to join, and determining the lag point. I would imagine 100+ people, especially if you get the 12900KS